MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Chan CS

Lutong Airport

Just to share some pictures of Miri old airport, the Lutong Airport, I don't know what is the code for it, hope someone here can identify.

One thing for sure is this airport no longer operating, and I have no idea about the history at all, like when it started operation, handle what types of a/c, when it ended operation etc etc etc... One thing for sure is this place became the place for drag racers! You can search online too find some of the videos too, in youtube.

Okay, welcome to Lutong Airport. Here is the tarmac, I see no terminal, and I believe there was no terminal at all.

tarmac.gif

Helipad

H1.gif

A number for a/c to park I believe

5.gif

Some marks

drifting.gif

The runway itself, 11

runway11.gif

The runway 29 at the other end ( Please confirm whether it's 29 or 25? I can't see clearly... Hehe...)

29.gif

Looking towards 11, sea at the background

29a.gif

Another helipad marks, which I strongly believe helicopters still land here...

H2.gif

H3.gif

For me, this airport is full of mystery, I really hope someone from local can tell us more about it.

Enjoy the pictures, although I know there is nothing to see... Hehe...

Chan

Nice photos Chan :) have not been there before... lived in Miri for few years when I was still a child :D then moved back to Kuching :lol:

WMLU , runway 11/29 :pardon:

anyone know when does this air field close and move to the new airport? :huh:

Edited by LeeTZ

Thanks for the code, where you got it? I can't search it online at all.... Haha....

For a start, you can check out the Malaysian AIP.

For a start, you can check out the Malaysian AIP.

From what little that i know this was the only air strip serving Miri. When the current Miri airfield was opened this continued to be used by Sarawak Shell Bhd. Small fixed wing aircraft and choppers utolised this facility. the choppers was mainly for trips to the oil rigs off shore. The fixed wings was for flights to KK & Bintulu maybe Anduki in Brunei.

I remember flights stopped using this in the mid 90s

Hey Charles, thanks for your info! Really appreciate it! At least I know more now, and yes, the Petronas Miri branch is just located near the airport!

Btw, the Anduki airport you mentioned, is this one?

bruneiairstrip.gif

After a search in google I can roughly confirm it is the one that you've mentioned, because it is located near Seria, while my flight was desceding to MYY last month. But just want to confirm.

I was wondering about the Anduki airstrip, do you have any info whether or not it is still operating?

Delwin, if not mistaken, last time when you on the way come BKI also spot this airstrip right? i mean the one in Chan last post.

Delwin, if not mistaken, last time when you on the way come BKI also spot this airstrip right? i mean the one in Chan last post.

The one I spotted was different. Mine was taken during descend to BKI.

I was wondering about the Anduki airstrip, do you have any info whether or not it is still operating?

Anduki is still very much operational. Brunei Shell helicopters are based there. Used to be S-61s, now 3 units of S-92 sikorsky.

Anduki is near Seria, which may be spotted when approaching MYY, ...certainly not when approaching BKI.

Edited by mushrif a

Hey Charles, thanks for your info! Really appreciate it! At least I know more now, and yes, the Petronas Miri branch is just located near the airport!

Btw, the Anduki airport you mentioned, is this one?

bruneiairstrip.gif

After a search in google I can roughly confirm it is the one that you've mentioned, because it is located near Seria, while my flight was desceding to MYY last month. But just want to confirm.

spot on this is indeed Anduki

Anduki airfield is operational. Brunei Shell uses it for its Helicopters mainly 3 S-92 to transport workers to oil rigs.

img9998cr2smallqv1.jpg

Brunei Shell sold it's old helicopters though after 20 over years of service.

To : All BSP/BLNG/BST/BSM Staff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Friday 7th September the three BSP S61N helicopters were handed over to their new owners in a small signing ceremony at the BSP Head Office. This sale of the old helicopters marked the completion of another phase of the BSP helicopter fleet transition and the culmination of an immense amount of activity by BSP personnel. Sikorsky S61N aircraft were first purchased by the BSP Aviation Department in 1967 and they have served the company well over this 40-year period. The Aviation Department has received international recognition for its safety record as an operator of the S61N and many SAV staff have served their entire professional careers maintaining, flying and supporting the type.

The helicopter sale followed a rigorous public tender process run by SCM, SAV and the SIEP Global Category Manager-Aviation and included a large inventory of surplus spare parts, ground support equipment and special maintenance tooling. Many companies responded to the request for tenders and the successful bid went to Carson Helicopters Inc of Pennsylvania, USA. Carson operate a large fleet of S61s primarily in aerial fire-fighting and heli-logging operations and the company previously purchased an S61N from BSP in 1995.

BSP ceased offshore flights with the S61N fleet on May 31st this year, but the aircraft still needed regular maintenance inspections and ground runs since then and this added to the workload of the Aviation Department while simultaneously managing the demands of the new helicopter. The S61Ns have been positioned to Muara in preparation for shipment to the USA later this week. The last BSP S61N flight was on Friday morning and was commanded by Capt. Frayne Coulshaw assisted by Capt. Hj Muhd Hasni Hj Md Hussain. The helicopter, registration number V8-BSP, departed from Anduki at 1055 and flew past Head Office before continuing the short flight to Muara. After landing, registration markings and data plates were removed by SAV personnel before the helicopters were formally de-registered by the Department of Civil Aviation.

Thanks go to the many people who assisted with this successful disposal project from many BSP departments including SAV, SCM, FAC and LGL.

Helicopter operations continue with the new fleet of three Sikorsky S92A helicopters which represent the latest design standard for offshore helicopter support.