MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
affendi osman

MH A330 Emergency Landing @ KUL Today

While watching news on TV3 just now, there was a report about MH A330 (PEN-KUL MH 1145) involved in a hydraulic problem and attempted an emergency landing at KUL in the afternoon. No footage of the plane was shown except for the arrival hall clip. Any info about this?

Kudos to the crew.... :drinks:

No, but there was another mishap in Indonesia.

CCJ.jpg

Excerp of news for those who can't read Bahasa Indonesia:

A Sriwijaya Air Boeing 737-300 (PK-CJC) flight SJ 6 from Jakarta overshoot the runway at Depati Amir Airport in Pangkal Pinang, Bangka Belitung at 17:15 on 18 April 2008. Basically the aircraft started touching the 1,800 meter runway at the airport at 1/3 of the length which resulted in the mishap. 144 passengers were denied death. The saviour of the mishap was the open grass field at the end of the runway where the aircraft was laid to rest after being off the runway for 25 meter.

Among the 144 passengers, there were many foreign nationals onboard too; Kazakhstan (5), China (10), Thailand (10) and Iran (3) all of whom were heading to a beach volleyball tournament there. This is the first reported mishap for Sriwijaya Air, who seems to have a clean safety record among all LCCs in Indonesia.

maybe it is all about speed! otherwise the plane won't start to touchdown at 1/3 of the runway length.

same case like GA crash before i guess.

No, digression from glide slope itself can cause touchdown at 1/3 of runway -- at whatever speed.

144 passengers were denied death

:D :D

Perhaps not quite precisely conveying the message there !

As I understand it - "fortunately there were no fatalities in the said incident" :)

flaps are up....did have time for after landing checklist

...a very good observation indeed ..your looking at a possible cause here, high and fast thus unable to extend flaps in the process..it should be the evac checklist they should be running , and that calls for flaps down i think :rolleyes:

Edited by Wira Azmi

... This is the first reported mishap for Sriwijaya Air, who seems to have a clean safety record among all LCCs in Indonesia.

That pilot surely kena 'hantam ' for tarnishing the record...

Bad news for Indonesian aviation.

About the flaps, can it be the pilots retracted them after the plane came to halt? or the flaps jammed after the plane came to a stop and no way pilots could retract them, thus showing the flaps are up.

BTW, the article title reads 'Hundreds of Passangers Screaming'

Edited by Yusoff

Well, airplanes are just like cars. You don't really damage the internal system just by driving your car on the grass. It's possible that the flight crew decided not to evacuate as there's no real threat there. Unnecessary evacuation can cause a lot of problem like injury.

Edited by Khaled

Guest Michael

There was news going around on The Edge site saying that they are going to retire the A330 planes quite soon apparently. Can anybody else confirm this?

...or,could it be the plane have problems with the flaps...therefore flapless landing,high speed and resulting in going off the runway?

If it's my flight, I'll strongly recommend the capt to divert. Flaps 15 landing at 1800m runway pretty tough...now add 144 pax inside. :blink:

It's possible that the flight crew decided not to evacuate as there's no real threat there. Unnecessary evacuation can cause a lot of problem like injury.

That was exactly my 'question' in the other thread: the airport was even able to put stairs there for disembarkation :blink:

you're right, Khaled, flapless on a 1800m runway and touching down at high speed with 1200m left, is bound for 'disaster'...very lucky, indeed, no one was hurt/injured/killed in this mishap !!!

That was exactly my 'question' in the other thread: the airport was even able to put stairs there for disembarkation :blink:

you're right, Khaled, flapless on a 1800m runway and touching down at high speed with 1200m left, is bound for 'disaster'...very lucky, indeed, no one was hurt/injured/killed in this mishap !!!

If its indeed a flapless or flaps15 landing,then the decision to continue and land might not be very prudent...unless there is something that we dont know eg fuel policy not allowing you to have enough fuel to divert to a better airfield.Some LCCs are known to carry very minimal fuel to reduce operating cost.Whatever it is,good to know no one got seriously hurt...

Sign in to follow this