MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Attan

RV12

For those who are saving to buy a kitplane, this RV12 is worth waiting for. It uses the Rotax 912 engine which is mogas-fuelled:

The designer and manufacturer is of course Dick VanGrunsven who is seated behind me in this picture. In the middle front row is Australian Jon Johansson, famous for making the first round the world flight in an RV6 and later making another 2 round the world flights (one in the opposite direction) in RV6s.

famousaviatorsea2.jpg

Edited by Attan

Yeah, taken at LIMA in 1991 or 1993 or 1995......gosh, I just can't remember. Am now skipping lunch every day so that I can save enough to buy one. Should not cost more than USD50,000.

Dick Van Grunsven sounds and looks like a "flying dutchman" if he's not American/Canadian by now :pardon:

Hi Capt.

My senior in US is having RV-6. While I was at Arizona for training, he was showing me his RV-6. Cool...

He said, he buying parts by part and built it himself over 5 years in the making. He also having his own hangar as small airport in Arizona.

Nice kitplanes these RV's...

Are the RV6 and RV9 still in SZB, Capt Attan?..

So hopefully we'll see an RV12 either Subang or Sempang

after you shed off some weight, eh?... hahaha..

anyway... just about the price of a Camry there... :pardon:

There's one RV9 9M-EAX at SZB and probably a few RV6s somewhere in the country. However the RV12 is totally different from the rest - removable wings for trailerage, mogas powered, cockpit moved forward so that wing spar does not encroach into cabin (more legroom), fully digital panel. Fuel capacity 20 gallons which can last 3 hours 20 minutes. Cruise is 120 knots, so KUL to PEN is only 1 hour 20 minutes.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/images/RV-12/p...d/RV-12e_sm.jpg

http://www.vansaircraft.com/images/RV-12/1...ll_panel_sm.jpg

Edited by Attan

Yeah, taken at LIMA in 1991 or 1993 or 1995......gosh, I just can't remember. Am now skipping lunch every day so that I can save enough to buy one. Should not cost more than USD50,000.

Is that RTF with full avionics or is it the kit price? If its RTF then its damn cheap considerin the Rotorway Exec is just USD68K

Is that RTF with full avionics or is it the kit price? If its RTF then its damn cheap considerin the Rotorway Exec is just USD68K

Hi Nik

Good to see your posts often here and thanks for the updates you've been giving us. We really appreciate them.

The RV12 avionics are not really the Bendix/King, Collins or Honeywell types, so they are rather cheap. Van mentioned the Dynon EFIS/engine monitor which is around USD2,400 or the AF-3500 combined EFIS/engine monitor which is around USD3,800. I was estimating the kit price including engine based on his current more powerful models. Of course we have to add in the construction cost if one does not build it oneself. The manufacturer has yet to reveal their prices.

Allo Kapitan Attan,

Below is my conversation with my senior this morning. Look like for experimental aircraft, no license is require in US. Syoook aaaah...

[08:51] planerv6: USD 50K, that sounds high for rv-12...

[08:51] planerv6: rv-12 is sport category

[08:51] planerv6: no license required here

[08:53] planerv6: I built my rv-6 for 29k

[08:54] planerv6: it depends on the panel options and engine options.

[08:54] planerv6: that is where the cost comes in.

[08:54] planerv6: the kit is fairly cheap

[08:54] b772capt: but i heard... RV-12 will using LCD panel

[08:54] b772capt: and... burn fuel is much afficient.. full tank can fly more than 3 hours

[08:55] planerv6: rotax engine I think...

[09:00] planerv6: and BTW it took me 5 years to build my plane so I spread the cost out

Allo Kapitan Attan,

Below is my conversation with my senior this morning. Look like for experimental aircraft, no license is require in US. Syoook aaaah...

[08:51] planerv6: USD 50K, that sounds high for rv-12...

[08:51] planerv6: rv-12 is sport category

[08:51] planerv6: no license required here

[08:53] planerv6: I built my rv-6 for 29k

[08:54] planerv6: it depends on the panel options and engine options.

[08:54] planerv6: that is where the cost comes in.

[08:54] planerv6: the kit is fairly cheap

[08:54] b772capt: but i heard... RV-12 will using LCD panel

[08:54] b772capt: and... burn fuel is much afficient.. full tank can fly more than 3 hours

[08:55] planerv6: rotax engine I think...

[09:00] planerv6: and BTW it took me 5 years to build my plane so I spread the cost out

Hi Faizal

Your friend is in a better position to gauge the aircraft cost. I also think that USD50,000 is the upper limit but Van is not indicating any price at the moment. The Rotax 912 is about USD17,000 and the kit price wil also depend on whether it is a "quick-build" or "regular" kit. In your friend's case I suspect it was a "regular" kit as he paid very little and spent a long time building it. So when are you getting yours? Maybe I can help in the construction by holding the tols for you as you work.

Sign in to follow this