MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H Azmal

MAS MEX Termination...

I do remember that MAS used to fly to MEX via LAX...but not anymore.

Questions:

1) What was the primary reason for the termination of the service?

2) What was the pax load like?

3) How long was it before MAS last flew to MEX?

Another not-so related question:

Assuming there is enough demand for MAS to start flying to ORD or even YYZ, what route would it probably take? Back to reality, is there enough demand for MAS to start flying there?

Thanks!

Guest Fendy

1) mexican authorities revoked their 5th freedom rights, because operating 744s LAX-MEX was hurting the mexican and american airlines.

2) average 90%

3) terminated in 1998

Assuming there is enough demand for MAS to start flying to ORD or even YYZ, what route would it probably take?  Back to reality, is there enough demand for MAS to start flying there?

Thanks!

11112[/snapback]

Not sure. For ORD, i think MAS can try to get the 5th freedom traffic rights at MUC or AMS. As for YYZ, i think it's time for MAS try to get the traffic rights between TPE and YYZ again. If they get it, they can re-route their LAX flight back to NRT, which i think has a better premium traffic. SQ is doing great for their NRT-LAX-NRT flight, don't they ?

But MAS also can try to get the 5th freedom traffic rights at ICN, KIX and PVG if possible. SQ once tried to get the 5th freedom traffic rights for LAX but failed.

By the way, anybody remembers that there was daily flight between KUL (SZB) and YYZ operated by Malaysia Airlines and Canadian Airlines (joint-operation) ? Canadian Airlines used the D10 for this sector, it was 4x a week Canadian Airlines and 3x a week Malaysia Airlines, if i'm not mistaken.

For ORD, i think MAS can try to get the 5th freedom traffic rights at MUC or AMS.

AMS would be great and would fill the void left by KU when they stopped the KWI-AMS-ORD some time ago; they would generate a lot of traffic (lot's of Dutch ancestory in the mid-west like MI, IN, IL and WI), depending on the fares...

SQ once tried to get the 5th freedom traffic rights at PVG for LAX but failed.

11238[/snapback]

no..it was a 3-4 weekly flight from kul to yvr via tpe. mh operated b744 aircraft on that route...codesharing with canadian airlines

Sign in to follow this