MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Jamie H

Royal Jordanian to join Oneworld Alliance

Source: http://www.oneworld.com/pressroom/releases...m?ObjectID=6017

Royal Jordanian to join oneworld airline alliance

October 17, 2005

Royal Jordanian is to join oneworldTM , the leading quality global airline alliance.

It is the first carrier from the Levant, Middle East and Gulf region to be elected on board any of the global airline groupings - and the first airline accepted to join oneworld for more than five years.

It accepted its invitation to join at a ceremony today conducted in the presence of His Majesty King Abdullah II bin Al Hussein at the Royal Palace in Amman, the airline's home base.

Representing oneworld and its existing members were:

Fernando Conte, Chairman and Chief Executive of Iberia and current Chairman of the oneworld Governing Board.

Martin Broughton, Chairman of British Airways, which is acting as the sponsor for Royal Jordanian's entry into the alliance.

John McCulloch, oneworld's Managing Partner.

Representing Royal Jordanian were its Chairman Dr Ummaya Toukan and President and Chief Executive Samer Majali.

Royal Jordanian has already satisfied oneworld's key pre-joining audits, assuring the grouping that it can deliver the alliance's services, benefits and processes and also match its demanding quality and safety standards.

Work will now begin on connecting its IT systems to those of its new partners, bringing key internal processes into line with oneworld requirements, training its employees to deliver oneworld products, customer benefits and support, and completing the other tasks needed before it can become a fully-fledged member of the alliance.

It should start offering oneworld services and benefits, as a fully-fledged member of the alliance, at around the turn of 2006/2007.

Fernando Conte, Chairman and Chief Executive of Iberia and Chairman of the oneworld Governing Board, said: "oneworld's focus during the past few years has been on helping our member airlines weather the financial turbulence that has rocked this industry, by building revenues and cutting costs. The results of this strategy are reflected in oneworld being the only alliance whose members are collectively profitable. Now our member airlines are at the stage where they feel it is sensible for the alliance to recruit in regions where we would like to broaden our network. We are delighted that Royal Jordanian will fill that role for oneworld in the growing Middle Eastern market."

Martin Broughton, Chairman of sponsor British Airways, said: "Royal Jordanian is an excellent fit for oneworld. It meets the high quality customer standards that oneworld demands of all its members, with a network that complements what we currently offer. It is profitable, with a management in tune with our approach to business. We at British Airways look forward to working with our new colleagues to bring Royal Jordanian on board the world's leading quality alliance."

Royal Jordanian's Chief Executive Samer Majali said: "Accepting oneworld's invitation to join is an exciting step for Royal Jordanian. The Middle East is the fastest growing aviation market, and we are the first airline from this region to find a home in a global alliance. There is no doubt that our future strategy and recent performance make us an attractive partner for other high quality airlines. This development is in tune with our ambition to privatise and to strengthen Amman's role as a regional hub. We are delighted to strengthen oneworld's excellent worldwide network with better coverage of our region.

"Our passengers are increasingly asking more from us and oneworld will extend our reach enormously. Royal Jordanian's passengers will enjoy privileged access to a group of airlines that we trust and are certain to take excellent care of them."

oneworld affiliate BMED, which operates as a franchisee of British Airways, is the only oneworld member currently serving Royal Jordanian's home market, with daily flights between Amman and the alliance's main European hub London Heathrow. Its Chief Executive David Richardson was also in Amman for today's activities.

At present, Iberia is the only oneworld partner with a bilateral agreement with Royal Jordanian, code-sharing on the latter's flights between their Amman and Madrid home bases. Bilateral agreements between Royal Jordanian and the alliance's other existing members are expected to be developed in hand with its recruitment to the grouping.

Royal Jordanian has an extensive network throughout the Levant, Middle East and Gulf region. Further afield, it currently operates to established oneworld hubs London Heathrow, Madrid, Barcelona, New York JFK, Chicago O'Hare and Bangkok.

It will add two countries to the oneworld map (Iraq and Yemen) and 10 destinations - Al Arish (Egypt), Al Ain (UAE), Aden and Sanaa (Yemen), Dammam and Jeddah (Saudi Arabia), Aqaba (Jordan), and Baghdad, Basra and Irbil (Iraq). This will extend the alliance's network to 135 territories and 609 destinations.

Yikes.......first Malev, now this???!! How much more desperate can they be?

Nonetheless, these are my 2 Christmas Wish-Lists for MH:

1)To join the Oneworld alliance instead of Skyteam

2)To opt for the A320 instead of the 738

why do u want them to opt for the 320 over the 738?

10742[/snapback]

Sanjay, because Jamie think it's more comfortable and faster turnaround time. I also like the 32S, but i really really really really hope MH will go for 738 with winglets tongue.gif because with the 738 with winglets can save MAS lots of fuel (more economical), especially if MAS use it to China and India, which apparently they will.

Sanjay, because Jamie think it's more comfortable and faster turnaround time. I also like the 32S, but i really really really really hope MH will go for 738 with winglets  tongue.gif  because with the 738 with winglets can save MAS lots of fuel (more economical), especially if MAS use it to China and India, which apparently they will.

10760[/snapback]

I actually prefer the A320s on the longer regional routes like trans-tasman. You really feel the difference as the A320 has a more spacious cabin. I know nuts about the technicalities of various a/c, but from an inflight comfort perspective the A320 is definitely the way to go on the longer routes. Otherwise the 738 is perfectly fine for short domestic routes.

RJ in ow is indeed random. Not one of the big name airlines I was expecting. Given the protectionist culture of ow I'm not surprised that ow chose RJ over other ME airlines as they perceive RJ to be complementing the current ow airlines instead of competing against them (eg EK). Inflight service wise they're pretty reasonable. Hmm... they're the only airline serving Baghdad, I wonder if that means Baghdad will be the new Colombo in getting cheap RTW fares or mileage runs for ow FFers. tongue.gif

Edited by Keith T

Thanx for answering the question for me Isaac

My preference is based upon countless experiences I have had on A320s over here in Europe........AF, AZ, OS, LX etc.......The height and width of the cabin is significantly greater than the 737NGs, hence the more spacious feeling......Hell, I even find Easyjet's 320s more comfy than MHs 734s, imagine that!!!

Keith, with regards to the protectionist culture, agreed agreed agreed!!

1)To join the Oneworld alliance instead of Skyteam

2)To opt for the A320 instead of the 738

10712[/snapback]

and..........do NOT forget another plus for the A320: containerized cargo/baggage for quicker loading/unloading cool.gif

Why do you prefer MH to join OW over ST ??? their biggest market is Europe Australia, I guess, and QF will NEVER allow them to compete on the same routes (ST is still quite weak in SE Asia and "downunder", AU and NZ)

and..........do NOT forget another plus for the A320: containerized cargo/baggage for quicker loading/unloading  cool.gif

Why do you prefer MH to join OW over ST ??? their biggest market is Europe Australia, I guess, and QF will NEVER allow them to compete on the same routes (ST is still quite weak in SE Asia and "downunder", AU and NZ)

10776[/snapback]

Because MH is a great airline and ow is an awesome alliance. biggrin.gif

True, QF may never allow MH into the fold, most unfortunately. sad.gif

Because MH is a great airline and ow is an awesome alliance. biggrin.gif

True, QF may never allow MH into the fold, most unfortunately. sad.gif

10780[/snapback]

hehe.....everyones answering for me today!!!!

I guess its a matter of quality, Pieter.......The backbone of the ONeworld alliance is made up of some of the worlds best all-round airlines eg BA, QF, CX and in her days of glory AA

But I guess at the rate of how things are going rite now, MH will never join an alliance.....QF will never allow MH in OW, and correct me if Im wrong, apparently AF (being the snobbish frogs they are) are giving MH the cold shoulder on entering ST

So Santa....if ure out there, here me out OK??!! A320s and Oneworld for MAS biggrin.gif

yeah...unfortunately MH does not have many friends...

pieter...what is the story with MH and ST?? and is it true about the french causing trouble or is it just rumours...

why are AF and QF giving us so much grief? i really don't understand...

tell the french to p++s off and take their bloody submarines back... we don't want 'em..

QF can forget about malaysia and let MH monopolize the M'sia-Ozzie route...but don't cause grief to us if we want more flights...

what a pain in the arse they both are....

With the big reshuffling on MAS operations right now, including changing their CEO, I'm thinking the plan to join any alliance is back to the drawing board. Or maybe one of the least importance item for them right now.

sad.gif

yeah...unfortunately MH does not have many friends...

pieter...what is the story with MH and ST?? and is it true about the french causing trouble or is it just rumours...

why are AF and QF giving us so much grief? i really don't understand...

tell the french to p++s off and take their bloody submarines back... we don't want 'em..

QF can forget about malaysia and let MH monopolize the M'sia-Ozzie route...but don't cause grief to us if we want more flights...

what a pain in the arse they both are....

10818[/snapback]

I think it's fairly safe to assume that BA and QF see MH as a threat on the Kangaroo route; the issue here isnt one of QF trying to operate to KUL.

Edited by Keith T

With the big reshuffling on MAS operations right now, including changing their CEO, I'm thinking the plan to join any alliance is back to the drawing board. Or maybe one of the least importance item for them right now.

sad.gif

10820[/snapback]

CEO coming from Shell, right ? A Dutch-British firm, so maybe KLM, being a Dutch firm as well, can "sponsor" MAS into Skyteam sooner or later wink.gif

Latest rumour I heard is, that KLM will sponsor MAS next year for a Skyteam-Alliance membership like Kenya airways...

CEO coming from Shell, right ? A Dutch-British firm, so maybe KLM, being a Dutch firm as well, can "sponsor" MAS into Skyteam sooner or later  wink.gif

Latest rumour I heard is, that KLM will sponsor MAS next year for a Skyteam-Alliance membership like Kenya airways...

10848[/snapback]

Pieter, Is that a FULL or ASSOCIATE membership? Because we all KNOW that MH is NOT an ASSOCIATE pedigree!!! mad.gif

I guess at the end of the day, we have to think again what an alliance is : a group of individual airlines that have a form of cooperation to pool resources etc., but they still remain INDIVIDUAL airlines still looking after their own arses. Which is why QF will never allow MH in OW........AF meanwhile intends to ferry European pax to Australia via its CDG hub, but if MH(with its quite substantial European coverage) comes along, they'll just as they say it in Malay : 'potong-steam' (plan-spoiler)..........as EUropean pax no longer need to go through CDG to get to Australia

Sign in to follow this