MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Azuddin

Space Shuttle Preparation

Chapter 6

How to take it to the lauchpad

After completing the stack, the shuttle is ready to be transported to the launchpad. How it is transported?

Let me introduce you all to The Crawler Transporter. Believe it or not this is the world biggest ground transporter vehicle.

What shown below is the primary part of the crawler, without the launch deck attachment above it. Same type of crawler were used for carrying the massive Saturn 5 rocket during the Apollo program, the only difference is the launch deck attachment.

06pd9148.jpg

06pd1950.jpg

06pd1949.jpg

Inside the VAB, the shuttle, the tank and SRB is being stacked onto the launch deck which later will be placed atop of this crawler transporter.

s32.jpg

stacked up and ready to go. It's a long way. The crawler moves very slow, it took between 6 to 8 hours from the VAB to the launchpad.

Up next, I will show how the payload is loaded into the cargo bay.

to be continue.....

Edited by Azuddin

It would be good if we can bring this to attention of our menteri's in cabinet to illustrate what a "space programme" really entails. Well, at least a part of the programme anyway. Not just signing up for a few sukhois in exchange for palm oil and hitching a ride just for the sheer thrill of it !

I appreciate all the response, comment and question from you guys.

Chapter 7

The Payload

This is the part where many people never knew about it earlier. Did you know the shuttle payload is actually loaded into the cargo bay at the launchpad and not at VAB? This is the process that is hardly being seen by public.

here's how they do it.

Payload preparation, this process actually started even before the shuttle being stacked up.

s23.jpg

s24.jpg

s25.jpg

Here are some parts and supply which will be for ISS.

s26.jpg

all being loaded into the canister and the inner cargo door is closing

s27.jpg

it is taken to the launchpad in a vertical position

s28.jpg

s29.jpg

s30.jpg

ready to be loaded to the launchpad, this section is called the Payload Changeout Room (PCR)

s31.jpg

Space shuttle stack will be docked onto the PCR for payload loading process.

when the space shuttle arrives at the launchpad, the payload canister will be inserted into the shuttle like this

06pd2037.jpg

s22.jpg

I don't have a proper picture while it was loaded into the cargo bay.

To be continue next post.......Launch preparation.

let the countdown begin

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

Payload preparation, this process actually started even before the shuttle being stacked up.

s23.jpg

Which launch is this pic from Azuddin? I thought SpaceHab was destroyed in Columbia?

Wooow~!!! Nice stuff Azuddin thank for sharing with us...

Hurm look like i can have some input from you for my design project...

Which launch is this pic from Azuddin? I thought SpaceHab was destroyed in Columbia?

I think every flight undergo the same procedure........except different mission carry different cargo.

I hope the new spacecraft will go into service very soon, no more vertical take off, save the gas haha

Edited by Seth K

Those are random payload

The actual payload on this flight is the ISS module (silver color)

Azuddin

I think every flight undergo the same procedure........except different mission carry different cargo.

I hope the new spacecraft will go into service very soon, no more vertical take off, save the gas haha

The Russians make the rockets horizontally, and only at the launchpad, they put them upright.

+++

It would be good if we can bring this to attention of our menteri's in cabinet to illustrate what a "space programme" really entails. Well, at least a part of the programme anyway. Not just signing up for a few sukhois in exchange for palm oil and hitching a ride just for the sheer thrill of it !

Anything is possible in boleh land, they will get the funding by making every citizen to work harder than a cow. Making such statement could be considered by some, unpatriotic. :lol:

Yeah, I noticed the current discovery harmony module payload is in the pictures. I was referring to that specific picture with the SpaceHab lab module in it. Maybe that picture alone came from pre-columbia?

Yeah, I noticed the current discovery harmony module payload is in the pictures. I was referring to that specific picture with the SpaceHab lab module in it. Maybe that picture alone came from pre-columbia?

Actually that is the second Spacehab which were taken in Endeavor STS-118.

thanks for sharing! Sad to say another 288million wasted on the JB-Sin bridge. Could have given 3 more Malaysian free ride to space.haha...

Chapter 8

VAB --> 39B

Before we go straight to Launch countdown, this is another important part in a shuttle preparation. Here we will see the trip of the space shuttle stack from the Vehicle Assembly Building to Launchpad 39B

sts-115-atlantis-rollback.jpg

This is the route map. This one is from Atlantis STS-115, but for this chapter, the Shuttle Discovery in the topic using the same launchpad. We can see that the distance from the VAB to LP39B is actually not that far and even the tour bus that I ride took 10 to 15 minutes from the VAB to 39B, but everything has to be done slowly. So it take between 6 to 8 hours for the shuttle stack to reach the launchpad.

06pd17312.jpg

emerging like a ghost in the fog.

06pd1705.jpg

06pd1710.jpg

06pd1713.jpg

Finally arrived.

it will remain for few days on the launchpad until all the preparation and inspection is completed

04.jpg

Azuddin

Chapter 9

LCC & MCC

As the shuttle and crew being prepared, lets go and take a look at some of the most important group on the ground.

Launch Control Center (LCC) Cape Canaveral, Florida

The LCC is located in Kennedy Space Center, Canaveral. This control center play a minor roll in a mission, but yet still important during launch procedure. The LCC will monitor all the launch progress until the spacecraft reach the orbit.

2637538.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=B43C1

the LCC during Apollo era.

lcc.jpg

the LCC now, not much changes.

Mission Control Center (MCC) Houston, Texas

The MCC is located in Johnson Space Center, Houston. This is the control center that play the most important role from the beginning of the mission all the way until a shuttle land.

The people at MCC (the positions)

Flight Director (FLIGHT)

Leads the flight control team. "Flight" has overall operational responsibility for missions and payload operations and for all decisions regarding safe, expedient flight. This person monitors the other flight controllers, remaining in constant verbal communication with them via intercom channels called "loops".

fact: the most well known NASA flight director is Eugene F. "Gene" Kranz. He involves in Mercury project, Gemini project, Apollo Project and until Space Shuttle project and shuttle mission STS-61 was his last before he retired in 1994. He is also well known for his roll in saving Apollo 13.

Mission Operations Directorate (MOD)

Is a representative of the senior management chain at JSC, and is there to help the flight director make those decisions that have no safety-of-flight consequences, but may have cost or public perception consequences. In no cases can the MOD rep overrule the Flight Director during a mission.

Capsule Communicator (CAPCOM)

Generally the only person who communicates directly with a manned space crew. During much of the U.S. manned space program, NASA felt it was important for all communication with the astronauts in space to pass through a single individual in the Mission Control Center. That role was designated the Capsule Communicator or CAPCOM and was filled by another astronaut, often one of the backup crew members. It is believed that an astronaut is most able to understand the situation in the spacecraft and pass information in the clearest and most efficient way.

For long duration missions, there are more than one CAPCOM, each assigned to a different shift team. After control of U.S. spaceflights moved to the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center in the early 1960s, each CAPCOM uses the radio call sign Houston. When non-astronauts are communicating directly with the spacecraft, CAPCOM acts as the communications controller.

Flight Surgeon (SURGEON)

Directs all operational medical activities concerned with the mission, including the status of the flight crew. Monitors crew health, provides crew consultation, and advises flight director of the crew's health status. A direct communications loop can be established between the mission astronauts and the flight surgeon, in accordance with doctor-patient confidentiality.

Public Affairs Officer (PAO)

Provides mission commentary to supplement and explain air-to-ground transmissions and flight control operations to the news media and the public.

Booster Systems Engineer (BOOSTER)

Monitors and evaluated performance of propulsion-related aspects of the launch vehicle during prelaunch and ascent, including the main engines and solid rocket boosters.

there's several other position that I'm not listing down.

LBJ-MCC-STS030(S)116.jpg

The old MCC ever since the Apollo era

64568main_ffs_gallery_mcc_image2.jpg

The new MCC which now conduct all shuttle and also monitor part of ISS activity.

Azuddin

Why are the guys handling the robotic arm and payload all in surgical masks and gowns? Is it a sterile environment?

Yes it is, it is sterile environment.

Actually, they don't really know about the effect it may cause ever since the beginning of space exploration until now. They claim that sometimes, some condensation from breathing could form water when the satellite or other space equipment reach space. Water and electrical equipment can't go together.

Just for being safe then sorry, all space project, equipment, food even the astronaut themselves is specially sterilized before flight.

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

Chapter 10

We are go for launch.

Sorry for the delay on getting back to this topic, I'm sure that some of you is waiting. Here we go.

Some interesting fact: Did you know it has been a tradition for over 20 years that before each shuttle launch and before the commander can lead his men to the shuttle the Commander of the shuttle crew will personally visit the boss of Flight Crew Operation for a card game of black jack. The commander are not allowed to take his crew to the shuttle until he win the game against the FCO boss.

050413-Discovery-10.jpg

sts-121_shuttle_pad.jpg

dawn break as this shuttle is ready for launch

During the final hour, the crew are strapping inside the shuttle.

Final countdown 10 second

ig76.11_sts104launch.jpg

Engine Ignite at T-minus 5

shuttle-launch-med.jpg

4-3-2-1, we have ignition and Lift Off!

shuttle.jpg

ov-103_2.jpg

Some Addition, would like to share some amazing footage of various Shuttle launch I found over the internet.

10shuttle_boats.jpg

dn10767-1_450.jpg

269265_dd954162e9.jpg?v=1134351314

night_space_shuttle_launch.jpg

night_launch.jpg

420px-Space_Shuttle_launch_plume_shadow_

To be Continue next topic with more on launch, roll, SRB jettison, engine cut off.

Azuddin