MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Hans

TUDM SU-30 ETA?

Looking at the cockpit thank-god it is not painted in the typical Russian puke-green color. Notice the Thales HUDWAC, Rafale style. The MKI is equiped with food storage and waste disposal system, I wonder if the MKM is the same.

Wow, nice discussion about the Su30MKM, with at least 2 new guys on board MW. Welcome. I was away for nearly 2 weeks for work.

I drove past RMAF Gong Kedak airbase in Kelantan a week ago, many new apartment housing blocks can be seen in their final phase of construction. Can't wait to do real spotting of the Sukhois aroung the rural countryside of Pasir Puteh.

I understand the Su30MKM will be shipped above and Antonov from Russia, just like the way they delivered the MiGs back then. Unlike the Hornets which did a halfway round the world journey ferry flight.

Anyway, I pity the RMAF crews based in Gong Kedak, no urban styles of lifestyles. Even McDonalds is 70km away in Kota Bharu. However, great 'ikan bakar' is just a stone throw away!

On another topic, I think the next thing the RMAF really needs is the AEW&C platform and new CSAR helicopters, where rumours have it that tha RMAF have chosen the NH90 (good!).

Can't wait to do real spotting of the Sukhois aroung the rural countryside of Pasir Puteh.

Anyway, I pity the RMAF crews based in Gong Kedak, no urban styles of lifestyles. Even McDonalds is 70km away in Kota Bharu. However, great 'ikan bakar' is just a stone throw away!

Must joint you....my grandma's house is just around the corner....and i know the best spot to get you in the perimeter... :)

Edited by Mohd Idham

Conventional logic says that is correct - but if you look at RMAF's attrition rate even during peacetime operations, may be a bit misleading ....... ! :)

whats causing those high attrition rates actually?is the mistake on our side or the russians?

can wait for images of the new birds from u guys!

in the cockpit pictures..i cant seem to identify a thing since everything is analogue in lock-on.. :p

@andrew

about the cobra maneuver..how far can the f16 go before the su starts pointing its nose towards it..it doesnt stay upright that long ryte?the f16 will still be in its attack range..and surely the sus wud have their own batch of wingmans..it might all go down to tactics and strategy..

about dogfights..in the future yes..it will be all BVR attack..but for now i think its inevitable..imagine a head to head duel between su30s and the f 22...how many su 30s can the f22s shoot down before the su radars start picking up the raptors?but again..only time can tell..

btw im still considered a noob when it comes to fighter jets knowledge..feel free to correct me if im talking nonsense.. :sorry:

Whats causing those high attrition rates actually?is the mistake on our side or the russians?

If anyone can correctly identify the actual "cause" - I'm sure our Kementerian Pertahanan (Defence Ministry) will be most interested, perhaps even the press community ? ;)

BTW, I reckon the RMAF has been quite equitable as far as its aircraft attrition is concerned. Look, they've lost Hawks (Brits), S-61's & F5's (Yanks), PC-7's (Swiss), MB339's (Italian), Mig 29's (Ruskies) ........ :(

losing the 'scrap metal' hawks are acceptable, but the migs..when was the last accident involving a mig?i remember a few years back that one of it crashed in a palm oil estate if im not mistaken..cant remember which year was dat..

sum new mkm pics from aviapedia...

Su-30MKM.jpgSu-30MKM-1.jpg

Su-30MKM-2.jpgSu-30MKM-3.jpg

Su-30MKM-5.jpgSu-30MKM-4.jpg

Su-30MKM-6.jpgSu-30MKM-7.jpg

Su-30MKM-8.jpg

Edited by iwan

They have arrived.

http://www.itar-tass.com/eng/level2.html?N...2&PageNum=0

Russia supplies first two Su-30 MKM jets to Malaysia

19.06.2007, 21.31

KUALA LUMPUR, June 19 (Itar-Tass) -- Two Su-30 MKM fighter jets out of 18 purchased by Malaysia were supplied on Tuesday.

An An-124-100 Antei jumbo cargo jet of the Volga-Dnepr Airline landed at an airbase 460 kilometers north of the Malaysian capital city at 6:50 p.m. local time (2:50 p.m. Moscow time), Rosoboronexport representative Viktor Kladov told Itar-Tass by phone.

“It is symbolic that the deliveries of Russian aircraft to Malaysia started on the day when the two chiefs of state are discussing military-technical cooperation at the Kremlin,” he said.

The planes were made at the Irkutsk aviation plant of the Irkut Corporation and supplied on time. They will be transferred to the Malaysian Air Force after being unloaded, assembled and inspected. The next shipment will be made later this year, while the rest will be delivered to Malaysia in early 2008.

Rosoboronexport has supplied technical and auxiliary equipment to Malaysia and trained the airbase personnel. “A whole Russian compound has been built here. It accommodates Russian pilots, technicians and their families. About 300 Russian plants and design bureaus fulfilled the Malaysian contract,” Kladov said.

In the opinion of the Malaysian Air Force commander, the Su-30 MKM will enlarge the Malaysian air might.

The Su-30 MKM (an abbreviation which stands for multifunctional, commercial, Malaysian) is an advanced modification of the widely known multifunctional fighter jet Su-30 MKI. However, the Malaysian version of the fighter jet significantly differs from the prototype. For instance, instruments made in Israel were replaced with French analogs by the Malaysian demand.

MiG-29N Fulcrum & Su-30MKM Flanker...What an perfect combination for our Airforce! :clapping:

There is a picture in today's paper (NST I think) with the planes delivered to Gong Kedak Airbase on the Antonov.

how much and who do we pay to fly one of those beautiful things?hehe..jk!its a brand new plane and the pilots BETTER take care of it..ill seriously cry if anything bad happens to those planes..(touch wood :p)

cant wait to see them at LIMA!!

ive got summore new pics of the birds at the kubinka airbase..line is too slow now..will upload it later..

still waiting for the 1st pictures of our new birds :yahoo:

p/s moral of story : don't mess up with TUDM :p

A lesser known/reported news about RMAF, is that some of their F-5 are active flying again, from Butterworth. I'm not sure whether they are the upgraded F-5E or the RF-5F. Sadly they like to to do low level flying around Butterworth at night!