MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Pieter C.

Air France-KLM (+cityhopper)

Thanks for the info Pieter!

Yes I know that I will be on a prop if I choose to fly out of LCY.... and this is one of the main reasons I want to use LCY! I felt 'privileged' being able to fly a turbo prop, especially in London where most flights are operated by jet! Funny thinking, I know... :)

Is KLM thinking of phasing out their F50 soon? Have they ordered any A318, or I just got it confused with AF...

H C,

Did you know KLM is the ONLY Fokker 50 operator into busy LHR ??? :yahoo:

They still use that type on the LHR-RTM v.v. flights ;)

AFAIK the F50 will be in the KLM cityhopper fleets, at least till 2009...but, you never know with the majority of the board now being French :o

No Airbus-320 family aircraft planned for KLM or KLM cityhopper for that matter...no guarantees here either (you saw what happened with the recently 'order' of 777-300's)...

Did you know KLM is the ONLY Fokker 50 operator into busy LHR ??? :yahoo:

They still use that type on the LHR-RTM v.v. flights ;)

Oh my goodness, this is unbelievable. Poor little fokker must be feeling so out of place when surrounded by those big jumbos and triples... :lol:

Is there any reason that KLM pulled out of Stansted few years ago? Was it because they have given the slots to Buzz?

Is there any reason that KLM pulled out of Stansted few years ago? Was it because they have given the slots to Buzz?

Stansted airport is not slotted, however, KLM decided to transfer all regular KLMuk flights to Buzz and start a LCC operation there...everyone knows what happened: Buzz was never succesfull, being managed by a 'regular' airline like KLM, and, eventually, Ryanair jumped-in and accepted the offer of KLM to take-over the operation of Buzz :o

LCC Transavia.com is another fully owned airline by KLM, however, they have their own management (LCC minds, so to speak) and are profitable :good:

Tamizi,

All jets are operated by the Dutch side of the company, and half the F50's are operated by the UK side; these 'british' F50's can be identified by the PH-.X. registrations, while the 'dutch' ones have the PH-KV. identifications ;) (K=KLM V=vijftig or fifty :rofl: )

So, when you fly down on PH-KVG it's a 'dutch' one, and while returning on PH-LXR it will be a 'british' one; crew-wise it's always mixed, so could be nationalities :rolleyes:

I see then.Thanks a lot for that info,Uncle Pieter!

BTW,If i'm not mistaken,KLM is the holder of the world oldest route,the AMS-CGK.Is that right?

More interesting KLM news:

June 16, 2006

Dutch airline KLM contributed more than its French peer Air France to the 2005/06 operating profit of the merged Air France KLM group, La Tribune daily reported on Friday.

Citing a letter sent to Air France pilots by Bernard Pedamon, their board representative, La Tribune said that KLM contributed EUR504 million (USD$637.4 million) and Air France EUR432 million (USD$546.4 million) out of the EUR936 million in operating profit Air France KLM generated in fiscal year 2005/06.

The letter also showed that KLM achieved an operating margin of 7.9 percent against 4.1 percent for Air France.

"KLM's performance is explained notably by its advance in using new technologies... and its savings plan launched a year before it was bought by Air France," La Tribune said.

Air France however accounted for 75 percent of the EUR913 million (USD$1.15 billion) in net profit achieved by the Air France KLM group in 2005/06 thanks to the sale of a stake in booking systems Amadeus.

(Reuters)

Are they arguing with each other now?

No way, but the smaller part is earning more money than the bigger part...that's all it says...guess the Dutch thriftiness helps :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Wow, KLM done a great job dispite their lack of good product(IFE, seat) compare to AF still make more money than AF. Pieter, what's the secret?

Edited by Seth K

Wow, KLM done a great job dispite their lack of good product(IFE, seat) compare to AF still make more money than AF. Pieter, what's the secret?

KL has a lower cost and higher productivity per employe as compared to AF...and, like I said: has thriftiness (worse IFE, seat) something to do with it ?

Just joking...however, I guess good fare/marketing and the image of 'reliability' has, certainly, something to do with it, especially in Asia and Africa... :sorry:

Air France KLM said on Friday it carried 7.1 percent more passengers in June than a year ago thanks to strong levels of activity, particularly on Asian routes.

In a statement, the airline said its load factor rose 0.9 percentage points to 82.4 percent, as its American routes reached "the very high level" of 90.3 percent, up 2 points.

"In line with previous months, the strength of traffic, particularly in the premium segment, as well as a rise in yield in the economy segment, enabled the group to post a significant increase in the unit revenue per available seat kilometre," it said.

Cargo traffic increased 4.6 percent in June on 3.7 percent higher capacity, while the cargo load factor rose 0.6 points to 65.3 percent.

Asian routes had a 1.8 point better load factor at 86.3 percent, and traffic rose 13.5 percent, while traffic in the Americas was up 6.2 percent and in Europe 6.8 percent.

(Reuters)

:blink: :pardon: :clapping: :drinks: :yahoo:

KLM AND DELTA AIR LINES BEGIN CODESHARING

ON FLIGHTS IN EUROPE AND THE USA

AMSTELVEEN, July 19, 2006 - SkyTeam carriers KLM Royal Dutch Airlines and Delta Air Lines announced today that they will start codesharing to destinations from their Amsterdam, Atlanta and New York JFK hubs, following approval by the U.S. Department of Transportation earlier this year. The two carriers will provide customers with service to destinations in the United States and Europe through these hubs.

Initially, KLM plans to codeshare on Delta flights to 14 U.S. destinations from Atlanta (Birmingham, Nashville, Charlotte, Charleston, Daytona Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Greenville, Kahului (Hawaii), Kansas City, Miami, Orlando, Raleigh, San Antonio and Tampa), as well as between New York’s JFK and Atlanta. KLM intends to grow the number of codeshare services across Delta’s network.

Delta plans to codeshare on KLM flights to 10 European destinations via Amsterdam (Stockholm, Warsaw, Hamburg, Oslo, Bucharest, Gothenburg, Hanover, Nuremberg, Birmingham and Helsinki). Delta intends to grow its codeshare services across KLM’s network, pending foreign government approvals. Arend de Jong, KLM’s senior vice president Network said: "Our ability to add codes on Delta flights complements our existing codeshare services with our other US SkyTeam partners Northwest and Continental. This gives our customers even greater flexibility and options as Delta serves many unique destinations and offers strong connection opportunities".

Since September 2004 members of the Air France – KLM Flying Blue program can earn mileage credit on all Delta coded flights. In addition, Flying Blue members may redeem their earned miles for travel on all Delta operated flights. Members of Delta’s SkyMiles program can also earn mileage credit when traveling on all KLM coded flights. Conversely, SkyMiles members may redeem their earned miles for travel on all KLM operated flights. This development further strengthens the frequent flyer relationship between the two SkyTeam partners.

Is this the 'beginning of the end' of the NW/KL cooperation ???

Here a nice link of the KLM-, KLM cityhopper- and Transavia fleet lists:

https://www.klm.com/corporate/pci/portal_nl...9_tcm6-5419.pdf

Special note: PH-BFH 'City of Hong Kong' was, indeed, a Combi before, but has, recently, been modified to a full-pax version, so the number of seats are correct !

Unless Pieter's salary increase, everthing OK!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

No salary increase, Andrew, in fact with the inflation overhere the spending power even decreases :angry:

:o :o :o Baaahhhhhhh!!! :o :o :o

July 21, 2006

Air France-KLM was formally put under investigation on Thursday by authorities for suspected misappropriation of funds at security firm Pretory which worked with the French-Dutch airline.

Air France-KLM on Friday confirmed press reports about the probe, which came two days after its Chief Executive, Jean-Cyril Spinetta, was questioned in the case.

Spinetta was not placed under formal investigation, an Air France-KLM spokeswoman said.

Spinetta's lawyer, Jean-Pierre Versini-Campinchi, has said that his client has denied any role in the affair.

The founder of Pretory has been placed under official investigation for possible illegal employment, aggravated money-laundering and fraud.

Pretory had a contract with Air France to provide private security agents for the airline's flights after September 11, 2001.

The case was opened in 2003 after fiscal authorities and the Finance Ministry's anti-fraud section voiced suspicion over Pretory's activities. The company declared bankruptcy that same year.

(Reuters)

Air France-KLM posts higher July traffic.

August 7, 2006

Air France KLM said on Monday its July passenger traffic rose 4.9 percent with the passenger load factor at 85.2 percent, a decline of 0.1 points.

The company enjoyed a further significant increase in yield in July because of a rise in average revenue per passenger in all segments. The cargo load factor improved by 0.5 points to 62.6 percent.

It said that for the Americas, passenger traffic grew by 2.3 percent on 3.3 percent higher capacity while the load factor remained at 90.4 percent.

Activity on the Asian routes remained buoyant with traffic rising 8.7 percent on 7.2 percent higher capacity and the load factor rising 1.2 points to 89.6 percent.

On the European network, the airline said activity was "particularly buoyant" with traffic up by 8.5 percent on 6.7 percent higher capacity.

The load factor rose 1.3 points to 77.5 percent.

(Reuters)

Air France-KLM posts higher July traffic.

Activity on the Asian routes remained buoyant with traffic rising 8.7 percent on 7.2 percent higher capacity and the load factor rising 1.2 points to 89.6 percent.

(Reuters)

seems like KLM is doing very well on Asian routes huh, i wondered what's the load factor for KUL outbound flight?

seems like KLM is doing very well on Asian routes huh, i wondered what's the load factor for KUL outbound flight?

Kevin,

Hope you mean the KUL-AMS flight and not the KUL-CGK flight ?

As this load-factor is for the whole flight (passengers and cargo), you can imagine it's almost always full...the last few times I was only accepted on crew-seats as 'normal' seats were not available anymore...so, if you wanna fly KLM to Europe: be prepared !!! ;)

My wife flew from SIN-FRA in June on KLM. She was very dissapointed with the lack of IFE, cramped uncomfortable seats, poor food and poor service. This was repeated on the flight back.

Now she understands why us Europeans like to fly the asian airlines :)

cramped uncomfortable seats, poor food and poor service.

This is quite a 'general' remark; can you'she ellaborate further ? :huh:

Straight off from BBC

KLM-Air France impose 7 euros of fuel surcharge for longhoul flights.

September 7, 2006

Air France KLM said on Thursday its August passenger traffic was up 4.8 percent with the passenger load factor up 0.2 percentage points to 84.3 percent. Capacity rose 4.5 percent.

The airline group reported a "further strong increase" in its August yields because of a rise in average revenue per passenger in all segments.

The cargo load factor rose 0.4 points to 61.3 percent as traffic grew 2.3 percent and capacity rose 1.6 percent.

(Reuters)

September 14, 2006

Air France KLM is in talks to set up a cargo venture with China Southern Airlines, as it expands its capacity in the fast-growing market.

"KLM has started to discuss a cargo joint venture with China Southern, but the talks are in the initial stage," chief executive Jean-Cyril Spinetta told reporters on Thursday.

He would not give the size of a possible deal with its code-share partner.

Rival Lufthansa's Cargo unit is already operating a cargo tie-up with regional carrier Shenzhen Airlines.

Riding a boom in trans-Atlantic air traffic, Air France KLM has seen 15 percent annual sales growth in China.

China is Air France KLM's biggest revenue contributor in cargo services, and is its number four globally in the long-haul business, after the United States, Japan and Canada.

"We've seen a 15 percent rise in annual sales here in the past years and could keep up the momentum," said Spinetta, who became head of Air France nine years ago.

The Dutch-French giant is set to operate 59 weekly flights to China from the end October and would increase the frequency by 15 percent annually till 2010, he added.

Spinetta sees the 2008 Beijing Olympics as a golden opportunity to boost its market share in China. He hoped to use the A380 jumbo jet -- which it is scheduled to receive in April 2008 -- for the occasion, even though there could be delays in its delivery.

Air France KLM had ordered 10 A380s and has options to buy four more. It has already suffered a delay in A380 production last year, which pushed back the airline's first delivery date to 2008 from April 2007.

"There could be further delays, we don't know how long, but we hope to fly it to China for the Olympics," he said.

(Reuters)

Pieter - you'd be pleased, even though I don't like ur airline, I booked 3 people onto it today. :p

Friends of mine going to London end of the year. Don't care about choice of airline or FFP or even long transit times (10 hour layover in NRT on the way back), just want rock bottom fares. They're now on a mixed carrier KLM ticket. ;)

MEL SQ xSIN KL xAMS KL LHR KL xAMS KL xNRT QF MEL

All for just AUD2085 after adding taxes. Could've gone down a bit more but they didn't like flying that much to go on a 35 hour MU flight. :p

Edited by Keith T

even though I don't like ur airline

:angry: :angry:

Thanks, Keith, for your patronage :good: