Birds ‘sabotage’ 737 in Istanbul

Hehehe ... do not underestimate the birds! bird1.gif

.ny

+++

DATE:24/04/07

SOURCE:Flightglobal.com

Pictures: Birds ‘sabotage’ TNT 737 in Istanbul

By Tolga Ozbek

Last week, birds managed to ground one of freight carrier TNT's 737s at Istanbul’s Ataturk airport. The 737’s pilots started up the auxiliary power unit (APU) before departing for Liege in Belgium, then noticed a sudden increase in temperature of the APU. The tower informed them that smoke was coming from the 737’s tail.

When technicians arrived to inspect the APU they found lancets, shears and other parts of burned metal. The pilots initially suspected that the 737 had been sabotaged and asked the airport authority to investigate.

getassetlq7.jpggetassetdl1.jpg

TNT left staff on the apron to check subsequent flights. The next day a 737 freighter landed at Ataturk Airport and parked in the same area near the cargo terminal. During the day, staff saw birds, mainly crows, carrying metal objects in their beaks. The birds flew round the back of the APU and tried to put the objects in its exhaust. This continued all day.

getassetzz0.jpggetassetro3.jpg

The airport authority started an investigation about the metal objects. Last year, the special cargo bonded warehouse was destroyed in a fire. There is still some damaged cargo in the area, including pieces of metal, which zoologists believe could attract birds, particularly crows.

The Ataturk airport authority said it doesn’t normally use the parking area where the TNT 737 was kept. But TNT’s freighter was sent there on this particular day because of a parking problem.

Since the incident, TNT has been covering the APU when the plane is parked.

+++

Hehehe ... do not underestimate the birds!

Especially crows: they're really a nuisance =@

how could I missed Tolga's news? it's really interesting :) but how didn't someones see the crow when fly into to APU exhaust in apron area? and very important question; why crow choosed TNT? :)

Moral of story - watch your back ! :)

(Yes, I was inclined to use the a... word but then I risk mod wrath right ?!) :p

....... and brainy :)

Yes, crows are smart. I'm told they can improvise and build nests out of discarded wires and cables.

+++

Yes, crows are smart. I'm told they can improvise and build nests out of discarded wires and cables.

+++

Yup. smart they are. saw in Animal Planet (or was it Nat Geo?), crows make a tool of a twig which they break to resemble a hook, to fish out grub/caterpillar out of its hole in a tree branch. how smart is that... and they also love bright objects and picking up burning cigarette butt since the amber attracts them (in TNT case, the rusting metals) and bring it back to their nests and unluckily caused a forest fire... smart but stupid pulak... heheheee...

slightly OT - but TNT, is it Australian or Dutch company?

AFAIK TNT is Australian and TNTPost is Dutch (could be wrong, though :sorry: )

Sign in to follow this