MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Lima '07 To Target Civil Aviation Participation

A preview of LIMA '07, I guess.

.ny

February 26, 2007 18:55 PM

Lima '07 To Target Civil Aviation Participation

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 26 (Bernama) -- The Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace (Lima) '07 exhibition, one of the region's prestigious aerospace and maritime defence expositions, will also be drawing participation from the civil aviation industry this year.

World Aerospace Sdn Bhd chairman Tan Sri Kamaruzzaman Shariff said that in addition to the usual display of aerospace and maritime technology, this year's show would also feature light aircraft and local companies which handle aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO).

World Aerospace Sdn Bhd is the new organiser of the event, which is held biennially on Langkawi island, with this year's being the ninth edition since it was introduced in 1991.

Kamaruzzaman said one of the challenges faced in this year's Lima was the dwindling number of exhibitors due to mergers of major players in the defence aerospace industry.

"For example, if we had five or six different exhibitors before, we would now only have one as they have all merged into one group," he told a news conference at the Asian Strategy and Leadership Institute (Asli) headquarters, here Monday.

"Therefore, there's a move to make Lima '07 more affordable for smaller companies to exhibit, especially for those who handle MRO operation and technology for aircraft."

He said this year's airshow would also feature unique side attractions such as exhibitions on gadgets as well as on Malaysian batik, as the event would cap off the Visit Malaysia Year 2007.

Meanwhile, the company's chief executive officer, Nonee Ashirin Mohamed Radzi, said the target for this year's Lima was more than 300 exhibitors.

She said about 70 per cent of the floor space at the Mahsuri International Exhibition Centre (MIEC) in Langkawi had so far been booked and sold.

The newly-renovated MIEC features a bigger space at 16,152 sq metres to accommodate new pavilions for unmanned aerial vehicles, MRO technology and space technology.

Although the event was once ranked the third best defence and aviation exhibition in the world and the sales platform for major arms and aircraft companies, the airshow is still a hit among the public. Nonee said in view of this, the company was mulling over possible collaboration with the Youth and Sports Ministry as well as the Higher Education Ministry in campaigns to expose the younger generation to the aerospace industry and inculcate their interest in it.

Meanwhile, Asli CEO Datuk Dr Michael Yeoh, who was present at the news conference, said Asli would also hold an "Aviation and Aerospace Conference" on Dec 3 and 4 during Lima '07.

He said Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, who is also the Defence Minister, would be invited to open the conference and deliver a keynote address.

The conference, with sessions that discuss the future of the aviation industry, its market outlook and challenges of the military MRO business, will see the participation of industry players and speakers from Malaysia, Singapore, USA, UK and Australia, among others.

Set to be staged on Dec 4-8 at the MIEC, this year's showcase will include more than 120 aircraft including jet fighters, helicopters and transport planes.

Besides the latest military and civilian aircraft, the newest attraction of this year's Lima will be airport and airfield equipment.

To date, the list of participants in Lima '07 includes SAAB from Sweden, Sukhoi (Russia), Thales (France) and MIG (Russia).

The crowd favourite in the airshow, the aerobatic Red Arrows from the USA, is also expected to make a grand return, according to World Aerospace.

-- BERNAMA

I hope this year's LIMA will be more exciting in terms of aircraft exhibits. LIMA 2005 had many exhibitors packing up before the public visiting day, and aircraft static displays were much to be desired. I think the air force Handau could be a bit more discreet in their security watch.

It is disappointing that almost all hotels have 'blacked-out' their bookings during LIMA. If accomodation is so difficult for ordinary visitors, LIMA should be held elsewhere. Then no more RM7 roti canai for those blood suckers.

Edited by Rozhan

"...The crowd favourite in the airshow, the aerobatic Red Arrows from the USA, is also expected to make a grand return, according to World Aerospace..."

-- BERNAMA

Since when the Red Arrows are from the USA? Those reporters... :angry:

I just had a look at the official website of lima2007 (www.lima2007.com). Some of the aircraft listed for the static display are as follows - SU-30MKM, Mig-29 VT, Lockheed F-35!, F-22 Raptor!, Eurofighter Typhoon, etc. Some of the aerobatic display teams listed for the airshow - Red Arrows, Thunderbirds, Blue Angels, Russian Knights, RMAF, F-18, Mig-29, Su-30. Is this for real? Because if it is, I'm staying in Langkawi for the whole duration of the exhibition. I'll be broke by the end of the week though, Langkawi is such an expensive place to be in during LIMA. :angry:

Book a flight in during the morning, and fly out after the show. That is the only practical way to see LIMA; staying overnight is not an option with all those bloodsuckers around.

Just hope for extra flights from MH and AK.

I doubt the latest major western fighters such as F22, Typhoon and Rafale will make an appearance here, either static or flying display. The most sophisticated the USA will send might be the FA-18 E/F since there are still glimmer of hope Malaysia will order some. LIMA, or Malaysia, is a big market for the Russian. Expect the shiny new RMAF Su30MKM to make an appearance by then. I'm hoping to see more medium to heavy utility helicopters such as EH101, NH90 and Mi17 make appearance because the Nuri really need replacement.

Blue Angels ? Thunderbirds ? Red Arrows ?

You guys smell that ?

Smells like bullshit :)

Yeah... smells the same too... over-PR exercise

although I hope i'm wrong

russian knights as well..if thats the case..im off to langkawi tomorrow morning..4 world class acrobatic teams..who can resist?? :lol:

missed LIMA 05 but sounds like a disappointment from comment i read in this thread..lucky my dad got an apartment unit there..so much cheaper compared to the hotel rates during LIMA..

will the new mig29-OVT/mig 35 make an appearance at LIMA this year?

have checked most aerobatic teams' official websites, but none of them will be there... :angry:

Anyway, the TUDM Su-30 will be my highlight. Already booked my hotel and flight. And it's only May, is Langkawi seriously the best location for suh an event? Wont Subang be much more convenient? Anyway, i am booked, so just gonna wait to see those Sukhoi beauties :clapping:

Hope the TUDM will bring in lots of planes to brighten up the event a little bit. Most countries have already decided on their future fighters (SIN/MSIA/AUS) so dont expect too much action on that end. Anyway, quite a lack of airshows in ASEAN, so definately will enjoy this one.

Will be at LIMA myself on 5-6 Dec, 2007.

+++

Edited by Naim

any of you know how much are the tickets and if you can buy tickets in advance so you dont have to queue?

The queue for the public days of the 2005 LIMA was not that bad. I can't recall the entrance fee, but it was very reasonable.... not more than RM10. But the presence of Handau (air force commandos) everywhere was intimidating.

Sign in to follow this