MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Kong

Singapore choose Boeing's F-15T

Boeing's F-15T has beaten the Dassault Rafale in the two-horse race to provide Singapore with its next fighter.

The Singapore defence ministry has said in a statement it is "seeking final clarifications and contract negotiation" with the US manufacturer to provide the Singapore Air Force with eight aircraft and 12 options, or 12 fighters with an optional eight.

The Eurofighter Typhoon was earlier this year dropped from the contest because the four-nation consortium could not supply an aircraft to the island state's requirements by the end of 2008.

The Lockheed Martin F-16 Block 60 and Sukhoi Su-30/35 were eliminated in 2004.

Assuming the contract is finalised, the F-15s will replace retiring McDonnell Douglas A-4SUs.

Delays to the Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, which Singapore has said it will buy, could mean there could be requirements for further present-generation fighters.

Source:http://www.flightinternational.com

user posted image

Lucky for those who study will be studying in Foon Yew High School in JB (I also studied there during my high school), because it's just beside stulang Laut, sometime we can see their fighter jets flying pass

I have seen F-16 flying close to the border before... now they are buying F-15's... that's gonna be real loud

Ben-G

Why are they so insecure ?

They got US of A to protect them right?

7154[/snapback]

You think US of A will 'protect' them if they don't buy American, in one form or another ? rolleyes.gif

i think if SG get a suprise attack, there is only based-in-SG forces( do we call that 'garrison'?) to 'protect' them. takes time to cruise the smaller carriers at +-55kts from china's water to Sth China Sea, or frm pacific. Maybe the submarines are somewhere around S.E.A., then the missiles might give good help.

Speaking of choosing aircrafts, anyone knows what makes TUDM chooses F-18's and MiG29's?

i leart that F-18's can have wingtip stall while doing dogfight manoeuvres..

i was thinking... F-18 to drop bombs, and MiG's air support.. rolleyes.gif

Of a different Singapore topic:

"KLM was requested by the Civil Aviation Department of Singapore to adjust their schedules of KL0837 arriving SIN on 18sep and 25sep with 55 minutes, due to Air Defence Exercises. New arrival at SIN now anticipated at 1545 local time. Return flights to Amsterdam unchanged"

Seems fun, that they're closing their FIR completely for civil operators smile.gif

What's SQ gonna do these 2 days ???

Sign in to follow this