MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Alif A. F.

Cargo plane makes emergency landing in Osaka after pilot loses consciousness

Source: Japan Today (10th January 2007)

TOKYO — A Malaysian cargo plane en route from Anchorage to Hong Kong made an emergency landing at a western Japan airport Wednesday after the captain lost consciousness and another pilot took the controls. The incident occurred at around 11:45 a.m. when the McDonnell Douglas MD-11 of Transmile Air Services was flying on autopilot about 35 kilometers west of Cape Ashizuri in Kochi Prefecture at an altitude of about 12,000 meters, transport ministry officials said.

The captain went into convulsions and lost consciousness, they said. A total of five crew members were on board at the time. Another pilot who also holds captain's qualifications took over the controls and the airplane landed at Kansai International Airport in Osaka Prefecture at 12:18 p.m., they said. The captain regained consciousness shortly afterward and his condition is not life-threatening, they said.

Never knew that Transmile goes to Anchorage :huh:

Anyway, hope the captain is okay :)

Did the captain blacked out instantly or he fell asleep :help:

*raising one hand, waving* Me no pilot, what's Kochi Perfecture, Osaka Perfecture?

Thanks in advance... :)

Lucky nothing more serious happened... glad the pilot's ok..

Prefecture is like district/daerah, I think.

Yes..you are correct...

The word "prefecture" is common in Japan as is the word "province" common in China, I think.

Glad the pilot is ok! A transcript between ATC and Transmile would be nice...

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

Sign in to follow this