MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

AirAsia To Build MRO Facility Within Five Years

The bits I like:

To date, 75 percent of AirAsia's fleet in Kuala Lumpur is Airbus A320 and by July 2007, our Kuala Lumpur hub will be fully operated with A320s, said Tony.

He said, the company aimed to expand further into Indo China, Indonesia, Southern China (Kun Ming, Xiamen, Shenzen) and India.

Tony also said that AirAsia was confident of securing the rights to fly the Singapore-Kuala Lumpur route by early next year.

+++

December 22, 2006 21:52 PM

AirAsia To Build MRO Facility Within Five Years

SEPANG, Dec 22 (Bernama) -- Budget airline, AirAsia Bhd plans to build its low cost maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) facilities in Malaysia within the next five years, group chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes said.

"This is in our five-year plan. I think with our 100 aircraft, we will be able to make a headstart on what I believe to be the most low cost MRO with higher quality in the world," he told reporters at an event to celebrate the arrival of the airline's 50th aircraft, a brand new Airbus A320 into its fleet, here Friday.

The MRO, said Tony, has been identified as the new growth area for Malaysia and the country having progressed significantly in the aviation industry has tremendous potential to grow in MRO services.

Commenting on the new aircraft, AirAsia's 15th Airbus A320, Tony said its leather seats and wider seat pitch, among others, would give passengers more convenience and comfort.

"With all the new Airbus A320 rolling in for the next few years, we look forward to the Visit Malaysia Year 2007 as we stimulate greater interest to travel with our low fares," he said.

AirAsia, to date has carried over 26 million passengers and currently serves over 70 routes across 10 countries, with 300 flights per day.

The company targets to carry 18 million passengers next year.

With its recent confirmed orders of 100 A320s, Tony said that the low cost airline company would become the single largest Airbus A320 operator in the Asia-Pacific region by year 2012.

The company is currently in the progress of phasing out its 35 Boeing 737-300 aircraft and replacing them for an all new Airbus A320 fleet.

To date, 75 percent of AirAsia's fleet in Kuala Lumpur is Airbus A320 and by July 2007, our Kuala Lumpur hub will be fully operated with A320s, said Tony.

As for its Thailand operations, he said, it would receive its first Airbus A320 in October next year, while Indonesia by January 2008.

Meanwhile, Tony, who also unveiled AirAsia's next five-year plan today, want to undertake some aggressive strategies to strengthen and enhance its route network by connecting all the existing cities in the region within the time frame.

He said, the company aimed to expand further into Indo China, Indonesia, Southern China (Kun Ming, Xiamen, Shenzen) and India.

"The airline will focus on developing its hubs in Bangkok and Jakarta through sister companies, Thai AirAsia and Indonesia AirAsia," he said.

Tony also said that AirAsia was confident of securing the rights to fly the Singapore-Kuala Lumpur route by early next year.

"I think we could have something by the first quarter... and we are confident of taking a lot of hard traffic from Singapore over to Kuala Lumpur. It is crucial in making KLIA (KL International Airport) an important hub," he said.

-- BERNAMA

So the brand new aircraft delivered today is Fox-Oscar or Fox-Pieter ?? :p

Follow-up story.

Saturday December 23, 2006

The Star

AirAsia to boost route network

BY LEONG HUNG YEE

SEPANG: AirAsia Bhd will be strengthening and enhancing its route network by connecting all the existing cities it flies to and expanding to new destinations, group chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes said.

The budget carrier plans to expand further in Indochina, Indonesia, Southern China and India next year with the delivery of more new Airbus A320s.

“However, we will continue to focus on developing our hub in Bangkok and Jakarta through our sister companies, Thai AirAsia and Indonesia AirAsia,” Fernandes told a press conference after the delivery of its 50th A320 aircraft at the Low Cost Carrier Terminal here yesterday.

AirAsia, which is celebrating its fifth anniversary this year, has ordered 100 A320 with an option for 30 more.

Fernandes said looking at AirAsia’s aggressive network expansion plan, the 100 aircraft might not be sufficient to support its growth. The airline, he said, was considering placing more orders with Airbus.

AirAsia expects passenger volume to hit 18 million by end-2007, backed by the increase in number of aircraft and more destinations.

To a question, Fernandes said the company was optimistic of securing rights to fly the lucrative Singapore-Kuala Lumpur route by next year.

“I think we could have something next year. I think the only reason in not giving us Singapore is to protect Malaysia Airlines and it is about time that ends,” he said, adding that the carrier was confident of “taking a lot of hard traffic” from Singapore over to Kuala Lumpur.

Meanwhile, Fernandes said AirAsia had no plans to review its current fuel surcharge.

“Our surcharge is already one of the lowest in the world. Besides, the oil price trend is still rather volatile. We will only review it once it (oil price) reaches our target level,” he added.

AirAsia has also invested RM150mil over the past two years in its pilot training school, AirAsia Academy, to produce between 60 and 100 pilots a year as part of its expansion plan for the next five years.

Fernandes said while AirAsia had no shortage of pilots now, the training school would cater to its future expansion.

Meanwhile, AirAsia is engaged in talks with prospective companies to jumpstart the airline’s maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) facilities.

“MRO has been identified as a new growth area for Malaysia and with the country having progressed significantly in the aviation industry, such services have potential to grow,” he added.

So the brand new aircraft delivered today is Fox-Oscar or Fox-Pieter ?? :p

Looks like FO to me. B)

ko_01_big.jpg

[pic from Utusan Malaysia today]

.... the delivery of its 50th A320 aircraft ....

More like the 15th A330. 50th aircraft is a possibity... Once again. don't believe everything you hear in the news.

More like the 15th A330. 50th aircraft is a possibity... Once again. don't believe everything you hear in the news.

35 Boeings 737-300 and 15 Airbus... So the latest A320 is 50th Aircraft for in Air Asia Family... That is what all about...

Looks like you have to wait another month for yours, Pieter!

Will that be the special '3000th' A320 for AK ? :huh: :yahoo:

Good stuff from Tony.

“My first battle will be for lower airport charges; gaining entry into Singapore will be my last ... I just have to go in there like Luke Skywalker who walks in to destroy the last Darth star, Changi. If we get Singapore, we will have all the routes we wanted.''

"Allow us to grow, allow us to bring in people from Singapore. I am sure the 3 million people who are bored in Singapore want to come to Malaysia."

“We have to make Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd realise that lower charges means more travellers. It is a volume game but we are getting there."

“We will further expand in Indochina, Indonesia, southern China and India.''

“Going forward, we will continue to build our brand and hope we will become a global brand of the size of Coca-Cola and Nike. I believe it is achievable ..."

The airline is in the midst of introducing electronic check-in whereby passengers would be able to check in from their homes and print out their boarding passes. It is also trying to cut down on queues by increasing check-ins via personal digital assistants.

“As I said earlier, chapter one is over. It is now about chapter two of the AirAsia story. Star Wars has six parts and, hopefully, I will be around for five. I will leave chapter six to someone else ..."

Full story here.

THE STAR

Wednesday December 27, 2006

AirAsia embarks on 2nd chapter

By LEONG HUNG YEE

Fernandes, an avid Star Wars fan, likens the no-frills airline's struggle to grow its network and deliver on its low-fare promise to a battle in the immensely popular sci-fi movie series.

“It’s almost like Star Wars. Part one is over, and AirAsia has established itself in the industry,” he said, adding that the airline could now reap the benefits of its hard labour.

He said the airline was now moving on to the second chapter, during which he would have to fight two more battles.

“My first battle will be for lower airport charges; gaining entry into Singapore will be my last,'' he told StarBiz.

“I just have to go in there like Luke Skywalker who walks in to destroy the last Darth star, Changi. If we get Singapore, we will have all the routes we wanted.''

Fernandes said AirAsia was pushing for lower airport charges to encourage more people to travel and attract tourists to Malaysia.

“We have to make Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd realise that lower charges means more travellers. It is a volume game but we are getting there. It's a start,” he said, adding that the charges had been holding them back from exploring and delivering to its customers.

Fernandes said it was timely for a cut in airport charges as the low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) with its basic facilities was designed for budget airlines.

“However, budget travellers are currently paying about the same airport tax as those who are using premium facilities at the main terminal,” he said.

Fernandes pointed out that LCC airports in the US and Europe did not charge airport tax while Singapore's Changi Airport had very low airport charges for travellers using the LCCT.

“Lowering the airport tax would attract more travellers and more money could be made from ancillary services such as the food and shop outlets,” he added.

On his last “battle'', Fernandes said it was “just a matter of time'' before AirAsia was allowed to fly the Singapore route.

“I think we could have something next year. I think the only reason in not giving us Singapore is to protect Malaysia Airlines (MAS) and it is about time that ends,” he said, adding that the carrier was confident of taking “a lot of hard traffic'' from Singapore over to Kuala Lumpur.

“I do not believe stopping us from getting the Singapore route will help MAS at all. MAS became a better airline because of competition and I don't think anyone can deny that. So don’t protect them anymore. Allow us to grow, allow us to bring in people from Singapore. I am sure the 3 million people who are bored in Singapore want to come to Malaysia,” he added.

Fernandes said AirAsia's goal over the next five years was to “keep increasing frequency as we connect more dots.''

“The first five years was about putting our flags on as many destinations as possible and now on our focus is to increase flight frequency,” he said, adding that the airline would enhance its route network and connectivity in the region over the next five years.

“We will further expand in Indochina, Indonesia, southern China and India.''

Fernandes said the airline would develop its hubs in Thailand and Jakarta through its sister companies, Thai AirAsia and Indonesia AirAsia.

“We will soon have 12, 16 and 20 flights a day to Bangkok, Kota Kinabalu and Penang respectively. With more frequency, we will have more and more low fares,” he added.

AirAsia expects passenger volume to hit 18 million by end-2007, backed by an increase in the number of aircraft and destinations.

“We have built our brand to number 71 over the last five years, beating other brands that have been in the industry longer than us.

“Going forward, we will continue to build our brand and hope we will become a global brand of the size of Coca-Cola and Nike. I believe it is achievable,'' he added.

Fernandes said AirAsia planned to introduce more Internet products in the future. The airline is in the midst of introducing electronic check-in whereby passengers would be able to check in from their homes and print out their boarding passes. It is also trying to cut down on queues by increasing check-ins via personal digital assistants.

AirAsia, which is celebrating its fifth anniversary this year, has ordered 100 A320s with an option for 30 more.

Fernandes said that given AirAsia’s aggressive network expansion plan, the 100 aircraft might not be sufficient to support its growth. The airline, he said, was considering placing more orders with Airbus.

AirAsia, currently in the process of phasing out its B737-300s, would become the largest A320 operator in the Asia Pacific region by 2012.

The carrier received its 50th A320 aircraft last week, which to Fernandes is a milestone of sorts.

“It has been a fantastic year for us. What better way to end the year than by getting our 50th aircraft,” he said.

The A320s currently make up 75% of AirAsia's fleet in Kuala Lumpur, and by July next year, its Kuala Lumpur hub would be fully operated by the A320s.

“As I said earlier, chapter one is over. It is now about chapter two of the AirAsia story. Star Wars has six parts and, hopefully, I will be around for five. I will leave chapter six to someone else,” Fernandes said.

i really liked the interview on today's NST. it shows how determined he is to carry AirAsia forward towards greater heights..

“My first battle will be for lower airport charges; gaining entry into Singapore will be my last ... I just have to go in there like Luke Skywalker who walks in to destroy the last Darth star, Changi. If we get Singapore, we will have all the routes we wanted.''

simply superb..haha!

Sign in to follow this