MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Ong

McDonnell Douglas DC-10-10

I read the newspaaer the other day (in my own words):

A former American Airlines DC-10-10 was converted to a plane that could drop hundreds of gallons of water, fire retardent onto the ground, the convertion took place around April-May 2006 and was certified by the FAA on September and it went into service with the California Forestry Service. Later in the month it fought its first fire, the "Day" Fire. It charred 129,000 acres and it dropped 34,000 gallon of fire retardant onto the Day Fire. Then it also dropped 42,000 gallons of fir retardent on the current but already extinguished "Esperanza" Fire.

:pardon: Comments are welcomed B) B)

And here it is . . . performing a water-dropping demonstration at the Paris Air Show 2005.

IPB Image

KC Sim

nice, but after dropping its gotta land to replenish? waste time...

If fighting fires yes... but imagine one big giant wet-t-shirt competition during US Spring Break!!! :drinks: :rofl: :yahoo:

If fighting fires yes... but imagine one big giant wet-t-shirt competition during US Spring Break!!! :drinks: :rofl: :yahoo:

Sandeep has a point there; Its because it can stop BIG fires. :good:

Also, I for got to say that there is also obviously a converted 747-231(SF) air tanker by Evergreen International. :rolleyes:

A DC-10 converted into water bomber is not a new stuff, check this out

DC-10

water dropping demo

water dropping demo

Sandeep has a point there; Its because it can stop BIG fires. :good:

Also, I for got to say that there is also obviously a converted 747-231(SF) air tanker by Evergreen International. :rolleyes:

Andrew,

I think again you misunderstand. I was agreeing with Fendy on "wasting Time"... There are lots of operational issues associated with the DC10 in firefighting config that could really hamper its effective operation.

Remember that C130 that lost its wings fighting fires??

see here

Not new???? :blink: :huh:

My friend told me that the DC-10 conversion was very recent. :huh: :help: :help:

it's only 2 years, could be new.

:rofl: T shirt during spring break...no no no :D

And here it is . . . performing a water-dropping demonstration at the Paris Air Show 2005.

IPB Image

KC Sim

Will be difficult to remain level-flight/same altitude, when all this weight is released :o

Will be difficult to remain level-flight/same altitude, when all this weight is released :o

Especially with near full or full flaps deployed as can be seen in that picture KC provided.. I would love to see the operational procedure for this particular aircraft water dump.. When dump is executed, do pilots immediately execute a "go-around" like procedure???

Especially with near full or full flaps deployed as can be seen in that picture KC provided.. I would love to see the operational procedure for this particular aircraft water dump.. When dump is executed, do pilots immediately execute a "go-around" like procedure???

When the news show the DC-10 doing a water dropping over the massive "Day" Fire at San Bernardino County Los Padres National Forest, I saw it made one trip went around and left. :mellow: :mellow:

Check out the November 2006 issue of AIRWAYS (www.airwaysmag.com). There is a superb article on the B747 and DC-10 supertankers for fighting fires.

According to the article, the DC-10 tanker holds 12,000 US gallons of water or retardant - and once back on the ground, it takes only 8 minutes to fully re-fill the tanks.

This DC-10 tanker has a very colourful past - having first operated in the beautiful colours of National Airlines, then with Pan American, Hawaiian Airlines, American Airlines before going to Omni Air International in 1997 for the tanker conversion. Its real-life fire-fighting debut took place on 16 July 2006 . . . in the San Bernardino County fire.

KC Sim

Sign in to follow this