MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Izanee

MH to discontinue ARN/EWR - is it a good idea?

heheh i'm as stumped as you are Pieter.. but maybe Seth is referring to the 787 as being an efficient aircraft for high frequency, point-to-point flights as advertised by Boeing??? But then I am reminded about MAS now firmly applying the hub-and-spoke model in scheduling..

Seth, do you mean to say that MAS should use the 787 to EWR?? I think the LR version is some years away. Why not the 772LR? or the A350XWB?

Yeah LR, sorry guys, eager to promote Dreamliner :pardon:

From The Star

MAS urged not to discontinue service to Stockholm

BY NG SI HOOI

STOCKHOLM: Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy has received a message from the tour agents, business community and airport authorities here strongly appealing to Malaysia Airlines (MAS) not to discontinue its Kuala Lumpur-Stockholm-New York route.

“Even the Swedish government through its Industry, Employment and Communication Ministry has strongly appealed to us to reconsider the decision.

“I will convey the appeal to the MAS management to look into it,†he told Malaysian reporters after meeting with Swedish Civil Aviation Administration Group (LFV) and Stockholm Arlanda Airport director-general Lars Rekke at the airport here on Thursday.

However, Chan said the Government, which was the MAS major shareholder, normally would not interfere with decisions made by the MAS' management.

“We seldom interfere with the decisions taken by MAS, especially when the decisions were made for the best interest of the airlines.

MAS will discontinue the service from Jan 14 next year after operating for 20 months, since November 2004.

Rekke said: “The air service between Kuala Lumpur and Stockholm has benefited the two nations in many ways such as investment, business promotion and tourism.â€

He said MAS, as a prestigious airline, had a great potential in Sweden and the 20 months service from Kuala Lumpur to Stockholm was a relatively short time to make the judgment.

“We hope to convey our views on the decision. However, we fully respect any decision made by the MAS management and other relevant parties in Malaysia,†Rekke added.

MH needs alliance to feed pax from USA. Without alliance, it is inconvenience and more expensive to travel on MH.

Point to point model and working alone is outdated and uncompetitive.

I guess MH made it clear that they did not want any interference when doing the revamping and restructuring of its routes. Seems like the intereference is evident here but if it saves the route why not...!!!!

:drinks:

Just fly to LAX with 2 daily flights, 777 and 747.........................................No gov interfere needed.

Edited by Seth K

Despite what I've said earlier,

Positively, It may still work with reinforcing CO / NW joint arrangements. Afterall EWR is CO's hub. This may help the ARN - EWR sector.

Whereas ARN - KUL may still work with aggresive promotions and capitalise on beyond KUL, say to Australasia, Indo China; which may be attractive for Europeans / Scandinavians.

In fact, Malaysia's Natural Beauty is the main reason why most Europeans would want to see. Trust me, almost all of my European friends said so. Unfortunatly it is not well promoted ( in some cases maintained) .

But, it will compete directly with TG's strong pressence in Scandinavia. Especially TG is "close" to SK and THailand's strong Asian Cultural Charm.

A good comprimise is may be to have seasonal flights only. As the market now is "Leisure" not Business. But, if it is Business, regular flights is essential.