MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Gavin Andrew David

Aircraft Collision in US

Last night I was out and just had a glance of an aircraft that was taxiing in the US and had hydraulic problems and what looked liked taxied right into another a/c

Looked through google news but couldn't see anything ..

Anyone got the story behind it

Last night I was out and just had a glance of an aircraft that was taxiing in the US and had hydraulic problems and what looked liked taxied right into another a/c

Looked through google news but couldn't see anything ..

Anyone got the story behind it

Try this one:

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S17479.html?cat=5

.ny

dont u ppl felt tat ....... aircraft designer hav to think sth to fix the hydraulic prob ?? 10 aircraft crash 9 of them are because of hydraulic failure....

dont u ppl felt tat ....... aircraft designer hav to think sth to fix the hydraulic prob ?? 10 aircraft crash 9 of them are because of hydraulic failure....

There are redundancies design into any aircraft hydraulic system.. for example, there are usually two engine driven hydraulic pumps and two electric motor hydraulic pumps.. these are under 2 hydraulic systems.. System A has 1 elec, 1 motor pump and System B has 1 elec and 1 motor pump.. System A and System B control different things.. if System A fails and brakes are operated by System A, then there is a problem lah.. you cannot interchange systems.. after reading the report, it sounds like the aircraft was considered ok after it landed (it had reported hydraulic problems already).. i.e. brakes all fine... it did afterall manage to slow down and exit the runway... perhaps after landing, the system completely failed and hence the loss of brakes... otherwise the pilot would not have chosen to taxi the aircraft and requested a tow to the gate..

this was indeed a very unfortunate incident.. involving a DC-9 too!??!?!? Those are old so mechanical failure is always a possibility.. especially when US airlines are all on the verge of Ch. 11 bankruptcy and costs are being trimmed to the bone!

Thankfully, all were ok and as the report says, no explosion! But the footage if anyone gets to see it is simply spectacular... (in the bad sense of the word of course..)

The incident occured 1 year ago although the CCTV was only recently released to media.

The MD lost steering power, and hence it crashed to the A319's back.

IPB Image

Edited by Denny Yen

The incident occured 1 year ago although the CCTV was only recently released to media.

The MD lost steering power, and hence it crashed to the A319's back.

IPB Image

Agree with you,Denny.I've seen this photo on A.Net database.Thank god,nothing bad had happened.