MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Seth K

Malaysia Airline union says no to A380

Yes, the 332 were meant to serve the thin medium-haul routes. The main problem with MAS 332 is the seat configuration. Way too many GCC seats !

332 not 4 long haul? Yes agree, 332 has so many GCC! IIRC two section of the plane are GCC :help:

Point taken,HS Lim, but MAS has been spending lots of dollars and cents on introducing the A380. An A380 hangar is being built at KLIA as well speak. If the A380 program is cancelled, MAS or the Malaysian people ultimately will be punished or fined by breaching contracts. As it has been discussed before, MAS does not need the A380 in a hurry, but it is already too late to cancel. Perhaps in longer terms the A380 will be useful.

Punished for breach of contract? (I assume that's what you meant)

I imagine that commercial aircraft customers are bound to the deal by the progressive payments that have to be made as the airframe moves down the production line. Basically, PMB loses whatever it has paid so far per the agreement if it chooses to back out of the deal. My description here is probably an oversimplification of the transaction but, aside from the investment that PMB stands to lose, what else could Airbus (and the other suppliers for the A380) potentially claim from PMB in damages for this breach of contract?

Does anybody know how much (approximate percentage of purchase price) PMB has already paid out to Airbus and the other suppliers for the A380?

Too bad that MH, PMB and MAHB have already committed funds to the upgrade of infrastructure earlier than necessary; nevertheless, these improvements, while driven by the preparation for the A380, can benefit other aspects of the operations.

Yes, the 332 were meant to serve the thin medium-haul routes. The main problem with MAS 332 is the seat configuration. Way too many GCC seats !

Yes indeed, since they were originally SWISS and SABENA aircraft.

I guess many of us remember that prior to Idris Jala's arrival, the mantra was pretty much "our aircraft need more premium seats because that's where the money is"... yeah, if they were filled with real paying passengers. I recall that the A333 was introduced with a F12C56Y213 cabin configuration!

since MH has spent so much money already to improve facilities for the A380 and on the A380 itself....don't defer it. use it on AMS/LHR-KUL-SYD/MEL/PER route. take out more 744s and convert them to freighter versions so that MASKargo can compete on a more even footing with SQ or EK skycargo....since MASKargo is MH's star performer!

get rid of those bloody 747-200Fs..

just my humble opinion...

Too bad that MH, PMB and MAHB have already committed funds to the upgrade of infrastructure earlier than necessary; nevertheless, these improvements, while driven by the preparation for the A380, can benefit other aspects of the operation

Agree with you there, the previous management was somewhat short-sighted.

get rid of those bloody 747-200Fs..

MAS should start the 747-400BCF modification! 9M-MPA to MPD are probably quite ready! IIRC MPA was delivered in 1993(?), 13 years old now. MAS probably still thinking at this stage they don't know whether their cargo capacity will sustain and thats why wet-leasing Air Atlanta Icelandic's 747-200 freighters will probably a less-risky option?

MH either had yet to receive or had just begun receiving the B772. As "ill equipped" as the A333 may seem to you now, the DC-10s are likely to have been worse.

No doubt, the DC-10 was arguably the longest serving jet of MAS. It was rather tired looking before their retirement from MAS. The 772 was supposed to replace the DC-10s actually.

By the way, welcome to the forum HSLim.

Edited by S V Choong

since MH has spent so much money already to improve facilities for the A380 and on the A380 itself....don't defer it. use it on AMS/LHR-KUL-SYD/MEL/PER route. take out more 744s and convert them to freighter versions so that MASKargo can compete on a more even footing with SQ or EK skycargo....since MASKargo is MH's star performer!

MH or MAHB spent money upgrading the facilities? From the beginning, I thought MH is too late about A380, they have to get it. If they didn't, whose gonna use the A380 facilities at KUL? Any other airlines plan to use A380 to KUL yet? Yes, the old 744 should be convert to freighter and get rid of 742 or keep all of them for futher expasnion :)

Guest Michael

There is no way MAS can do this if it wants to be among the best airlines in the world let us not forget this is a 5 star carrier.

Yes, the old 744 should be convert to freighter and get rid of 742 or keep all of them for futher expasnion :)

But converting those refurbed 744s into freighters are not really smart IMHO...

How many 744s still in old config?

Also is it possible to make those 333s freighters?

There are plenty still in old conf. :) Not refurbish.........Ipoh, Melaka etc.

Edited by Seth K

AFAIK, 9M-MPA (Ipoh) is still in old config. Been on her last year, her interior shows signs of tiredness, although nowhere near the tiredness of NZ and QF 767s.

There is no way MAS can do this if it wants to be among the best airlines in the world let us not forget this is a 5 star carrier.

MAS has mentioned that they don't need that many 747s to serve their routes. So by not converting the freighters, they will be sitting at Subang maintanance base forever and letting it rot. It is actually more about survival than maintaining the 5 star status. Lets face it, MAS is NOT the best airline in the world just yet - at least not by their management skills.

Edited by S V Choong

AFAIK, 9M-MPA (Ipoh) is still in old config. Been on her last year, her interior shows signs of tiredness, although nowhere near the tiredness of NZ and QF 767s.

MAS has mentioned that they don't need that many 747s to serve their routes. So by not converting the freighters, they will be sitting at Subang maintanance base forever and letting it rot. It is actually more about survival than maintaining the 5 star status. Lets face it, MAS is NOT the best airline in the world just yet - at least not by their management skills.

QF 767s not that bad whatt :) they atleast refurbish the cabins :) The MH744 interior panels are that old "yellow-beige" colour as opposed to their original clean "white" appearance.

MPA and MPK are sitting idle at SZB, and from another thread, MH is not converting them... so sad lah.

MPA and MPK are sitting idle at SZB, and from another thread, MH is not converting them... so sad lah.

Are those planes earmarked for lease to Ethopian or what?

Hope those are not like the majority of those in Marana or Mojave deserts...

Are those planes earmarked for lease to Ethopian or what?

Good point Mr. Foo, forgot about "old news" Ethiopia wanted to lease 2 MH 744. Could be it?

yeah it could be. But always thought Ethopian wanted the ex-MH 744 Combis currently sitting at the desert. Last I checked was that those two ex-Combis have been given an EP-xxxx registration.

Also is it possible to make those 333s freighters?

Possibly 4 or 5 still in old config. The last one they plan to reconfigure is MPN. That leaves MPA, MPG, MPK and MPM; looks like these 4 will be withdrawn from service.

The A333 conversion cannot happen until Airbus defines the A330-300 converted freighter as a subtype and receives certification from the relevant aviation authorities worldwide. So far there seems to be interest only in a freighter version for the shorter fuselage / longer range -200.

yeah it could be. But always thought Ethopian wanted the ex-MH 744 Combis currently sitting at the desert. Last I checked was that those two ex-Combis have been given an EP-xxxx registration.

The last I read was that Ethiopian has decided to go for other types instead of the 744combis. I can't remember what they are but it might even be something surprising like the MD-11.

Thanks for the welcome S V.

Slightly off-topic, but what is going to happen with the 734 utilisation after August 1 when MH has scaled down to 19 trunk routes in the domestic market? What is going to happen to the 734 fleet, the flight and cabin crew etc.?

Being laid off under the mutual separation scheme, I think. No news about the 734 as of yet.

The last I read was that Ethiopian has decided to go for other types instead of the 744combis. I can't remember what they are but it might even be something surprising like the MD-11.

Dang, the combis are back in the desert then? It is best to convert them into 747-400BCF really.

Dang, the combis are back in the desert then? It is best to convert them into 747-400BCF really.

The GE-powered combis have been disposed of to Boeing for some time now.

Ethiopian appears to have decided on an A332 and an MD-11 for a short term solution before moving on to 777s and more 767s.

excess B734 pilots will be sent to other types in the carrier... MAS is already facing a pilot shortage as it is, combined with the outflow of pilots to the middle east and Korea, MAS simply can not afford to lose pilots. The widebody fleet has been suffering for some time now in terms of crew availability.. the Pilots union (MAPA) has been continuously raising concern over the issue of flight-time limitiation hours... Some flights have indeed been delayed to due lack of pilots.. The B744, A330 and 772 fleet is where these excess pilots will go. Cabin crew, I'm not too sure, but I think numbers are ok, so unfortunately, some Cabin crew might be leaving or changing attire into red-mini-skirts...

it's a shame really.. hopefully MAS picks up its game soon..