MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sneeze Lam

Boeing, Cathay Pacific Airways Finalize Agreement for Additional 777-300ERs

Boeing, Cathay Pacific Airways Finalize Agreement for Additional 777-300ERs

SEATTLE, June 01, 2006 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] and Cathay Pacific Airways have signed an agreement for the purchase of two additional Boeing 777-300ER (Extended Range) jetliners, exercising existing purchase rights and bringing the airline's total 777-300ER commitment to 18 airplanes over the past six months.

Cathay Pacific ordered 12 777-300ERs from Boeing in December 2005, as well as four additional airplanes from International Lease Finance Company.

Cathay Pacific plans to take delivery of the two new 777-300ERs in 2008. The airplanes are valued at approximately $500 million at list prices, and will be powered by General Electric GE 90-115B engines, the world's largest and most powerful commercial jet engine.

"Cathay Pacific is a long-time customer and we are especially pleased that the 777-300ER plays such a strategic role in their plans," said Larry Dickenson, vice president, Sales - Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "Their ambitious delivery schedule is a key indication of fuel efficiency of the 777 family and its ability to make an immediate impact on fuel costs."

"These additional aircraft orders reflect our determination to expand and grow" said Philip Chen, chief executive officer, Cathay Pacific Airways. "More aircraft will allow us to widen our services network and connectivity, further strengthen Cathay Pacific as a home carrier and Hong Kong's position as a global hub and gateway to the Chinese Mainland. We are wholly confident in the long-term future of the airline and Hong Kong, and committed to the continued profitable growth of the airline."

Cathay Pacific was part of the launch team for both the Boeing 777-200 and 777-300 models, playing a critical role in the 777's success, especially the performance capabilities and comfort standards of the jetliner family. Cathay is one of the leading airlines that helped define and develop the configuration of the 777.

The airline currently operates 16 777-200s and -300s for regional operations and the airline has selected the 777 family as the standard of its ultra-long-haul luxury service for the future.

The 777 family of airplanes is popular with passengers and airlines alike due to its fuel-efficient twin-engine design, high reliability, low operating costs, and comfortable and spacious interior. The 777-300ER carries 365 passengers in a three-class arrangement up to 7,880 nautical miles (14,594 kilometers).

Over the life of the 777 program, 43 airlines worldwide have placed 849 firm orders for all versions of the 777.

Edited by Sneeze Lam

Sneeze,

Thanks for sharing that!

Any chance of green belly coming to Dubai? :rofl:

Great... More 777! Nice airplane!

I was talking to the Cathay 773 pilots the other day; they are really looking forward to the 773ER into the fleet. The F/O I talked to was really excited, judging from his gesture. :D

To me it looks like both CX and SQ are standardizing their long haul fleets on the 773ER and the 747 will be on its way out (despite the 748 offering) Wonder if anyone will eventually order the passenger version of 748 ? You'll notice that orders for both pax 748 and 380 have suddenly dried up recently

With fuel prices skyrocketing, it's a natural choice to change the 744's with 773's ;)

Not only SQ and CX are doing this, even KL, finally, ordered 3 773's recently to replace the oldest 744's in the fleet...

With fuel prices skyrocketing, it's a natural choice to change the 744's with 773's ;)

Not only SQ and CX are doing this, even KL, finally, ordered 3 773's recently to replace the oldest 744's in the fleet...

Before, i have watched an interview of the CEO of the "4 engines 4 long hauls" by Bloomberg, he said the to fly 4 engines is nearly the similar efficient as well as the fuel usage then B777.

Is it really the case?

Edited by Sneeze Lam

Before, i have watched an interview of the CEO of the "4 engines 4 long hauls" by Bloomberg, he said the to fly 4 engines is nearly the similar efficient as well as the fuel usage then B777.

Is it really the case?

Per seat it might be the case; per distance flown, no doubt, the 773's are more efficient...

The 744's, though, can transport more cargo than 773's, especially those Combi's you see at HKG :blink:

sneeze,

make them visit KUL bro :clapping: !!! there has been no raked wingtip visitor for quite sometime now. :(

sneeze,

make them visit KUL bro :clapping: !!! there has been no raked wingtip visitor for quite sometime now. :(

Haha, should I manage to apply a CX job and climb as fast as I can to be the manager for aircraft movement?

hahaha, dreaming :( :( :( :(

I think chance will be there for KUL, as it is obvious that they will be replacing B744 or/and even A343(?).