MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Tamizi Hj Tamby

SBW Airport renovation project....why no latest development?

Guys,

I'm just wondering,what really happened to the SBW airport renovation project?The taxiway and the apron is now fully completed,but how about the extended runway and the proposed terminal complex project?

So,Anybody knows what really made this project was being on hold?

I read from other forum that the concrete barriers placed at the end of the runway have been removed and now aircrafts can use full length for landing and take-off. Someone did see a Xiamen Airline chartered flight last week (27/5/06) in SBW.

Edited by I. Wong

i just came back doing testing on SBW runway..didnt notice any barrier there..but i notice that the all planes didnt use the new extended part of the runway...

..... didnt notice any barrier there..but i notice that the all planes didnt use the new extended part of the runway...

This perhaps add to suggestion that runway extension was not necessary in the first place ? ;)

The runway extension is to accommodate Airbus landing, like BTU and MYY. But, MAS do not fly A330 or B772 to these airports. For me, they need to upgrade the terminal building rather than runway extension.

I read from other forum that the concrete barriers placed at the end of the runway have been removed and now aircrafts can use full length for landing and take-off. Someone did see a Xiamen Airline chartered flight last week (27/5/06) in SBW.

Xiamen Airlines charter flight to Fuzhou? AFAIK, most Sibu Chinese are of Fuzhou/Fujian ancestry?

This perhaps add to suggestion that runway extension was not necessary in the first place ? ;)

maybe the runway extension for future demand perhaps..but i think they should start the renovation on the terminal first rather than the runway....the building look a bit outdated already..

this June, on the 6th, there will be another Xiamen Airlines flight to Sibu from Fuzhou.

hopefully any spotters from SBW can catch it :)

maybe the runway extension for future demand perhaps..but i think they should start the renovation on the terminal first rather than the runway....the building look a bit outdated already..

this June, on the 6th, there will be another Xiamen Airlines flight to Sibu from Fuzhou.

hopefully any spotters from SBW can catch it :)

Oh! I only be back to Sibu on 8th of June. Unfortunately, I can't help it.