MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Airlines Told To Enforce Baggage Limits

I simply agree with this. Just unbelievable how much carry-on baggage some ppl bring on-board. Some even need help to stow theirs in the overhead bins! There's a case of a Singapore surgeon who was injured when hit in the head by an oversized suitcase which fell off.

.ny

+++

April 24, 2006 14:38 PM

Airlines Told To Enforce Baggage Limits

MELBOURNE, April 24 (Bernama) -- Businesspeople are being targeted in a crackdown on the amount of baggage carried on to planes.

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) is encouraging airlines to use their legal authority to limit the weight and size of baggage taken into cabins, the Australian Associated Press reports.

A CASA spokesman told AAP businesspeople were the main offenders because they often did not want to wait for luggage coming out of the cargo hold at the end of a flight.

"We made some observations at major airports in January and discovered that self-service check-ins which are popular with businesspeople needed to be better monitored," he said.

The airports monitored were Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra, Perth and Melbourne.

But it is not just businesspeople who are breaking the rules, with CASA reporting a tennis star wanted to take a full tennis kit into the cabin.

Measuring over a metre, the bag was well over the carry-on limit but the star demanded it remained inside the cabin.

He lost the argument and CASA said the incident should serve as an example to anyone planning to argue about carry-on limits.

"Cabin crew are legally required to enforce the operator's carry-on baggage limits," AAP quoted the spokesman as saying.

The authority has told airline staff that any passenger refusing to comply with the limit should be referred to the pilot who can issue a legal direction.

"The size and weight of carry-on baggage is limited in the interests of safety," the spokesman said.

"That's because if a flight encounters turbulence, or has an accident, serious damage can result from cabin baggage hurtling through the cabin," he explained.

-- BERNAMA

Edited by naim

There's a case of a Singapore surgeon who was injured when hit in the head by an oversized suitcase which fell off.

Good thing is he's a surgeon :lol:

In my opinion, airline need better overhead lock so stuff don't fall out. About the overcapicity, no comment cuz I did the same thing, I just hate waiting at LAX etc. waiting for my bags after disembark from 747 :)

The authority has told airline staff that any passenger refusing to comply with the limit should be referred to the pilot who can issue a legal direction.

wau... looks like the pilot will be very busy... :p

in my opinion, i think the airport should also take some responsibilities to speed up the process of luggage coming out... because sometimes it will take very long time...

Since early 2005, all New Zealand airports only allowed passengers to carry no more than 7kg for each single piece of hand luggage to go into the cabin, regardless of international or domestic flight. All passengers are only allowed to carry one piece of hand luggage to go into the cabin in the interest of safety and comfort.

Since early 2005, all New Zealand airports only allowed passengers to carry no more than 7kg for each single piece of hand luggage to go into the cabin, regardless of international or domestic flight. All passengers are only allowed to carry one piece of hand luggage to go into the cabin in the interest of safety and comfort.

I believe many airlines have similar rule but the staffs just aren't strict enough. Like one MAS check-in staff at KLIA (not about carry-ons though), 2 passengers luggage was overweight by 13 KG !!!! and she didn't charge them. What a nice check-in staff :) :)

Edited by Isaac

..... 2 passengers luggage was overweight by 13 KG !!!! and she didn't charge them. What a nice check-in staff :) :)

Is this before or after check-in staff were reportedly offered percentage of overweight luggage penalties ? :blink:

Is this before or after check-in staff were reportedly offered percentage of overweight luggage penalties ? :blink:

Sorry, i don't quite get it ...... You mean they will get some of the penalties we paid to the airline ?

Yes, apparently an incentive to get check-in staff to strictly enforce the no excess baggage rule. Though I have not read firm evidence of this, so don't quote me please !

Yes, apparently an incentive to get check-in staff to strictly enforce the no excess baggage rule. Though I have not read firm evidence of this, so don't quote me please !

Oh i see. Erm ...... I'm not so sure. Do you wanna know who that two passengers are ? :lol: :lol: I still have the luggage stickers with me and it only stated "5/ 40 kg". Actually it was 32.50% heavier :lol: :lol:

Sign in to follow this