MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Imran K.

FZ30 Spotting Experience (MY Chapter)

Hi guys and gals,

Many people have sent me emails, and PM's with questions regarding almost every mentionable and comparable aspect of the FZ30. Questions ranging from "How does the Leica lens perform under 3 lux lighting?" (which i have yet to answer :blink: ) to those like "Zoom dia camner?" :lol: .

Anyways...Most of the questions originated from those who wanted to use the camera for aviation spotting in Malaysia. Thus, I decided to start this thread to show those people how the camera operates under so-called "spotting conditions" instead of clogging up the other thread. Nanti Ben-G marah... :lol: Btw..ALL SHOTS ARE UNEDITED. ONLY RESIZED AND SOME MINOR CROPPING

Here we go....*deep breaths* :)

This first shot was taken at OMDB. I was travelling back to Malaysia on MH160 (i think :unsure: ) which only had 7 POB. Yup..no typo there... TUJUH/SEVEN P.O.B! I didnt feel like experimenting with the different in-built modes, thus I switched it to AUTO, set the zoom at a good 45mm, and snapped. I was expecting a picture full of noise...but instead I got this. :)

IPB Image

Second shots was also taken at OMDB. This time, i moved to the seat infront of me. Set the camera to Auto again, and snapped at 35mm. Some reflections can be seen...this is due to the fact that I was shooting through the window of the A330.

IPB Image

Now for the spotting shots.

These shots were taken on Tuesday, 11th of April (Maulidur Rasul) between the times of 0900 and 1200. Benjamin Ho and Yong Chia were there as well! The following shots were taken with the "SPORTS" mode. Zoom ranges vary.

What better way to start off the day...Here comes Mike Quebec Lima!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Then...the "other" workhorse came along. Mr. Sun decided to rest for a while... :angry: :(

IPB Image

IPB Image

This shot was taken at full zoom...432mm foh shizzle.. :lol: :lol:

IPB Image

More to come. Do post your comments and any questions you may have.

Bye B)

Mana AK ??? LCCT look Empty :blink:

Imran Mana Trip Report ??? Anyway Nice Shot. I am Waiting For More Cool Shot.. :D

:D Good shots, Imran... :D

Leica lens provides crispy images with good color tonation... :D

Understood those Obs Hill shots in "sport" mode,

did you try using manual or at least "shutter" or "aperture" priority,

maybe able to bring some "actions" to the main subjects.. ;)

Congrat... FZ30 shines here :D

7 POB? Cannot be. 7 pax, maybe. POB counts everybody on board, passanger and crew; adult, children and infant.

7 POB is an empty 737.

As for the Panasonic, looks good. Worth recommending.

Edited by Radzi

Imran,

May I also ask..................................

MANA CX? :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

IPB Image

Is the white mushrooms over there is the place for observation?

Edited by Sneeze Lam

sneeze lam...can speak malay now...."Mana CX.."

white mushroom is parking Lot..no way for spotting, unless you have 500mm F2.8...he he he he

Radzi,

Oh boy...sorry for the misinterpretation of the "P". All this while, I thought it stood for "PASSENGERS". :huh:

Anyways...No EK as we were only there until 1200. Those Afternoon spotters shouldve got one... :mellow:

CX...coming soon... :lol:

Anyways...recap on where the camera is now. Still on "sports" mode, with High Speed Auto Focus mode, Combined Spot & Bracket metering (iirc) and a Skylight 1A filter to protect the precious Leica.

Our Sri Lankan friends decided to drop by too! Intersection departure plak tu... :o Check out the heat haze, truly was a damn hot day

IPB Image

I Love the "nose down" attitude... :)

IPB Image

Thought of Azahan...no laa..not in that way... :lol: So I went for the max 432mm...and snapped this. Very pleased! :D

IPB Image

Now, if anybody wants to use this camera for spotting of any moving vehicles, the shutter lag can cause such photos to appear on the SD card. :( Nose tip gone..

IPB Image

But...time it just right...and such photos will appear on the SD card.. :)

IPB Image

Air Lanka XXX, contact Lumpur Approach on one two four decimal two once airborne, good day.

IPB Image

Next round...CATHAY PACIFIC! B)

sneeze lam...can speak malay now...."Mana CX.."

white mushroom is parking Lot..no way for spotting, unless you have 500mm F2.8...he he he he

:p I am a good learner. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, I have in total 640mm, but without f/2.8 :( :( :( :( :(

I heard FZ30 got some intense noise problems ...

Sure no editing done on your images?

Certainly some D70 Quality shots there .

Yup.

The noise problems only surface at High ISO's. However, most of my shots were taken at IS0 80-100. Nothing more, nothing less.

Btw..those shots do possess a degree of noise. If you zoom into any originial, out-of-memory card picture taken by the fz30, you will DEFINITELY see noise...but at normal 100% zoom, there is virtually nothing.

Right now, my aim is to try and get some sharper shots by using the Shutter Priority or Aperture priority mode when spotting...sadly...I have a 2 month wait... :(

Yup.

The noise problems only surface at High ISO's. However, most of my shots were taken at IS0 80-100. Nothing more, nothing less.

Btw..those shots do possess a degree of noise. If you zoom into any originial, out-of-memory card picture taken by the fz30, you will DEFINITELY see noise...but at normal 100% zoom, there is virtually nothing.

Right now, my aim is to try and get some sharper shots by using the Shutter Priority or Aperture priority mode when spotting...sadly...I have a 2 month wait... :(

With max aperture f/2.8(wide) - f/3.7(max tele)... you don't need to go beyond ISO100

when spotting in "normal" daylight.

And I'm sure you won't print the images beyond A4 :D

So noise is relative here.

If and when you want to print beyond A4 (for what ever reasons)

you won't be looking at the pix as close as you look at A4, right?

Unless want to find the grains laa... :lol:

However... if you really need to go beyond ISO100.. by all means go to ISO400

You may have a solid reason to capture the scene at that ISO level

and at f/2.8 and 1/10s with M.OIS...

So.. you'll get the noise... BUT You still have the picture right?

Rather than miss the opportunity to capture :lol:

Imran... to get sharper picture... try to use smaller aperture... ie bigger f/number

using Aperture Priority... let cam decides on the shutterspeed. Once you get hold

of it... change to full manual :D

Robocop arms are added bonus here :lol: :lol:

--

Hey, good camera.

My friend has one and I saw his indoor pics from a party. Looks good. Didn't notice the noise there at all. I'm surprised though that there is a shutter lag for a top model.

Hey, good camera.

My friend has one and I saw his indoor pics from a party. Looks good. Didn't notice the noise there at all. I'm surprised though that there is a shutter lag for a top model.

Its not very pronounced...but...tends to get anoyying when dealing with fast-moving subjects. Ok..more shots to come..gotta settle some simmer stuff first.

Nice shots Imran. If I didn't knew it, I would have thought all these photos were from a DSLR.

As for shutter lag, with some more practice, you'll get use to it and make that as an advantage.

BTW, where is our Wednesday afternoon shot?

Night photo ada lagi?

Fitri,

The photos we took on our outing will be "revealed" in due course! Sabaq la brader... :lol:

Everybody ;especially Sneeze,

Here are some more photos! Now..by this time of the morning, the sun was glaring down on us resulting in both sweltering heat and irritating heat waves! But what to do...us spotters are a dedicated bunch. Rain, Shine, Snow, Mud, World Cup, we'll still spot!! :lol:

Honk Honk Honk Honk...

IPB Image

A wider view of that aircraft. One thing I love about this camera, is the way the colour saturation is balanced.

IPB Image

Now...Malaysia is known for its humidity. Heck, Arabs talk about it! There I was..sweating like mad...and just as I was aiming at this baby...a drop of moist, salty sweat entered my eye..causing me to both click the shutter and shout out in alarm! Sikit lagi..wouldve been nicely framed :(

IPB Image

One of my favourite angles. Sometimes, the camera's WB goes a little "out" when the fuselage is bright...but it seems to be working alright now...

IPB Image

Cathay xxx..contact Lumpur Approach one two four two good day..and say hi to sneeze lam for me.. :lol:

IPB Image

Fitri,

Cathay xxx..contact Lumpur Approach one two four two good day..and say hi to sneeze lam for me.. :lol:

Imran Tower, Cathay xxx wilco, good day and nice photo. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Woooa.. Nice Pic Imran.. More More More... Takkan Skit Saja. ^_^

Hi again guys...Here are a few more shots of an MH 737 and 777. Dont worry (especially brahim :p ) many many more shots to come!

Mike Mike Quebec is on its takeoff roll...destined for 6000 initial.

IPB Image

V1...Rotate..

IPB Image

Romeo Kilo turning onto the active...

IPB Image

Cleared for takeoff, 32R

IPB Image

Hmm..could have zoomed in a little..but nice shot nontheless...

IPB Image

Bye Bye Romeo Kilo..

IPB Image

More shots soon! B) Comment away!

There AK Azahan got MU Plane Also !!!!

Imran realy nice pic from Obs.Hill.. Give me your pic in action so i can put you at KLIA virtual Obs.hill.. hehehehe