MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Y. J. Foo

Zodiac patents new Y-class 'Hexagon' seats

Seat manufacturer Zodiac has filed a patent for its latest idea - turning the middle seat 180 degree to face backwards and have the seats arranged hexagonally “to increase cabin density while also creating seat units that increase the space available at the shoulder and arm area.”

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hey-look-nightmarish-idea-plane-seating-ever/

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/07/09/421558674/the-plane-seating-arrangement-thats-being-called-a-nightmare

I'll be damned if this ever gets FAA/EASA certification...

I remembered reading that backward seats are actually better as the chances for survival are higher when passengers are seated facing backwards...

but it sure is awkward facing two other passengers...hahaha...it's bad enough that you are squeezed in the middle...

I'm guessing there is no recline?

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

If and when these proposals do come to fruition somehow, I hope there are seriously viable alternative(s) by then :)

I don't think the idea will get off the ground as the config requires FAA and EASA emergency evacuation clearance.

Each aircraft has maximum pax capacity. A330 has 440. Cebu Pacific packs 436 in their sardine can, how much they can fit it more?? Four more seats?

A330 combi. Pack all passengers in front and some cargo at the back.

Really "idiotic" design from Zodiac!

I won't say it is idiotic though. A bit too harsh.

Designers always explore new possibilities with any creativity......:)

Yes, but they must be a bit "clever" and they can't design if it's not possibility to being. Some of part in comments shows the most important point; safety and evacuation.....also cabin service would be negative affected by this seating scheme. There are also a few more negativity;

- comfort of flying direction; many people are discomfort about moving back seating, especially womans.

- passanger mood; would you like to fly with any stranger almost face to face a few centimeters away from your face? It is not like the same experience if any person who seated of your side seat becouse of, human eyes have an angle to view and you can not see any person who seated by yours. In this seating design, the head of middle seat person is forward of you eyes contact so always you want to turn your head for prevent to. The worst positioning would be when seat to move backward :)

- it would be affected turnaround time; cabin cleaning process would be much longer because of traditional seatings are allowed to cleaning stuff in freely. Mixed seating would be harder to cleaning (wasting time)

Creative design is not meaning to design whatever to having sudden to wish something to do!....This is "brain storming". Creative design must be "usefull" even not possible to product by existing technics.

........in my opinion ofcourse.......

Sign in to follow this