MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Singapore selects Airbus Defence and Space A330 MRTT Multi Role Tanker Transport

Singapore places firm order for six aircraft

Madrid, 07 March 2014

Airbus Defence and Space has been selected by Singapore to supply six A330 MRTT new generation air-to-air refuelling aircraft for the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF).

The aircraft will be delivered under the terms of a firm contract which has already been signed.

Singapore’s choice of the A330 MRTT makes it the sixth nation to select the type following Australia, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and the United Kingdom which have ordered a total of 28 aircraft, and India which is in the final stages of contractual negotiations for six aircraft. A total of 17 aircraft are currently in service with the first four nations.

The A330 MRTT is derived from the highly successful A330 commercial airliner and proven in-service as a tanker/transport with multi-role capability.

Airbus Defence and Space Head of Military Aircraft, Domingo Ureña Raso said: “We are greatly honoured by the selection of the A330 MRTT by Singapore. The decision confirms the A330 MRTT’s status as unquestionably the world’s most advanced tanker/transport aircraft as well as its pre-eminent suitability for the Asia-Pacific region.”

Malaysian Armed Forces have 10 C-130H,1 C-130MP and 4 KC-130T. All aircraft are to be upgraded. The 4 KC-130T is our air-to-air refueling transport, not getting any younger.

This article omut recently illustrating the urgent need to upgrade Malaysia air, land and sea defence systems: http://goo.gl/0uFVTS

Edited by JuliusWong

Malaysian Armed Forces have 10 C-130H,1 C-130MP and 4 KC-130T. All aircraft are to be upgraded. The 4 KC-130T is our air-to-air refueling transport, not getting any younger.

This article omut recently illustrating the urgent need to upgrade Malaysia air, land and sea defence systems: http://goo.gl/0uFVTS

And those contracts will carry inflated prices. Then, govt. will pass another Supplementary Bill to approve the acquisitions... ;)

Actually Malaysia can "engage" the Singaporeans to provide national defence. :)

After the MH370 incident, I think that the only credible air force in this region is the RSAF. I can imagine how they would handle the case had it occurred under their watch.

Actually, southeast Asian nations could consider pooling certain non-tactical resources instead of having their own. Transport planes, tankers and perhaps even trainers could be acquired in larger numbers, maintained in one place and placed at the disposal of the participating air forces.

That way, all enjoy economies of scale (both during the acquisition process and resulting in lower prices per unit and also during maintenance) and possibly closer relationship and better understanding during crisis. Frankly, there is no need to be suspicious of one another ... our people and our economies are so intertwined for us to consider going to war with one another and any threat to this region comes from terrorism or from hungry powers from outside (the latter is also quite unlikely).

Currently, I am certain that Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia knows exactly what everyone has where ...

I therefore agree in essence with what Waiping said about "engaging" the Singaporeans but prefer to widen it to a bigger pool of nations to ease any suspicion some may have and enjoy greater economies of scale. My thoughts perhaps make me a dreamer ... but it was nice as I was dreaming it.

RSAF too has its very elderly C-130 tankers and slightly less elderly KC-135s ... and it would be nice to see the sleek shape of the A330MRTT gracing our skies over Changi ... but I will surely miss the KC-135s. It is always a reminder how much I love the B707s/B720s that I saw in my days as a kid - MSA, Air India, MAS, SIA, British Airtours, China Airlines, Air Ceylon, Jugoslovenski Aerotransport - JAT, PIA, Biman, Tarom, Cathay Pacific and later, even Air Zimbabwe, Swazi Air Cargo.

Back to reality, I hope that in the aftermath of this crisis relating to MH370, the air forces and navies in the region engage one another in joint SAR exercises. Let not the 239 souls onboard MH370 perish in vain.

KC Sim

does RSAF really need 6 A330 MRTTs for its small island state? But am sure it is primarily use for transporting its RSAFcargo and men to support its many overseas air force training centres from Pearce in Aust to Germany to US etc. It didnt mention about retiring its existing 6 KC-135s too. RSAF have the best and modern and well mantained air force in SE Asia.

does RSAF really need 6 A330 MRTTs for its small island state? But am sure it is primarily use for transporting its RSAFcargo and men to support its many overseas air force training centres from Pearce in Aust to Germany to US etc. It didnt mention about retiring its existing 6 KC-135s too. RSAF have the best and modern and well mantained air force in SE Asia.

When you have the strongest currency there is endless possibilities. :p

yes SIN have strong currency and savings and spends like 10% of their GNP on defence to the tune of S$12 Billion a year - which is almost 3 times what Malaysia spends on. But even given in the event Malaysia too want to keep up with joneses evenif its in a deficit; thekey to RSAF and the SAF is that their procurement and feasibilty studies are very professionally done and without any hanky panky business as the military contracts are negotiated directly govt to govt - unlike Malaysia where strangely its done even through 3rd party arms dealers or through agencies. And the SAF knows how to buy such defence hardware; unlike here with no commonality and split even with Russian made hardware and which is frought with issues of maintenance and spares - and haveread and even RMAF had publicly mention some time back that half of its russian jets are inoperative! Andwe also have bought submarines that are not fully equipped with sonars - as mentioned last few days by Minister of Defence and why these subs are not used inthe search for MH 370!

RSAF is keeping their retaliatory assets outside the country. Hence, the need of tankers.

Retaliatory assets?

The military hardware based outside of Singapore (in the US, Cazaux in France, in Brunei, in Australia etc) are all for training purposes. We do not have the airspace and land for the necessary training ... within a minute after take-off, our planes are either in Malaysian or Indonesian airspace.

I don't think you could consider what we have in all those foreign bases as retaliatory ... has anything been used to retaliate against any country?

KC Sim

So what proportion of the SG military hardware is based offshore then ?

Realize though this would be at best a wild guesstimate, seeing how anything military is held in the highest confidentiality mode :)

Retaliatory assets?

The military hardware based outside of Singapore (in the US, Cazaux in France, in Brunei, in Australia etc) are all for training purposes. We do not have the airspace and land for the necessary training ... within a minute after take-off, our planes are either in Malaysian or Indonesian airspace.

I don't think you could consider what we have in all those foreign bases as retaliatory ... has anything been used to retaliate against any country?

KC Sim

Perhaps RSAF offensive munition (e.g. ground attack) stockpile locations could give us a pointer.

Sign in to follow this