MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Van Straten

YOU Wings aka Flying Fox Airways

I think Mr Van Straten is right. They don't have an AOC. I believe Flying Fox Airways is using Sri Wijaya Air's AOC as they're flying out of Medan to Ipoh vice versa. They too are using Sri Wijaya's aircraft and Registration. All bookings are made through Sri Wijaya Air's website. Even till now the Flying Fox Airways website: www.flyingfox.com.my is still under construction.

NOTAM stated that heavy aircrafts prohibited from 29th Nov till 31th Dec 2013 (estimated). They should able to fly in after that.

Surprisingly heavyweight Russian - IL-76 (50 tonne) aircraft was allowed to land in IPH before that.

Refer link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=213632722118484&set=a.197783013703455.1073741828.115021711979586&type=1&theater

and https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=129765450505212&set=a.197783013703455.1073741828.115021711979586&type=1&theater

Airline changes name as part of rebranding exercise

FLYING Fox Airways has changed its name to You Wings after a company restructuring.

Its chief executive officer Daniel Lee said new partners and investors had been brought in as a means of rebranding itself as well as to create a new image for its customers.

“Hopefully, the runway problem at the Sultan Azlan Shah Airport can be resolved by the year end and You Wings will be able to commence its Ipoh-Medan flights,” Lee said during a familiarisation dinner for travel agents from Medan, Indonesia, in Ipoh last Saturday.

It was reported last December that the Civil Aviation Department (DCA) had disallowed Flying Fox Airways from landing its Boeing 737-400 planes at the airport in Ipoh after sinkholes were found on the runway.

This came after the airport had undergone refurbishment works costing about RM37.4mil between April 2011 and November 2012, which included the extension of the 1,789m runway by another 200m to accommodate larger aircraft.

In the meantime, Lee said You Wings was in discussion with bus companies to provide shuttle services between Ipoh and Penang for those taking flights operated by its partner airline, Sriwijaya Air.

The Indonesian airline is currently offering daily flights between Penang and Medan.

“Our mission is to bring in more tourists and to offer a hassle-free way for our customers to travel in and out of Malaysia,” said Lee.

State Tourism Committee chairman Datuk Nolee Ashilin Mohd Radzi, who was also present, said the state government was working on a solution while working on developing strategic ways to complete the runway as soon as possible.

“We don’t want the problem to be a hindrance to the industry players when promoting Perak,” she said.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Community/2014/05/29/Giving-you-wings-Airline-changes-name-as-part-of-rebranding-exercise/

From www.youwings.com

"As an operator of Sriwijaya Air, the third largest airline in Indonesia, YOU Wings will be taking on the operations of the Penang – Medan route currently flying daily flights.

YOU Wings will also be expanding to include Ipoh once runway maintenance is complete, Terengganu, Dhaka, Shenzhen and Guangzhou in the near future with Medan serving as our second base.

Our aim is for our flight frequency to be increased to daily flights and our international destinations to be expanded to include Thailand, Singapore, China, Macau, Japan and Australia.

When our new destinations are launched, customers will be able to buy tickets from our travel agent partners with the option of fully-inclusive tailored packages or online through our website.

With new destinations developing YOU Wings is your access to the world!"

Well you can't deny they are ambitious, but I don't see Ipoh-Terengganu as a viable route with a B737. The time when there are daily flights from Ipoh to Australia I think will be a long time coming!

Geoff

IPH-PER is doable. ;)

IPH-PER would take about 6 hrs which is very tight for B738 especially when you consider the alternate airport. For B738 operations, MAS has nominated Geraldton (GET YGEL) which is 320km away. If the payload is light, it should be ok but will it turn into profits

IPH-PER is doable. ;)

Maybe so, but I think may necessitate quite a bit of doa (prayers) for it to be commercially sustaining :)

Sign in to follow this