MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

MPs highlight how MAS wastes money

Let's play a little game here: spot how many inane remarks there are in this story. :blink:

.ny

+++

The Star

Tuesday March 21, 2006

MPs highlight how MAS wastes money

MALAYSIA Airlines’ purported wastage was highlighted by several MPs yesterday with one alleging that the real cost of a plate of nasi lemak was RM60 while tea cost RM15.

Another claimed that the national carrier spent huge sums of money on imported paper for its tickets while AirAsia used thermal paper which cost only a few sen.

Datuk Suho Abdul Rahman (BN – Labuan) said MAS incurred huge debts because of the way things were run, including its high catering and operations costs and overstaffing.

“On MAS, the cost of a plate of nasi lemak is RM60 while coffee and tea is about RM15. There is also wastage of meals.

“The top management including the chairman and board of directors should go. I’m willing to bet that if MAS reduces its operations costs, it can compete with AirAsia and garner profit,” Suho said in debating the motion of thanks to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong’s address.

Datuk Mohd Alwi Che Ahmad (BN – Ketereh) said MAS wasted money by importing its ticket papers which cost US$5 (RM19) to print compared with AirAsia’s thermal tickets which cost a few sen.

Datuk Ronald Kiandee (BN – Beluran) said over 2,000 passengers would be inconvenienced if MAS stopped flying to destinations in Sabah and Sarawak.

Datuk Idris Haron (BN – Tangga Batu) said AirAsia’s staff were overworked, with some working up to 10 or 15 hours a day.

“The staff also did not want to lose out on the RM500 productivity incentive which they’ll get if they don’t take more than two days off in a month,” he added.

Salahudin Ayub (PAS – Kubang Kerian) said one could expect MAS, which lost RM1.5bil last year, to suffer a loss of RM2bil this year, despite having a new managing director (Idris Jala).

Datuk Abdul Halim Abdul Rahman (PAS – Pengkalan Chepa) suggested that AirAsia chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes be appointed MAS CEO.

“Foreign investors were investing in AirAsia,” he added.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...&sec=parliament

suggested that AirAsia chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes be appointed MAS CEO.

No can't do........................Tony don't want to go to MAS if MAS pay him high because he is AirAsian :) .Don't wanna see MAS being a low cost either.

alleging that the real cost of a plate of nasi lemak was RM60 while tea cost RM15.

How come that expensive! I flew them and eat the nasi lemak which I don't finish-means I wasted 60 bucks :blink:

MAS wasted money by importing its ticket papers which cost US$5 (RM19) to print compared with AirAsia’s thermal tickets which cost a few sen

What to worry? Next two years, when they use e-ticket, don't even need paper, the passengers print the ticket use their own paper. ;)

What a lot of waste MAS had done :rolleyes:

You are in great form, Seth! Btw, I come from Ketereh, whose learned MP likes to compare papers. :lol:

.ny

How come that expensive! I flew them and eat the nasi lemak which I don't finish-means I wasted 60 bucks :blink:

The actual nasi lemak cost a bit only. MAS pays 60 not pax pay 60. They pay to caterring company who happens to be .....

Hey, I found more goodies!

.ny

+++

Bernama

March 21, 2006 22:23 PM

MPs Question AirAsia's Commitment To Nation's Interest

KUALA LUMPUR, March 21 (Bernama) -- Members of Parliament (MPs), Tuesday questioned AirAsia's commitment in fulfilling its responsibility to the nation since the Low Cost Carrier (LCC) was only interested in profit.

During the debate on the motion of thanks for the Royal Address in the Dewan Rakyat, Tuesday, they raised the issue of distribution of domestic routes to Malaysia Airlines (MAS) and AirAsia, and asked the government to review its decision.

Datuk Paduka Badruddin Amiruldin (BN-Jerai) said it was not impossible that AirAsia might sell the company to foreigners some day if it were to experience losses.

"When this happens, problems will arise as AirAsia not only controls domestic flights but also has at its disposal a Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) provided by the government.

"When AirAsia is owned by foreigners, what are we going to say? We have already provided the facilities," he said.

In addition, he said, AirAsia behaved like a village taxi which only commenced its journey when it had a full load and was not tied down with social responsibilities like MAS.

He was supported by Datuk Mahadzir Mohd Khir (BN-Sungai Petani) who said AirAsia was not like MAS which had social responsibilities as a national carrier.

"I am worried that AirAsia, if it runs into cashflow problem, will collude with Singapore and ask the latter to take over our domestic routes as the company only seeks profits," he said.

Lau Yeng Peng (BN-Puchong) suggested that the government ask AirAsia to focus only on regional routes and leave domestic flights to MAS.

"Now AirAsia is focusing on taking over profitable local routes," he said.

The issue of Malaysia-Singapore relations was also a subject of heated debate with several backbenchers and opposition MPs voicing their anger over the attitude of the republic's leaders who they described as bad neighbours.

Datuk Bung Moktar Radin (BN-Kinabatangan) said Singapore was a neighbour which was "kurang ajar" (ill-bred) for trying to fool around with Malaysia on outstanding issues between the two countries. "The government must defend Malaysia's sovereignty. Don't let ourselves be belittled by others," he said.

Badruddin said it was time for Malaysia to be firm with the city-state and not simply follow its dictates.

"They want water, we give water...they want durian, we give durian...they want durian without the skin, we give and throw the skin in Johor. Enough is enough.

"They were once part of Malaysia. Now they want to teach us. If we keep entertaining them we will end up the losers," he said.

Datuk Abdul Halim Abdul Rahman (PAS-Pengkalan Chepa) suggested to Bung Moktar to table an emergency motion to prevent the government from selling sand to Singapore and allowing the neighbour's jet fighters to use Malaysian airspace.

Bung Moktar replied that his responsibility as an MP was to admonish the government when there were matters the people were unhappy about but not to warn it.

Hamim Samuri (BN-Ledang) said the building of a new bridge to replace the existing causeway involved national pride and it should proceed.

The government, he said, should not bow to the selfish demands of Singapore.

"It does not matter if the bridge is crooked or straight, we have decided to build it. We should go ahead with our decision," he said.

Datuk Mohamed Aziz (BN-Sri Gading) said the question of selling sand or opening Malaysia's airspace did not arise after Malaysia decided it would proceed with a crooked bridge, now called the "scenic bridge".

"We want to tell the government, there is no need to think any more.

"We just go ahead with the crooked bridge, no need to worry about whether we have to sell sand or open up our airspace as the conditions set by Singapore are for a straight bridge," he said.

The Dewan will sit again, Wednesday.

-- BERNAMA

As it involves politicians, I suggest we allow Keith T first right to comment - should be refreshingly insightful !! :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately I don't know much about the specifics of Malaysian politics.

Singapore was a neighbour which was "kurang ajar" (ill-bred) for trying to fool around with Malaysia

What the heck Singapore think of Malaysia, a piggy dog- Malaysian try to make better bridge connecting two coasts and there Singaporean want demand+s. Let see, what happen if Mas continue on the bridge to Sin, both country economy boost and to meet that goal, Mas has to sacrifice something. Well, Sin will eventually get Bridge+airspace+sand and Mas GET BRIDGE only :angry:

Say no to Singapore :)

Unfortunately I don't know much about the specifics of Malaysian politics.

:D Heck, don't let that stop you ! :D

Read some of what Malaysian politicians have to say about MH/aviation, they seem to know nuts. Likewise, your lack of proficiency in Malaysian politics should not deter you from commenting on Malaysian politics :p

And here, we are not even debating in a legislative assembly !! :rolleyes:

Datuk Abdul Halim Abdul Rahman (PAS – Pengkalan Chepa) suggested that AirAsia chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes be appointed MAS CEO.

LOL..... the politicians won't let a non-Malay or non-bumi to head the NATIONAL airline.

Read some of what Malaysian politicians have to say about MH/aviation, they seem to know nuts. Likewise, your lack of proficiency in Malaysian politics should not deter you from commenting on Malaysian politics

And here, we are not even debating in a legislative assembly !!

Here are some shortcuts and keywords : - Corruption, Nepotism and Racism! :)

Hey, I found more goodies!

In addition, he said, AirAsia behaved like a village taxi which only commenced its journey when it had a full load and was not tied down with social responsibilities like MAS.

"had a full load" ??? check the link below and see for yourself - in the eyes of the politicians, no doubt, this flight should have been cancelled :blink:

http://www.flugzeugbilder.de/show.php?id=462520

LOL..... the politicians won't let a non-Malay or non-bumi to head the NATIONAL airline.

Here are some shortcuts and keywords : - Corruption, Nepotism and Racism! :)

Unfortunately those same words would describe the conservative Howard government - Corruption (AWB scandal), nepotism (look at who's who in Australia's ambassadors overseas), racism (the anti-Muslim rhetoric and their appalling treatment of refugees). Oh and not to mention sexism and homophobia too!

....MALAYSIA Airlines’ purported wastage was highlighted by several MPs yesterday with one alleging that the real cost of a plate of nasi lemak was RM60 while tea cost RM15.

RM60 per serve??? patutlah begitu sedap... :lol: :lol:

This RM60 nasi lemak issue - one wonders if the figure quoted could possibly be something the bean counters have worked out, ie. inclusive of handling charges, personnel to serve to pax, extra freight on board etc, etc ... Perhaps not what the caterer invoices MH for ? But then, we are in Boleh-land after all !

This is not a new issue, only that it has never been seriously looked into. As I've been saying many many times, look into this problem and losses will be minimized.

This is not a new issue, only that it has never been seriously looked into. As I've been saying many many times, look into this problem and losses will be minimized.

Probably everyone at the management level is guilty of something along when riding on the gravy train. Perhaps it is better to keep one eye opened and the other one closed!

Unfortunately those same words would describe the conservative Howard government - Corruption (AWB scandal), nepotism (look at who's who in Australia's ambassadors overseas), racism (the anti-Muslim rhetoric and their appalling treatment of refugees). Oh and not to mention sexism and homophobia too!

Sorry Keith, saw your reply just today.

I guess all governments are like that. The way I see it is that, there is a clearer or more serious cases of corruption, nepotism and racism in Malaysia than in Australia.

Corruption is a common thing around Asia as Asia develops. China is now a hugely corrupted country and the last biggest corruption had caused the Qing dynasty to give way to the Republicans and even the Republican government is a corrupted one as well, so it gave way to Chairman Mao and his poor comrades. Eventhough the Malaysian government is trying to rectify corruption, it is not an easy thing especially with personal relations and powerful figures involved.

Yup, Sexism and homophobia exists pretty much around Asia and it is more serious than the West, I think. If you are gay and people will look at you in a different light, but over here in NZ, it is much more mild - since the general attitude is none of my bloody business if he's gay.

Women in Asia does not have the equivalent position than their Western counterpart. Take Japan for example, the only "first world" country in Asia on par with the West, women do not enjoy the same position as men. It will be interesting to see if they eventually approved the bill for allowing the oldest female Princess Aiko to ascend to the throne.

Keith, I think it is fair how the Howard government handles the refugee cases, despite the fact that he is not in my favourite list. The NZ Labour government's decision is a short sighted one for accepting those refugee Australia didn't want. Once given a chance to allow them to land, more will follow suit. Either you have the policy to "kill one person to warn the rest not to repeat the same thing" or you allow them to all flood in and see Australia or NZ as an easy targets. This is the decision you have to make. These people do think they will be able to outsmart any government and they will gamble their life for it. If you have been to South Auckland, I bet you, you wouldn't even think that is NZ. Gang fights, crimes, homicides, poverty and umemployment. Heavily relying on social welfare. It is hard to bring these people from third world up to speed and it will cost a great deal of money. There is already a sizeable umemployment figure in NZ, more of these people will encourage more unemployment rate.

Personal tax rate in NZ is heavy, 34% up from $38,000 p.a. although nowhere as near as Australia (39% easily) , but I would rather see my tax rate descrease than increase for paying off these people. Our social welfare system is a fragile one, one day it will be overloaded. There is a limit to what we can give and it is never enough once we decided to open up our limits.

Sign in to follow this