MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Fairul

Batavia Airlines ceases operation effective immediately

Yes, and they got insight of Y6's operations during their takeover due dilligence exercise. So they should know which of their routes are the best to go for. With an additional 9 new aircraft scheduled to be added to QZ's fleet, they are in a good position to add more domestic routes to their already good international network.

I wonder what's the faith of the employees of Y6. Pity them losing their jobs like that, I do hope QZ would consider taking them over.

I wonder what's the faith of the employees of Y6. Pity them losing their jobs like that, I do hope QZ would consider taking them over.

Not likely as it is now a big mess. Plus bankruptcy proceedings will mean that the courts are involved too. So it will take up a lot of time. QZ are better off growing organically.

Not likely as it is now a big mess. Plus bankruptcy proceedings will mean that the courts are involved too. So it will take up a lot of time. QZ are better off growing organically.

Aviation industry seems fun but it's really pity to lose jobs... more pilots got stuck on the ground then...

Aviation industry seems fun but it's really pity to lose jobs... more pilots got stuck on the ground then...

With GA, AE, QZ all growing aggressively this year, I think those who lost their jobs should be able to secure a position somewhere else. Unfortunately in business, only the strong survive.

With GA, AE, QZ all growing aggressively this year, I think those who lost their jobs should be able to secure a position somewhere else. Unfortunately in business, only the strong survive.

Lesson learnt, and always update your resume :p Unless you're working in a Malaysia's GLC. Like MH...

Edited by Mike P

Lesson learnt, and always update your resume :p Unless you're working in a Malaysia's GLC. Like MH...

Always update your resume regardless of where you are now.

Mandala, Indonesia AirAsia and Citilink to benefit most from Batavia bankruptcy

Indonesia AirAsia and Mandala are also keen to fill some of the void left by Batavia as both carriers were already planning to pursue significant domestic expansion in 2013 - from a low base. Indonesia AirAsia currently only has about a 4% share of domestic capacity while Mandala has about 1%.
Indonesia AirAsia has already more than doubled its domestic capacity over the last year. A large chunk of the expansion occurred in 4Q2012 as the carrier added six domestic routes (Medan to Pekanbaru to Banda Aceh; Surabaya to Semarang and Jakarta; and Ujung Pandang to Balikpapan and Jakarta) as its fleet expanded from 19 to 22 A320s.
Indonesia AirAsia is planning an even bigger push in the domestic market in 2013 as its fleet expands from to a planned 32 A320s. As Indonesia AirAsia currently only competes on one of Batavia’s largest 10 domestic routes, Jakarta-Surabaya, the carrier will likely look to prioritise its domestic expansion to focus on former Batavia routes.
Almost all of Indonesia AirAsia’s near to medium term expansion will be dedicated to the domestic market after the AirAsia Group determined it needs to be a bigger player in Southeast Asia’s largest domestic market if it is to meet its ambition of being the largest LCC group in ASEAN. Indonesia AirAsia had previously focused more on the international market. It is - perhaps surprisingly - the largest international carrier in Indonesia based on passengers carried, ahead of Garuda, and currently allocates almost 60% of its seat capacity to the international market.

Batavia Air grounded for good

KUCHING: It is a sign of closure — literally.

Displayed at Batavia Air’s office, where the neon lights have been turned off, at Kuching International Airport (KIA) here is a sign that reads: “Closed”.

Next to the sign, printed on an A4-sized paper, were instructions for ticket refunds. The address and telephone number listed were based in Jakarta.

Inside Batavia Air’s office here yesterday were about half a dozen staff.

Despite the closed sign, the door was unlocked. The staff were friendly but they declined to be interviewed.

“We’ve not been told anything. We can’t speak. We’re so sorry. There’s a notice outside,” said one manager.

Sarawak Tourism Federation (STF) president Audry Wan Ullok told The Star it was with “great regret” that the industry accepted the news.

“I was in Indonesia on a visit with Sarawak tourism officials when the news came,” Audry said on Sunday at KIA.

“I don’t know what to say really. It’s just sad because now we have one less airline that flies into Sarawak.”

Batavia Air was an important link for the development of medical tourism for Sarawak, the federation chief said.

“Batavia Air gave us an edge over Sabah in terms of getting sick people to come to our hospitals in Kuching. Batavia Air could better accommodate sick people, including those on stretchers.”

MASwings, which flies daily to Pontianak, does not accommodate stretchers. (A MASwings official told The Star that the service was temporarily not available because the installation of stretchers would take two hours onboard its aircraft.)

“They closed because they were running at a loss,” said Samuel Chung, managing director of Straits Central Travel and Tour Agencies, which was the exclusive agent for Batavia Air in Sarawak for almost a decade.

“At its peak, Batavia’s Kuching-Pontianak flight was about 50% to 60% full. But then MASwings began the same route in April last year and Batavia’s load for that route dropped to between 20% and 40%.”

Chung said Batavia Air also suffered from increased competition from Pontianak- based operators.

“Right now, there are five airlines flying Pontianak-Jakarta. Batavia just could not keep up. There’s a lot of options, including those between Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta.”

Chung said it was unclear if all Batavia Air ticket holders would get their refunds.

“As a travel agent, I had a deposit of about RM3,000 with Batavia too.

“I’m also not sure if I can get it back.”

With Batavia Air gone from KIA, just five other airlines utilise the state capital’s airport namely, Malaysia Airlines (MAS), MASwings, AirAsia, Silk Air and Tiger Air.

Jetstar pulled out of KIA around the time when Tiger Air launched its Kuching-Singapore route while Firefly ceased operations to Sarawak and Sabah about a year ago.

Batavia Air used to fly three weekly flights from here to Pontianak and onwards to Jakarta.

In the middle of last week, Indonesia’s commercial court declared budget carrier Batavia Air bankrupt just months after AirAsia aborted a deal to invest in it, reported the Associated Press.

The Jakarta Commercial Court declared the company bankrupt after Batavia Air failed to pay a US$4.7mil debt. Flights stopped just after midnight last Thursday, the Associated Press said.

The airline began in 2002, and at its peak, flew to 48 destinations. Six destinations were international routes, including its stop at KIA. The airline also flew to Singapore and destinations in China, including Guangzhou.

According to the Jakarta Globe, passengers who purchased tickets with Batavia Air before the budget carrier declared bankruptcy and shut down last week, would still be able to use them after three airlines agreed to take over 20 of Batavia’s 42 routes.

The Indonesian newspaper said Citilink, a low-cost airline of national carrier Garuda Indonesia, was set to take over 14 routes. Mandala Airlines and Express Air would take over another six routes.

Although it is unclear at the moment, it seems routes to Pontianak would be undertaken by Express Air.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/2/5/sarawak/12669766&sec=sarawak

“Batavia Air gave us an edge over Sabah in terms of getting sick people to come to our hospitals in Kuching. Batavia Air could better accommodate sick people, including those on stretchers.”
Sick people? Can't thisd10t find a more appropriate word? No wonder tourism in Sarawak is koyak.
Edited by alberttky

Sick people? Can't thisd10t find a more appropriate word? No wonder tourism in Sarawak is koyak.

Sounds ironic and sarcastic to me, why using Sabah as benchmark? Because of the recent allegation of illegal immigrants in Sabah getting the MyKad easily? So saying Sarawak is getting more sick people while Sabah is getting more illegal immigrants? That's really a big laugh!

And why they keep missing out KalStar Aviation?

The people we entrust with our future...haiya..

This guy ought to attend your classes once in a while...

I guess what that guy meant is 'Batavia Air promotes Sarawak health/medical tourism to the Indonesian in Kalimantan'. 'Medical Tourism' is more appropriate word than 'sick people'.

Exactly! Many of these medical tourists are perfectly healthy and they go to Sarawak for their periodic medical checkup. That jerk makes it sounds like Batavia sends in planeloads of sick people into the state. They need to fire the PR team.

If he had done his homework, he will have noticed that Kota Kinabalu and her hospitals (public and private) have been struggling to meet local residents needs over last few years capacity wise - certainly would not pose as competition to Kuching's many facilities :)

“They closed because they were running at a loss,” said Samuel Chung, managing director of Straits Central Travel and Tour Agencies, which was the exclusive agent for Batavia Air in Sarawak for almost a decade.
“At its peak, Batavia’s Kuching-Pontianak flight was about 50% to 60% full. But then MASwings began the same route in April last year and Batavia’s load for that route dropped to between 20% and 40%.”

If even at peak load was running at 60%, it's no wonder they were running at a loss, regardless of MASwings, I reckon :D

Sign in to follow this