MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Pilots in Sarawak, Sabah claim airline prejudiced in recruitment

KUCHING: Alleged lopsided recruitment procedure by an airline company is said to have deprived a sizeable number of qualified pilots from Sarawak and Sabah of job opportunity.

The pilots and their parents are said to be deeply disappointed with the manner the airline conduct its recruitment exercise as well as selection of suitable applicants.

According to sources, the airline would always give priority to applicants from Peninsular Malaysia.

“Even if the jobs available are more appropriately taken up by applicants from either Sarawak or Sabah because they concern servicing the routes within the two states, they would still be given to applicants from the peninsula,” the source, who requested not to be named, added.

The source, in exposing this yesterday, said the Government needed to know this because those pilots from both states had been deprived of the job opportunities in their homeland.

They claimed the vacancies were never advertised in the media and that the interviewees (applicants) were those called up by the officer in-charge to attend the interview.

“By right those jobs should be given to Sabahans and Sarawakians especially in Sarawak where those from Peninsular Malaysia are required to obtain work permits in order to work,” he said.

According to the source, to date they are no fewer than 40 qualified pilots from the two states who remained unemployed.

“Their parents are angry because they have spent so much money to send them to flying schools. Some (of the parents) even withdrew their life savings while others took study loans or even mortgaged their properties to finance their children’s education,” the source said.

The source then urged the Govern-ment to seriously look into the matter so as not to continually deprive qualified pilots from Sarawak and Sabah of the jobs they deserved.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/1/29/sarawak/12638414&sec=sarawak

I believe these allegations goes to MASwings. And I also believe that this is just a remote case, because MASwings always have a healthy percentage of locals within their Flight Crew..

Another politic issue... this is our the GLC runs their business here... unlike our advanced nation Singapore, they would just take anyone who could prove themselves worthy.

Another politic issue... this is our the GLC runs their business here... unlike our advanced nation Singapore, they would just take anyone who could prove themselves worthy.

Where locals lose out

Where locals lose out

I don't totally agree on that. Yes, the locals might lose out but we could never improve ourselves and always lose out to other nations. Are we going to let other countries to emulate us any sooner? I guess not.

Some people might not agree with me, but I find that some East Malaysia locals' attitude are insular, thinking they always lose out to their peninsular counterparts. They don't push themselves enough.

Some people might not agree with me, but I find that some East Malaysia locals' attitude are insular, thinking they always lose out to their peninsular counterparts. They don't push themselves enough.

Agree... It may be less now but there are still East Malaysians who look up to those from peninsular, thinking that they are better. It's their prejudice against themselves. So as a result, their peninsular counterparts can score jobs or climb up the ladder easier.

I think it "generally" applies to those that are still in East Malaysia. Those that think they are capable or better are out of the state / island / country, and most of them don't go back at all or until retirement. Me and my siblings included.

FYI Captain Robert Ting, Chief Pilot A380 at SIA is Sarawakian.

Disagree. Worked in Sarawak a few years in a govt sector. Suffice to say I was much more happy there compared to KL - level of service, communication, etc. Truly proud of my Sarawakian counterparts.

Edited by V Wong

I don't totally agree on that. Yes, the locals might lose out but we could never improve ourselves and always lose out to other nations. Are we going to let other countries to emulate us any sooner? I guess not.

Its the right and priviledge as a citizen of a country (locals) rather, to have the first choice in getting employment and other benefits, eg 1 local 1 foreigner same qualification local should get first and down the list, foreigner shouldnt be allowed to compete at ll in rhe first place, thats the benefit and right of every citizen, no guarantee foreigners give better value or help our nation to progress, if they do, by how? Maybe true in the old days but this day and time locals are equally good or equally bad. Of cos if we are talking about not eough workers then thats a different story. Sometimes a company has to be fair by being not fair Edited by Aaron Goh

Its the right and priviledge as a citizen of a country (locals) rather, to have the first choice in getting employment and other benefits, eg 1 local 1 foreigner same qualification local should get first and down the list, foreigner shouldnt be allowed to compete at ll in rhe first place, thats the benefit and right of every citizen, no guarantee foreigners give better value or help our nation to progress, if they do, by how? Maybe true in the old days but this day and time locals are equally good or equally bad. Of cos if we are talking about not eough workers then thats a different story. Sometimes a company has to be fair by being not fair

Well, probably you are right. Similar to the Bumiputra rights and benefits where they will be prioritised for jobs and education than non bumiputra.

Sign in to follow this