MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Air New Zealand to drop Hong Kong to London service

Air New Zealand (ANZ) will withdraw services between Hong Kong and London from March 4, 2013, while it has agreed a new strategic partnership with Cathay Pacific in a seperate announcement.

There was speculation in January that the Kiwi carrier would drop its long-haul London services (see online news January 25) but it has confirmed there will be no changes to the daily London – Los Angeles – Auckland service.

Rob Fyfe, chief executive officer at ANZ, says extra capacity may be freed up for the popular North American services following the decision to drop Hong Kong-London. ANZ has recently opened a new Star Alliance lounge in the Tom Bradley international terminal at LAX (see online news July 30).

Fyfe says a comprehensive review of the Hong Kong – London service confirmed that the route would not become profitable in the foreseeable future. It is expected that around 70 London based cabin crew jobs will be cut as a result of this decision.

In a separate move the airline has formed a strategic agreement with Cathay Pacific on the Auckland – Hong Kong route, effective from December 12. This will see the two carriers codeshare on existing Auckland and Hong Kong services, while also providing ANZ passengers with connections to mainland China and beyond.

"At the same time, we wanted to strengthen our presence in Hong Kong which is an important market and vital gateway into mainland China for Air New Zealand. In line with this we have received approval from the New Zealand Ministry of Transport to form a strategic agreement with Cathay Pacific effective from December 12, 2012,” says Fyfe.

Air New Zealand customers will now earn Airpoints Dollars on Cathay Pacific flights between Auckland and Hong Kong, and Airpoints and Koru members travelling on Air New Zealand flight numbers will receive lounge access and premium customer benefits on this route, with Marco Polo Club members enjoying reciprocal benefits.

Around 8,000 customers currently holding tickets to travel between Hong Kong and London from March 4 will be contacted by the carrier and re-booked, in most cases onto Cathay Pacific’s services.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/air-new-zealand-to-drop-hong-kong-to-london-ser

So with this decision there's no airline flying round the world anymore eh?

Not surprised. Air NZ is not as good as they claimed to be, from personal experience.

They have ceased flying into SIN and BKK. Perhaps they may stop flying into PVG and PEK in the near future.

Guess their HK based staff will be made redundant too?

Edited by S V Choong

they will drop the HKG-LHR route but will still maintain the AKL-HKG route right?

"In a separate move the airline has formed a strategic agreement with Cathay Pacific on the Auckland – Hong Kong route, effective from December 12. This will see the two carriers codeshare on existing Auckland and Hong Kong services, while also providing ANZ passengers with connections to mainland China and beyond."

It looks like ANZ is realigning its route network to focus on Asia Pacific - the growth region. I think that next year will be a very good year for travellers in this region as the competition amongst airlines hots up!

They have ceased flying into SIN and BKK. Perhaps they may stop flying into PVG and PEK in the near future.

Yes, they don't fly to Singapore and Bangkok. They have actually already ditched Beijing. They still fly to Shanghai.

they will drop the HKG-LHR route but will still maintain the AKL-HKG route right?

Correct. NZ will still operate Auckland - Hong Kong.

Correct. NZ will still operate Auckland - Hong Kong.

How does this work? Does it mean they will use their own metal to HKG and that CX will still use their own metal to AKL?

Looking at most of NZ's Asian code share:

AKL - NRT/ KIX codeshare with JL = using NZ metal

AKL - SIN codeshare with SQ = using SQ metal

AKL - BKK codeshare with TG = using TG metal

How does this work? Does it mean they will use their own metal to HKG and that CX will still use their own metal to AKL?

Yes. Both Air New Zealand and Cathay Pacific will continue to fly the Auckland to Hong Kong route.

David...

Looking at most of NZ's Asian code share:

AKL - NRT/ KIX codeshare with JL = using NZ metal

AKL - SIN codeshare with SQ = using SQ metal

AKL - BKK codeshare with TG = using TG metal

MH codeshares with SQ and MI on KUL-SIN route and all 3 carriers operating on the route using their own metals.... anything weird about that?

MH codeshares with SQ and MI on KUL-SIN route and all 3 carriers operating on the route using their own metals.... anything weird about that?

Nope nothing wrong. Merely wanted to find out how they are going to code share, whether it involves using metal from one party solely or using both, as I know about the history of their codeshare that's all.

Guest Michael

I was reading MH want 4 dailies to LHR once they have the next 2 A388 so they can take those slots so that way MH can stand out.

Nope nothing wrong. Merely wanted to find out how they are going to code share, whether it involves using metal from one party solely or using both, as I know about the history of their codeshare that's all.

seriously, when u replied my question with quotation from the article, i thought u confirmed me that ANZ will still retain HKG.. :lol:

seriously, when u replied my question with quotation from the article, i thought u confirmed me that ANZ will still retain HKG.. :lol:

Well I don't know even when I quoted you, I can only read between the lines. It only talks about codeshare but never talked about using whose metal, because base on Air NZ's codeshare history with other airlines, it often means it will use one party's aircraft rather than both. I just wanted to find out more. :)

I was reading MH want 4 dailies to LHR once they have the next 2 A388 so they can take those slots so that way MH can stand out.

O/T bro... :)

Edited by S V Choong

Good day from Kiwiland..

I think ANZ is planning to fly to Mumbai and New Delhi as they have finally realised it has a big market. I think they are also planning to fly to another European city- Frankfurt is I am not mistaken. Many years ago ANZ use to operate their own metal to Frankfurt via LAX.

ANZ is also planning to fly to Singapore/KL/Bangkok.. I think KLIA is trying to woo them to fly into KL.

And also another stop will be MiddleEast- Maybe Abu Dhabi or Dubai!!

Its all depends on when they r getting their 787 and whether 777-300er/777-200er has got capacity.

Guest Michael

I say give MH the extra slots it is the best way to use the spares up. O/T means over time so I will be patient then.

Edited by masbmike82

I say give MH the extra slots it is the best way to use the spares up. O/T means over time so I will be patient then.

I'm guessing SV meant 'off topic' rather than ...... :)

Which doesn't sound too way off, since you appear to be responding in this thread to a discussion on another thread http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7280&st=2560

Incidentally, slots at LHR are pretty hard to come by nowadays due to physical constraints at said airport

I understand not something that is easily given away, even when giver wants to give

Perhaps we go discuss this at the more appropriate thread ? :)

I'm guessing SV meant 'off topic' rather than ...... :)

Which doesn't sound too way off, since you appear to be responding in this thread to a discussion on another thread http://www.malaysian...ic=7280&st=2560

Incidentally, slots at LHR are pretty hard to come by nowadays due to physical constraints at said airport

I understand not something that is easily given away, even when giver wants to give

Perhaps we go discuss this at the more appropriate thread ? :)

Yes, spot on BC. Please, please, please.... I hope not every thread becomes an opportunity to help the troubled national carrier or the "Lets do MAS a favor kind of thread". ie. Lets give the Air NZ slots to MAS!

Even if Air NZ is not utilising their HKG to LHR slots, it can easily transferred across to their AKL-LAX-LHR sectors by increasing the frequency if capacity allows, as they fly from the other side of the globe too. Like BC said, LHR slots is very hard to come by these days and it will be silly for them to let it go.

Good day from Kiwiland..

I think ANZ is planning to fly to Mumbai and New Delhi as they have finally realised it has a big market. I think they are also planning to fly to another European city- Frankfurt is I am not mistaken. Many years ago ANZ use to operate their own metal to Frankfurt via LAX.

ANZ is also planning to fly to Singapore/KL/Bangkok.. I think KLIA is trying to woo them to fly into KL.

And also another stop will be MiddleEast- Maybe Abu Dhabi or Dubai!!

Its all depends on when they r getting their 787 and whether 777-300er/777-200er has got capacity.

Well, lets see if they can really make SIN, BKK (and I doubt KUL) work. They did fly to Frankfurt from Auckland via LAX donkey years ago.

Edited by S V Choong

Well, qantas and NZ never really gave KUL a chance. 3 weekly KUL-SIN-SYD and 1 weekly KUL-SIN-AKL-CHC on a 767 was a bit of a half arsed effort really.

Well, qantas and NZ never really gave KUL a chance. 3 weekly KUL-SIN-SYD and 1 weekly KUL-SIN-AKL-CHC on a 767 was a bit of a half arsed effort really.

Did NZ ever serve KUL (KLIA)? I thought NZ only served Malaysia many years ago via Subang.

Qantas also had PER - KUL (subang) flights (B767) and BNE - Jakarta - KUL (subang) (also with B767).

NZ did serve KUL albeit not a direct flight. Back in the '90 it is AKL-SIN-KUL or AKL-SIN-BKK with 762 and 763 (some may have originated from CHC, but definitely not all). I have been on such flight between AKL-SIN-KUL and it was indeed Subang.

If that was really half arsed effort, MH was using their DC-10-30 on KUL-BNE-AKL.

I think the problem is that KUL do not have a good amount of business pax. compared to SIN. it is more a leisure market. BKK is an even better leisure market for them. If the amount of traffic justifies who would work against the money??

Whether we like it or not, the harsh reality is that SIN is the business capital of South East Asia. BKK is the tourist capital of South East Asia. Check the statistics and you will see. It's a bit like saying why English is important around the world today is not because of the British imperialism/ colonialism. Rather, It is because of corporate America.

Edited by S V Choong

NZ did serve KUL albeit not a direct flight. Back in the '90 it is AKL-SIN-KUL or AKL-SIN-BKK with 762 and 763 (some may have originated from CHC, but definitely not all). I have been on such flight between AKL-SIN-KUL and it was indeed Subang.

If that was really half arsed effort, MH was using their DC-10-30 on KUL-BNE-AKL.

I think the problem is that KUL do not have a good amount of business pax. compared to SIN. it is more a leisure market. BKK is an even better leisure market for them. If the amount of traffic justifies who would work against the money??

Whether we like it or not, the harsh reality is that SIN is the business capital of South East Asia. BKK is the tourist capital of South East Asia. Check the statistics and you will see. It's a bit like saying why English is important around the world today is not because of the British imperialism/ colonialism. Rather, It is because of corporate America.

that was during SZB period about more than decade ago. But now even Malaysia's economic/business still behind singapore, it is growing. AF will resume flights to KUL next year

Edited by dean hizudy

Sign in to follow this