MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Travelers call Incheon best airport

Yes, I could not agree more. I last used Incheon in May '05. Here's my brief story on it:

http://ny6.blogspot.com/2005_06_23_ny6_archive.html

.ny

+++

Travelers call Incheon best airport

By Don Phillips

International Herald Tribune

TUESDAY, MARCH 7, 2006

Incheon International Airport in South Korea was named the best airport in the world in a worldwide passenger survey released Tuesday by the Airports Council International.

Asian airports dominated the survey, which is conducted annually by the organization that is composed of almost all the world's airports, although Canada made a strong showing, with Halifax taking one of the top awards.

Second place in the world went jointly to Singapore and Hong Kong, while third place went to Kuala Lumpur. The prizes were awarded at the Geneva-based organization's annual meeting, held this year in Abu Dhabi.

Incheon dominated the survey, taking two of the three top worldwide categories, "Best Airport 2005 Worldwide" and "Most Improved Airport 2005," with Vancouver and Singapore taking second and third place in the most improved category. Halifax, in Nova Scotia, won the third top category, "Best Domestic Airport 2005."

Only one U.S. airport made the lists, with Denver placing third in the Americas section of the "best airport by region" and third among airports with more than 25 million passengers per year.

The survey was based on more than 100,000 detailed passenger surveys at the 66 major airports that entered the annual contest this year.

Judging was based on 11 categories of service quality, like courtesy, cleanliness, clear signage, parking, ground transportation and service offerings like dining, shopping and computer services. The organization said passengers placed the greatest value on "pleasant ambience and high-quality service."

The best airports by region were Halifax, Ottawa and Denver in the Americas; Incheon, Singapore, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur in Asia and the Pacific; Brussels and Copenhagen, followed by Zurich and Helsinki in Europe; and Dubai, Cape Town and Durban in the Middle East and Africa.

The best airports in categories organized by traffic volume were Halifax, Ottawa and Malta for airports with an annual passenger count of up to 5 million; Nagoya, Christchurch and Helsinki for airports handling 5 million to 15 million passengers; Kuala Lumpur, Dubai, Brussels and Copenhagen for airports handling 15 to 25 million; and Incheon, Singapore, Hong Kong and Denver for airports handling 25 million or more.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/03/07/business/incheon.php

Edited by naim

I seconded that, ICN is definetly a WORLD CLASS APOT!! :) But I think they lack an observation hall.. correct me if i am wrong, coz i search for it and can't find it.. DARN.... :angry:

Cool, KUL is in top 3........................hope with LCC-T, hope next year KUL rank don't drop.

KUl no 3? Wow looks like I've been to all top 3 airports in the world hooo hooo :lol:

KUL 3rd..That's good..as long as were in top 5..That's all good..

Great work MAB..

Naim, I had a look at all your pics and I can only say WOW!

Thanks, mate. Am off to Pulau Kapas in a couple of hours for 3 days of snorkeling and other fun, returning to same spot lah (there's a Nemo colony just a couple of hundred metres from the chalets, but no underwater cam):

http://ny6.blogspot.com/2005_08_27_ny6_archive.html

:-)

.ny

Great photos especially the pics of daily city life in Seoul. Did you visit the 10km site? It is a site which uncovered the ancient river running in the heart of Seoul. It is also a symbol of Korean cultural/heritage pride. That project has won various admiration from other world cities' mayor.

Seoul mayor is a great man, especially mobilizing his entire city govt staff which went from door to door explaining and getting the residents' support for the project.

Before project

IPB Image

During construction - no electric/machinery is used to generate water flow. Engineers use the topography to allow the flow at various speed.

IPB Image

Completion

IPB Image

IPB Image

I think HKIA/CLK is a friendly airport and easier for passengers to move around.

I find ICN's gates are too far apart (the gates are in 2 long corridors shaped like 2 outstretched arms). I think the Y shape (HKIA/CLK) is easier to move, and best of all there is a fast train from below immigration level all the way to Gate 89 (which is located at the end of Y). Also, arrival and departing passengers are not mixed up at the aerobridge...the walkway is split into 2 downards or upwards.

Having said that, ICN's Wi-FI is excellent...and best of all its freeand fast.

I find ICN's gates are too far apart (the gates are in 2 long corridors shaped like 2 outstretched arms). I think the Y shape (HKIA/CLK) is easier to move, and best of all there is a fast train from below immigration level all the way to Gate 89 (which is located at the end of Y). Also, arrival and departing passengers are not mixed up at the aerobridge...the walkway is split into 2 downards or upwards.

Always left me with the feeling that when I arrived at HKG, there is nothing much to see at the arrival level, I suppose it makes sense as you are in a hurry to get your luggage and leave the airport. The departure level offers the best of views and the features of the architecture.

Hopefully this design will be carried over to Beijing Capital Terminal 3.

BC, will BKI airport renovate continue???

wow... i just know that Ichion Airport so... so... so... nice one... :lol:

It is very very nice Sherman.. I missed the airport more than my holidays in Korea hehe :p

designing to the maximum..Nice airport..Futuristic look..

Denny, I believe that 'futuristic part' is the rail terminal isn't it? Very much like the MTR Airport Express station at Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok.

It is a nice terminal, a far cry from the Seoul Gimpo (Kimpo) terminal I went to in 1998 :lol:

BC, will BKI airport renovate continue???

Million dollar question !!

Newspaper headlines past few days - authorities having headache as to where to relocate squatters residing nearby

Denny, I believe that 'futuristic part' is the rail terminal isn't it? Very much like the MTR Airport Express station at Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok.

It is a nice terminal, a far cry from the Seoul Gimpo (Kimpo) terminal I went to in 1998 :lol:

For CLK, I like to take the Airbus A21 which is so convenient. HKEX is good but quite expensive.

As for ICN, I remember they use the Korean Rail Express trains, which look similar to TGV design unlike the HKEX which looks like MRT/KCR trains.

Here is an aerial pic of ICN. Building on left (shaped like the frying cover used on teppanyaki cover from the side or butterfly directly above from the air) is the expo hall and right is the airport terminal.

IPB Image

Night view:

IPB Image

Edited by Denny Yen

Ohhh I'm inlove with Korea again!!! ICN nightview is superb.... Love it :D :D

Where is AMS? I would rank AMS ahead of KUL, SIN and other European airports. AMS is definitely best in terms of shopping, dining, transitting and spotting. Haven't been to HKG and ICN, so can't comment on them.

Million dollar question !!

Newspaper headlines past few days - authorities having headache as to where to relocate squatters residing nearby

did? i din notice it... which newspaper? daily? or chinese paper?

Where is AMS? AMS is definitely best in terms of spotting.

Agree with you fully, Wong, when are you comin' over ? I'll show you all the nooks and crannies :rolleyes:

Wow looks like I've been to all top 3 airports in the world hooo hooo :lol:

Darn, I only been to two of them................I want to go to ICN(at least transit), but I can't find any reason to go there :)

Agree with you fully, Wong, when are you comin' over ? I'll show you all the nooks and crannies :rolleyes:

Thanks Pieter! I transitted at AMS early this year on my flights back to Msia and return. I remember there is a very nice viewing gallery at the end of pier G, where you can have a close view (less than 100m) of all arriving planes. There are a lot of shopping and dining areas in AMS and will certainly need a full day to explore them. Too bad my transit time was very short (less than 4 hours) and could only managed to get around every corner of the terminal in a rush. The airport also emphases on the punctuality. You could hear such annoucement "Mr XYZ, please proceed to Gate XX for immediate boarding, you are delaying the flight and we will proceed to offload your luggage". But, definitely AMS is better than any UK airports.

Sign in to follow this