S V Choong

Boeing Ready To Help MAS In Business Turnaround Plan

Bernama.com

Malaysian National News Agency

Boeing Ready To Help MAS In Business Turnaround Plan

Business

March 03, 2006 13:07 PM

By Yong Soo Heong

KUALA LUMPUR, March 3 (Bernama) -- Boeing is ready to help Malaysia Airlines succeed in its business turnaround plan aimed at bringing the national carrier back to profitability by 2007, says Dinesh Keskar, senior vice president of sales at Boeing Commercial Airplanes.

A Boeing team would be in Malaysia after the aircraft manufacturer had studied the restructuring plan in detail, he said in a recent telephone interview after the end of the Asian Aerospace exhibition in Singapore.

"We (certainly) want to help Malaysia Airlines go forward with their (business turnaround) plan," he added.

For the financial year ending Dec 31, 2006, Malaysia Airlines is expected to post a loss of RM1.7 billion but a turnaround is forecast for 2007 with a small profit of RM50 million.

The national carrier is aiming for an all-time high profit of RM500 million in 2008.

Malaysia Airlines managing director Idris Jala had said that the national airline would focus on improving efficiency and capabilities in 2007 while in 2008 the focus would be on new growth opportunities.

Asked about Boeing's performance at the Asian Aerospace show, Keskar said the airplane manufacturer had completed all the goals it had set to achieve at the event.

He said besides taking the opportunity to enhance its branding at the show, Boeing also finalised an agreement with SpiceJet, India's latest low-cost carrier, for the purchase of 10 Next Generation B737s (five 737-800s and five 737-900ERs).

Keskar said the 737 "continues to play an integral role in meeting the needs of India's rapidly growing aviation market as can be seen from the 737-900ER offering of 9.0 percent lower operating cost per trip and 7.0 percent lower operating cost per seat when compared with its nearest competitor airplane".

Boeing had showcased its 747-8, the 777-200LR (the world's longest-range twin-engine aircraft), the 787 Dreamliner and the F/A-18E/F combat aircraft at the Asian Aerospace show.

http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/printable.php?id=183587

PMB already issued a US$ 1 billion bond. So far attracted nearly US$ 2 billion of orders. Would be used for refinancing, the acquisition of aircraft and general working capital.

MAS Way Biz Turnaround plan stated, months 24-36 (year 3) ... join an international airline alliance, order new a/c, launch new destinations, new products/services etc.

Edited by M N Fairizuan

Yup, after all is just about selling more Boeings to MAS!

I don't really care what they want in return, it also for both company benefits. Airbus has no interest helping MH :unsure: ? If boeing can put MH back on top of the world, what the heck, just take it. But, right now Mr Idris Jala knows what he's doing at his office(may be in Paris???) :)

But, right now Mr Idris Jala knows what he's doing at his office(may be in Paris???)

Wouldn't surprise me if he stayed at a presidental suite :)

Edited by S V Choong

I think Idris knows only his own pocket and not MH pocket.. darn him!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: Lets see what he has under his sleeves!!! :p

How come no one questioned the previous CEO regarding this billion dollar deficit?

Being the CEO during a period when MAS was losing money, maybe he could offer some insights as to how it happened?

In fact, Datuk Ahmad Fuad Dahalan should be under investigation.

How come no one questioned the previous CEO regarding this billion dollar deficit?

In fact, Datuk Ahmad Fuad Dahalan should be under investigation.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you !! :)

Sign in to follow this