MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Airlines to customers: You can't wear that

DALLAS Airlines give many reasons for refusing to let you board, but none stir as much debate as this: How you're dressed.

A woman flying from Las Vegas on Southwest this spring says she was confronted by an airline employee for showing too much cleavage. In another recent case, an American Airlines pilot lectured a passenger because her T-shirt bore a four-letter expletive. She was allowed to keep flying after draping a shawl over the shirt.

Continue reading at http://www.msnbc.msn...l/#.UDqV72ge4ow

I wonder if things are that extreme in this part of the world...

Edited by alberttky

I wonder if things are that extreme in this part of the world...

Well, I don't work for airlines, but yes it happens at my workplace. The signage is very clear, NO ROUND NECK TSHIRT, NO SHORT SKIRT, NO SLEEVELESS, NO SLIPPERS, NO SANDALS, but when we stop the patron from entering the premise, they will write to the newspaper, or to make things worse, even to the PRIME MINISTER....

Sighhhhh........

Up to the 1990s, passengers tend to dress up for their flights ... but today, the trend seems to be gyrating towards dressing down.

I sometimes have my concern when it comes to an emergency evacuation from the airplane, with the crash site strewn with burning debris ...

- how would all those skimpily dressed humans go down the slide without suffering from abrasion ... and land safely at the bottom

- how would those wearing flip flops be able to safely find their foothold in the debris strewn site and run away from the aircraft

- and for those showing off massive clevage, you could imagine the bouncing boing-boing that goes on as they go down the slide - the only advantage is the number of guys with out-stretched hands ready to cushion the boiing-boings as they reach the bottom of the slide

And I also wonder how one could walk around with T-shirts that contain expletives or proclaim their sexual desires or related subjects. It may be ok going to the disco with it ... but walking around in most places in these might not be appropriate.

Whatever it is, people-watching at airports is almost as interesting as airplane spotting.

KC Sim

Up to the 1990s, passengers tend to dress up for their flights ... but today, the trend seems to be gyrating towards dressing down.

I guess this is a consequence of "Now Everyone Can Fly" - back then flying is the realm of the well to do whereas now it's akin to riding the bus (no pun intended :))

I believe that in this part of the world, folks still dress decently when they board a flight whether domestic or international, but this social value is buckling as they began mimicking foreigners with their care-free styles and ways.

Depends on which country that our Malaysians fly to, I observed that they now dress and blend in by dressing whatever the natives of the country would dress, eg., Western Australia in the summer - short pants, tee-shirts, sneakers/flip flops and a sweater (for the night ). UK in autumn or winter, leather jacket complete with b-boys cap. Kinda funny looking at mat-salleh celup.

Anyways, it is common-sense and morally inclined for one to dress decently when one is in a public place. When a passenger's dressing is deemed lewd and could caused another' s passenger's discomfort, the airline is lauded if it take actions to prevent the discomfort of other passengers to escalate into bigger issue.

Edited by Cire

At airports ouside of Malaysia (e.g. BKK), if one encounter young Asians pax wearing slippers, shorts and t-shirts, 90% chance are Malaysian. Find young Malaysian dress code when on holiday is less than casual, more like strolling to pasar malam. A;though there isn't any enforced dress code for airline pax but it reflect the culture, manner and etiquette.

I just dress comfortably -- my usual attire would be long-sleeve cotton collared t-shirt, cotton slacks, socks and sneakers. :)

I always thought that parents should teach their children to dress appropriately for the occassion (I have a few times almost fainted when I see what youngsters wear for job interviews). But now in Malaysia, even parents don't know how to dress.

errr..I will put my tshirt on, with jeans...and sandal, or proper covered shoes, during unofficial trip.

during work related trip, definitely I will have to put my suit on.

I always thought that parents should teach their children to dress appropriately for the occassion (I have a few times almost fainted when I see what youngsters wear for job interviews). But now in Malaysia, even parents don't know how to dress.

Very true. Headhunting nowadays is no more brain based, but more to appearance.

if you dont like looking at your definition of inappropriate clothing, don't look, no one forces you to. Control your own eyes.

if you dont like looking at your definition of inappropriate clothing, don't look, no one forces you to. Control your own eyes.

That's a little too simplistic, there must be some limits according to the law, rules, local customs and sensitivities etc. What if somebody wears a bikini or a Speedo for a flight? Would you just look away now?

i recall 2 years ago- i went to a job interview.was waiting outside to be called- a girl with super mini skirt comes out of the room- she was one of the candidate- the man who interview her was so happy- laughing, joking around with her.he even follow her to the door & said we will call you if you were to be successful.

my turn- all were serious- i use the right attire- working shoes, cloth. I greet him "salam"- he didn't answer- he just said "sit down". "give me your documents". I was a fresh graduate that time. He said I have no experienced & would rather take people with 5 years experiences. I said I just graduated. He said- He wasn't impress with my qualification bla bla bla. So he said he had enough. I said thanks for your time & didn't say anything.

Since I was recommend by a friend who works at their HR dept.I call him on what happen and said the girl got it after few days. :lol: :lol: :lol: I guess sexy dress does give an impression...

Sign in to follow this