MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Denny Yen

RCSS spotting

Denny,

The close ups of the heat waves are simply magnificent. You must be pretty steady since you were not blown away by the jet blasts. You like the smell of Jet A1? Cheers.....great stuff. We go RCSS on my next TPE trip ok?

You like the smell of Jet A1?

It smells similar to kerosene...used for the lamps when there is a power disruption. Jet blast is not so bad, but the worst is from the planes passing overhead coming to land. Ear plugs are required.

I get you some ear plugs next time round in end of April. :)

Thanks CH.

Here are some more pics, standing directly underneath approach line.

IPB Image

IPB Image

This is where the jet blast can be felt

IPB Image

IPB Image

For F100 fans...a clean bird:

IPB Image

IPB Image

For 757 fans...a thin bird with black nose

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

For ATR72 fans

IPB Image

For MD fans

IPB Image

Edited by Denny Yen

The developing CB's are quite huge in size. Look at those mountain in front and at the side on the takeoff path. Scary stuff huh..... :blink:

IPB Image

What a nice bird & picture this is: you got the anti-collision/strobe light :o ;)

Denny, I wonder the ATR PW127E engine sound are different from F50's PW125B? Since PW127 is also use on F60 and the sound is exactly the same with F50. Is any airlines in Taiwan still operate F50 or all of it has been sold (esp. Mandarin Airlines)? And thanks for the turboprobs, they are absolutely darlings.

Edited by Adrian M

Denny, I wonder the ATR PW127E engine sound are different from F50's PW125B? Is any airlines in Taiwan still operate F50 or all of it has been sold (esp. Mandarin Airlines)?

I didn't pay attention to difference in sound. I will definately go spotting there again, and will try to get it on Mp3 for all to hear.

As for F-50 in Taiwan, the only airline using it is Mandarin Airlines (affiliated to China Airlines), which flights mainly domestic routes. The ROCAF use to have them. ATRs and MDs dominate the scene at RCSS.

The developing CB's are quite huge in size. Look at those mountain in front and at the side on the takeoff path. Scary stuff huh..... :blink:

Several rwy overshot occured in 2005 and 2004. Also some local pilots wrote (on no names basis) to TV media about dangers from Taipei 101 tower, which is located several km away on the right side.

Here is an extract taken from a website:

Hi risk to opr. Hi terrain 3.1 NM SE of rwy affects arr and dep in all drct. 150' smokestacks 2000' ESE of Rwy 28. 1700' bldg 2.5 NM, 150 brg fr thld Rwy 10 and 2.1 NM, 184 brg fr Rwy 28. 700' bldg 1.8 NM, 184 brg fr Rwy 10. 33' Flood wall 820' E of Rwy 28. Use extreme caution dur dep due to hi terra in N, E, and S of arpt. Fly tfc pat S of rwy due to hi terrain and rstd area N of arpt. Ngt opr haz due to poor lgt, congestion, unctl veh, and unlgtd obst. FOD haz in all prk areas. Remain well clear of preceding acft.

Hi Denny,

Wonderful shots! You should go spotting more often. That location looks great, good variety and most important of all, you have a great camera! :D

Hi Denny,

Wonderful shots! You should go spotting more often. That location looks great, good variety and most important of all, you have a great camera! :D

Thanks Azman and everyone else for the encouragement. Its great to use the 20D for the main inducement for purchasing it.

Changing lenses in the open field has caused some particles to be collected on mirror. Its better to use 1 lens throughout or use 2 cameras (1 with telephoto lens and the other without).

Sign in to follow this