MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
alberttky

Fined for opening emergency door on Vietnam Airlines

A Vietnamese passenger could be fined at least VND15 million (S$907) after he attempted to open an emergency exit of a Vietnam Airlines airplane on Tuesday.

Le Van Thuan, 29, was caught when flight VN1265 was taxiing on the runway of the Tan Son Nhat airport at 6:20pm.817-grey.gif

According to a report, when the flight crew announced a safe landing, Thuan suddenly pressed the "Open" button and the float inside opened.

As the result, the airplane could not be used to serve the next flight.

Thuan explained that although he had been reminded by the flight crew and ground personnel staff not to open it, he wanted to get outside quickly since he was annoyed by a baby crying nearby.

An airport security staff member says the airline could suffer a loss of $10,000 in damages due to the customer's inappropriate act.

Last November, a 22-year-old Vietnamese college student, who claimed he was a first-time flyer, was fined VND15 million for committing the same act, also at the Tan Son Nhat airport.

http://www.relax.com.sg/relax/news/951572/Fined_for_opening_emergency_door_on_Vietnam_Airlines.html

Good lord... Some people! I think he may be mentally unbalanced.

guys! This is a normal occurrence in Vietnam, this happens up to 5 times a year, happens far too often, sadly

I've heard of excuses such as, I wanted fresh air, I wanted to smoke, it was my first time flying so I didn't know any better etc... these people haven't been paying attention to the FA's during their extra safety briefing apparently.

guys! This is a normal occurrence in Vietnam, this happens up to 5 times a year, happens far too often, sadly

Man, that is almost like happening every other month ! :blink:

Wonder how that compares to other airports/countries, adjusted for traffic volume of course :)

Long shot speculation, but could that rather lenient fine upon conviction be contributory factor ?

I mean, if you're going to give it a once in lifetime attempt for whatever reason, perhaps Vietnam is the most cost effective place to do it ? :D

Pardon my technical ignorance but aren't the a/c doors still armed at this point? Secondly, there is usually a crew seated near any exit. How is it that the FA did not notice the man?

Pardon my technical ignorance but aren't the a/c doors still armed at this point? Secondly, there is usually a crew seated near any exit. How is it that the FA did not notice the man?

Armed means doors when open will activate the escape slide.

Secondly, there is usually a crew seated near any exit

Not at the emergency exits I believe :)

My understanding from all those 'safety cards located at seat pocket in front of you' is that it takes much much more than "pressed the "Open" button" for "the float inside opened" though :pardon:

VN Airlines domestic flights use mostly A320-321 aircraft. They don't have seats for FAs at emergency exits. Many local passengers fly for the first time thanks to better price/time compared with trains, coaches during holidays and they are eager to "discover" the amenities of modern jetliners. Due to low average earnings of the Vietnamese people, the Ministry of transportation and M.of Finance which stipulate the fines are lenient for these violations. Operators are now battling to get punitive fines to cover the consequential operating loss.

Re. re-packing of emergency slides, VNA has to do it abroad especially in Singapore since there is no qualified/approved facility in-country.

For the A320, it takes a little reading of the safety card to understand how to open the emergency exits. These exits are always armed no matter in-flight or on ground. And BC you're right, it takes more than just pressing a button to open these doors.

On the A321, they have 4 full sized doors at the wing exits which act only as an emergency exit. These doors are never used for service at any time and they are also in the armed position all the time. These doors are a little easier to open as they are opened the same way as the other entry doors in the a/c and. And this too, is more than just pressing a button!

Have to salute the student (and the other Vietnamese people who managed to get them opened despite it being their first flight!) for getting the doors opened. He must have been studying the safety card inside out throughout the flight.

And it is true that the repacking of the slides cost the most. :drinks:

It happens far too often sadly, heres another one:

Unless this Mr Le Van Thuan is one heck of a chronic repeat offender, I strongly believe it's the same incident :D