MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

JAL to fly Dreamliner to Singapore

Back when the decision to order the B787s was made - the 787-8 was too small.

Today, perhaps the 787-8 may be a perfect fit!

The glory of hindsight.

If you extrapolate that, perhaps the better fit at time of delivery may be the 787-7 :p

That is because SQ has ordered the yet to fly B787-9, which are supposed to replace the B772s.

Still... they won't be the first to get the 787-9. I read that Air NZ is the first to get the 787-9.

Anymore excuse? ;)

Still... they won't be the first to get the 787-9. I read that Air NZ is the first to get the 787-9.

Anymore excuse? ;)

Aspire Aviation understands that Singapore Airlines (SIA) is currently negotiating with Boeing to be the launch customer of the 787-10X and a launch order could come as soon as this November, sources at Boeing and Singapore Airlines (SIA) confirmed.

http://www.aspireaviation.com/2012/10/22/boeing-787-10x-launch-implications-on-777x/

Aspire Aviation understands that Singapore Airlines (SIA) is currently negotiating with Boeing to be the launch customer of the 787-10X and a launch order could come as soon as this November, sources at Boeing and Singapore Airlines (SIA) confirmed.

http://www.aspireaviation.com/2012/10/22/boeing-787-10x-launch-implications-on-777x/

By then the 787 novelty would have worn off. Much like today's 77W and 77L compared to when 777 was launched initially.

By then the 787 novelty would have worn off. Much like today's 77W and 77L compared to when 777 was launched initially.

The first to operate the largest variant of the 787 family. Still a good publicity nonetheless :)

They must have paid a huge sum of money to be the first to operate the 380. There were like 4 or 5 airlines with firm order of the type then but SQ got the first one. To be the first to operate a 787 was not their priority I suppose. They weren't the first to operate the 777 either, not even in SEA. MAS actually took delivery of their first 772ER before SIA. Not sure which airline put their first 772ER into commercial service though but most likely it was MAS. MAS first 772ER made a big buzz about flying nonstop from SEA to KUL on its delivery flight.

Anyway, SIA isn't always the first :)

Anyway, SIA isn't always the first :)

I know, I am just stirring.. :p Not to be taken seriously.

I thought you only need to be the one to order first and then you will be the first operator. SQ ordered the A380 first and they got it first. ANA ordered the B787 first and they got it first. Air NZ was supposed to be the second operator for B787 as they ordered after ANA. Somehow or rather they cancelled their 787-8 orders and placed their orders for the 787-9 instead. Therefore they are looking to become the 787-9 launch customer.

SQ ordered the A380 first and they got it first.

Not quite so. When SQ placed firm order for the 380, 4 or 5 airlines already had firm order for the type then. SQ must had paid a huge sum of money to Airbus to "jump queue".

Found it. Emirates was the first announce that they were to order the 380 and followed soon by Air France in July 2000. SIA was the fourth airline to announce they were joining the Billion Dollars party too. However, Qantas was actually the first to firm up their order for the type, followed by Air France, ILFC, Virgin Atlantic and finally SIA.

I thought you only need to be the one to order first and then you will be the first operator.

It does not work like that for new aircraft launches.

Very often the manufacturer will talk to a few airlines to determine if they have enough orders to launch a new aircraft model. If there are not enough orders, they may decide not to go ahead with the launch.

There is a lot of horse trading to decide who becomes the launch customer. Sometimes there may even be more than one launch customer. It all depends on the negotiations conducted by the manufacturer and its customers.

Sign in to follow this