MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Nick R.

Another overshoot at KCH!

I'm not sure (maybe the experts among us can enlighten me), but a quick glance at this shows that a fully laden freighter 727 will need 13,900 ft. Of course, as in most engineering problems more than one factor is involved in making such decision.

Well, like Radzi like to put it, lets wait for the official report hee.hee.. :p :lol: I just dont think its runwy length problem..

If I recall it correctly KCH runway is 8059 ft long. A bit uncomfortable for widebody and heavy aircraft. Looking at the pictures it has been raining and the runway is surely very slippery. Combined with some tailwind it is a recipe for trouble. I've used the full length of runway in such condition and that was only the B734.

Of course, there could be other additional factors too. Remember that one extra straw that breaks the camel's back.

Edited by Radzi

Capt Radzi,

looking at MRD pictures above, the rego is actually initials for you name. cool! anyways, i agree with those other factors you're mentioning about. Tailwind and constant rain in kuching can really be limiting to aircrafts coming in to kuching. personally i've yet to have any hairy moments as its not as limiting on a fokker :). it must have been pretty hairy landing on full length in that kind of conditions....

I spent many times driving around KCH last weekend, and I found the wind consistently coming from the west, so planes were landing on R25 (i.e. from left in pic, taken 27/2 morning). The stricken DHL overshot the end of the runway to the right. So maybe tailwind was not a major factor.

IPB Image

Btw, when I was shooting pics at the glassy end of Gate 9, I heard this loud voice behind me. I turned back and came face to face with tycoon Ting Pek Khiing shouting into his walkie-talkie. He was obviously upset with the DHL plane and said to me KCH should be expanded further, but no space for 2nd runway. We had a short chat and he left to meet Alfred Jabu in the VIP lounge. Only later did I find out that his company was the main con for the KCH upgrading project!

When KCH was re-opened just after 12 noon, these were the first ones to take off. It was one busy airfield!

12.42pm. 9M-MMI to BKI/CAN.

IPB Image

12.45pm. 9M-MGA to SBU (I think).

IPB Image

.naim

Btw, when I was shooting pics at the glassy end of Gate 9, I heard this loud voice behind me. I turned back and came face to face with tycoon Ting Pek Khiing shouting into his walkie-talkie. He was obviously upset with the DHL plane and said to me KCH should be expanded further, but no space for 2nd runway. We had a short chat and he left to meet Alfred Jabu in the VIP lounge. Only later did I find out that his company was the main con for the KCH upgrading project!

.naim

You chat with him? cool!! friendly or not?

yeah, he owns Global Upline which is the main con. for KIA redevelopment. Global also did the MYY and BTU airport project.

by the way, Naim and Iggy, thanks for the pic!! B)

better coverage than the press

Edited by fairul

Thnaks for the pictures..The new terminal 2 storey??

It has 3 levels. These are the exterior airside pics.

IPB Image

Gates 5-9 already in use. Gates 1-4 still being worked on.

IPB Image

Some interior airside shots. Full house, thanks to 9M-TGH.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

.naim

Don't think the runway length was the major factor here, I think more on the surface. Flew F50 for 6 years there and had many near skid off incidences. Imagine, that's F50.. how 'bout big jets..?

They shud grooved the runway, get rid of the rubber deposit and find a bomoh to get rid of the jinx. Lenghten the runway is an additional bonus.

Don't think the runway length was the major factor here, I think more on the surface. Flew F50 for 6 years there and had many near skid off incidences. Imagine, that's F50.. how 'bout big jets..?

They shud grooved the runway, get rid of the rubber deposit and find a bomoh to get rid of the jinx. Lenghten the runway is an additional bonus.

Bomoh?? Jinx? :blink: :blink: :D

Sharul, u MH pilot kah? :)

Is this the same Capt Sharul who is now flying in the Sandy Plains? :)

Dante,

Apparently so, as the Qatari flag is displayed at the bottom ;)

Apparently so, as the Qatari flag is displayed at the bottom ;)

Am looking forward to experiencing QR - now planning to do QR139 KWI-DOH (11APR) and QR114 DOH-DXB (12APR). :D

.naim

OMG... i missed so many thing after two days... btw, thanks Naim and Iggy for urs nice coverage... better than jonourlist... btw, is that the runway length of BKI same as KIA? funny,,, why the MH 734 don use the aerobridge, but the AK 733 do... cut cost???

OMG... i missed so many thing after two days... btw, thanks Naim and Iggy for urs nice coverage... better than jonourlist... btw, is that the runway length of BKI same as KIA? funny,,, why the MH 734 don use the aerobridge, but the AK 733 do... cut cost???

If you are refering to the planes in my pics, then I guess it was due to limited space and first-come-first-served (the lucky ones get the bridges). When the airport was reopened at 12-ish, there was an influx of delayed flights arriving, so much so that the whole place was congested (like a bus station!). I saw 3 AK flights arriving one after the other just before 2pm (2 from KUL, 1 from JHB), and 2 of them had to queue for almost 30min along the taxiway before gates were made available. For us passengers in the terminal, gate assignments were changing all the time. :blink:

.naim

Am looking forward to experiencing QR - now planning to do QR139 KWI-DOH (11APR) and QR114 DOH-DXB (12APR). :D

.naim

Gimme a shout when ur here...will take you for ever-popular Dubai Briyani! :lol:

Gimme a shout when ur here...will take you for ever-popular Dubai Briyani! :lol:

Sure one, thanks! Will take note of that. Dubai Biryani, better than Hyderabad's? :huh:

.naim

You chat with him? cool!! friendly or not?

yeah, he owns Global Upline which is the main con. for KIA redevelopment. Global also did the MYY and BTU airport project.

Sorry, I missed your msg, fairul. TPK seems like any towkay lah. He was already sitting in his 6am KL-bound MH plane when the accident happened. The whole lot had to disembark. He said the airport was getting too small already. Anyway after the chat he went to the VIP lounge and reappeared with Alfred Jabu on a walkabout apologizing to the stranded passengers about the delay. Pics below:

IPB Image

IPB Image

.ny

Sure one, thanks! Will take note of that. Dubai Biryani, better than Hyderabad's? :huh:

.naim

Everybody has their own preferences...i prefer Dubai Briyani... :)

Everybody has their own preferences...i prefer Dubai Briyani... :)

I think Da Best is Briyani Gam Johor. :p

.ny

If you are refering to the planes in my pics, then I guess it was due to limited space and first-come-first-served (the lucky ones get the bridges). When the airport was reopened at 12-ish, there was an influx of delayed flights arriving, so much so that the whole place was congested (like a bus station!). I saw 3 AK flights arriving one after the other just before 2pm (2 from KUL, 1 from JHB), and 2 of them had to queue for almost 30min along the taxiway before gates were made available. For us passengers in the terminal, gate assignments were changing all the time. :blink:

.naim

thanks Naim, i missed that point... :lol:

Sign in to follow this