MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sandeep G

Malaysian Aviation Expanding

Hi Everyone.

Something we seldom focus our attention on in MalaysianWings in Air Traffic Control.

ATC and Air Traffic Management (ATM) are as core an ingredient to the success of the industry as is airport infrastructure and competently run airlines. We now see the expansion of KLIA to include KLIA2 - A new third runway to be in operation. Increasing congestion is prevalent in the Lumpur Terminal Area especially at times. Morning and Evening peak periods for airways clearance and departures are frustrating to airlines operations and passengers.

In the past year, KLIA and parts of the peninsular have been victim to multiple radar control failures resulting in delays and adding cost burdens to airlines and passengers alike. New technology is being embraced amidst our regional neighbors in ATM, however, we don't hear of or see any new investment in LUMPUR/KINABALU ATC services. The digital era in ATC communications is only half embraced with much of it full potential yet to be realized.

Anyone here from DCA or anyone affiliated with ATC able to share with us what the future of ATC/ATM in Malaysia holds, please feel free to share.

No point having the worlds best LCC/worlds best airport if we can't efficiently manage the skies above. what say you?

If you draw a straight line from Melaka airport to Pekan (Pahang) and northwards up to Kota Bharu Kelantan, the airspace (high level - sorry could not remember the altitude) to the east and south of these lines belongs to everyone else except Malaysia. YES, even after 54 years we celebrated Hari MERDEKA ..... :rolleyes:

As far as Air Traffic Management is concerned, MOT is seriously needed to look into this matter. In general, we need more participation/feedback/input from operators/players, modern equipment (such as satellite based datalink and communication etc....), infrastructure, training and last but not least, the political will to improve the whole system.

If we could not optimise the usage of dual runway ops in KUL up to at least 40 take off and landing per runway per hour........ I would say we could only dream of the rest ... :sorry:

Having been to quite a number of airports in the First World countries, I wonder whether even my great grand children will ever have the same joy and experience that I have right now, in our home turf.

:hi:

I wonder how does more advanced continent like Europe deals with such issues. Just awed by what you see on flightradar24 any time of the day.

If you draw a straight line from Melaka airport to Pekan (Pahang) and northwards up to Kota Bharu Kelantan, the airspace (high level - sorry could not remember the altitude) to the east and south of these lines belongs to everyone else except Malaysia. YES, even after 54 years we celebrated Hari MERDEKA ..... :rolleyes:

As far as Air Traffic Management is concerned, MOT is seriously needed to look into this matter. In general, we need more participation/feedback/input from operators/players, modern equipment (such as satellite based datalink and communication etc....), infrastructure, training and last but not least, the political will to improve the whole system.

If we could not optimise the usage of dual runway ops in KUL up to at least 40 take off and landing per runway per hour........ I would say we could only dream of the rest ... :sorry:

Having been to quite a number of airports in the First World countries, I wonder whether even my great grand children will ever have the same joy and experience that I have right now, in our home turf.

:hi:

Lumpur has Datalink.

I wonder how does more advanced continent like Europe deals with such issues. Just awed by what you see on flightradar24 any time of the day.

And also bear in mind that Europe's airspace is fragmented and control is passed from one national ATC to another! Imagine how much better it could be if there was a unifed air traffic management and control system throughout the EU.

A pity Flightradar24 shows very little of planes operating in our region - thankfully someone in KUL vicinity is sending out location of those planes near KUL. Otherwise this whole airspace from Indonesia to the Bay of Bengal to the upper reaches of the South China Sea is a blank space.

KC Sim

KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 1 — Aviation tycoon Tan Sri Tony Fernandes yesterday raised the stakes for a tourism-driven economy in calling for provisions to be made in Budget 2012.

Fernandes hoped the government would provide for investment in aviation human capital in the budget that Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak would present in Parliament on October 7 as finance minister.

More funds should be channelled to the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA), Fernandes told reporters after delivering a talk at the Tunku Abdul Rahman College here.

“The investment must flow into DCA as we are now short of aviation engineers and technical experts and I think this is a major issue to arrest as MAS (Malaysia Airlines) and AirAsia grows,” Bernama Online quoted Fernandes as saying.

Fernandes said aviation in Malaysia needed more engineers, air traffic controllers and investment to build better systems.

“I hope part of Budget 2012 will go into developing the necessary infrastructure for the local aviation industry,” said Fernandes.

The AirAsia founder and now group chief executive, after a share-swap deal in August, became a director of MAS together with fellow AirAsia founder Datuk Kamarudin Meranun, with a 20 per cent equity stake in MAS.

“Better systems will enable both of us (MAS and AirAsia) to utilise our runways better,” Fernandes said. “There should be a dual mode which enables two aircraft to land simultaneously.”

Fernandes said newly appointed MAS managing director and chief executive officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya would agree with him that more investment must be channelled into DCA to further spur the growth of both airline companies.

Source

Sign in to follow this