MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mike P

KIA now operating round the clock

KUCHING: Kuching International Airport (KIA) will operate round the clock from today.

Malaysia Airports Sdn Bhd KIA senior manager Sunif Naiman said a final inspection on the runway was carried out yesterday so that the airport could officially open 24 hours.

“By tomorrow (today) effective from 5.30am, we can accommodate the arrival of airlines after midnight. That means we are open round the clock,” he said.

Speaking at a press conference in conjunction with Firefly’s inaugural Johor Bahru-Kuching flight, Sunif said the inspection was carried out by Malaysia Airports, the consultant as well as main contractor.

Without disclosing details, he revealed that the runway project was behind schedule.

“The completion date was scheduled for last year, but due to certain hiccups, it has been slightly delayed,” he said.

The largest aeroplane that the KIA runway can accommodate is the Boeing 747-400 series.

Meanwhile, Sarawak Tourism Board (STB) chief executive officer Datuk Rashid Khan said KIA’s 24-hour operations would be an added advantage for STB to further promote tourism.

“If the airport is operational round the clock, it would help to attract many airlines especially from North Asia.

“This is because their aircraft are land idle on ground, so, they can actually use the same aircraft to come here and go without distracting their normal flight schedule. That is an opportunity for us to be more marketing savvy,” he said.

He revealed that STB plans to invite top leaders of airlines to visit Sarawak this October to showcase KIA and the state’s tourist attractions.

“At least if they can’t operate regular schedules, they can operate chartered (flights),” he said.

On Firefly’s inaugural flight from KIA to Johor Bahru, Rashid said the move is in line with the airline’s target to make KIA one of its hubs.

He said he would carry out more discussions with Firefly to encourage the airline to expand their services to other areas in the state.

Indonesian low cost carrier Telstar, he said, would fly from Jakarta to Kuching via Pontianak starting next week.

“The last three months have seen the tremendous growth in tourist arrivals in Sarawak. Accumulatively from January to March, there has been a 9.9 per cent growth in visitor arrivals. This shows that the tourism industry is picking up,” he said.

Firefly flies from Johor Bahru to Kuching at 7.30am and 6.35pm daily, while the Kuching-Johor Bahru flights are at 9.55am and 8.30pm.

The airline will start its Sibu-Kuala Lumpur route on July 1.

The largest aeroplane that the KIA runway can accommodate is the Boeing 747-400 series.

Potentially devastating news for KCH spotters :p

Indonesian low cost carrier Telstar, he said, would fly from Jakarta to Kuching via Pontianak starting next week.

Must be another new start up - Indonesian aviation must be so happening lately :D

Must be another new start up - Indonesian aviation must be so happening lately :D

Oh, actually I wanted to highlight the erroneous report by The Borneo Post. It should be A380 as the biggest aircraft that can be accommodated in KIA and instead of Telstar, it should be Kalstar :)

It's Kalstar,mainly operating in the Kalimantan (Borneo) part of Indonesia.It's been operating for a few years now.

Didn't know sucha big airport like Kuching with an Air Force base some more doesn't operate 24 hrs. And it stop at 12 midnight? DOes anyone know why??

I don't really recall it stops at 12 midnight. KIA still receives flight after 12AM, mostly from KUL. Previous schedule of flight to PER and SYD also operated after 12AM, too, if I were not mistaken.

A few years back my AK flight from BKI to KCH was cancelled due to airport closure after 12pm. Didn't it took so long to make it 24 hours operation considering its' "international" standard.

AFAIK KCH / WBGG has always been H24, except when WIP due to airport upgrading.

It's Kalstar,mainly operating in the Kalimantan (Borneo) part of Indonesia.It's been operating for a few years now.

B737-300 Kalstar officially landed at KIA..

http://xtive.utusan.com.my/tools/utusan/update_gambar/110523155643.jpg

http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/info.asp?pg=special/galeri/galeri_terkini.htm

Photo : Utusan Malaysia

What does KCH has to offer "to attract many airlines especially from North Asia"?

I think it used to be (Malaysian) tourists heading for holidays in China

Someone decided to put an end to that :pardon:

Kuching or Sarawak is more like Flora & Fauna paradise... not a lot of nice beaches and we all know that nice beaches is the main reason to attract tourism. :)

Kuching or Sarawak is more like Flora & Fauna paradise... not a lot of nice beaches and we all know that nice beaches is the main reason to attract tourism. :)

Waters off Damai Beach is as dark as my teh tarik I had this morning.

Whether Damai Beach or Santunbong Beach, the beaches are never as nice as you have gone to others, but the hotels and services are managed very well. If you want to have snorkelling and get to experience real blue sea and get to see dolphins, you would have to travel from Kuching to Sematan beach and take speed boat to an island.

Kuching has won the world's cleanest city award, world's healthiest air city award, indeed.

However, those are not the reasons to contribute the attraction of other airlines operating in KIA. :)

Whether Damai Beach or Santunbong Beach, the beaches are never as nice as you have gone to others, but the hotels and services are managed very well. If you want to have snorkelling and get to experience real blue sea and get to see dolphins, you would have to travel from Kuching to Sematan beach and take speed boat to an island.

Kuching has won the world's cleanest city award, world's healthiest air city award, indeed.

However, those are not the reasons to contribute the attraction of other airlines operating in KIA. :)

Fully agree! It's time the politicians sort out the tourism offerings before thinking about how KIA will attract airlines.

There are many way to attract airlines to an airport. It would depend on how modern and how convenient the airport would be, or, due to the geographical & strategical area, high demand of people flocking in and out from a city via that airport because of tourism or business.

As for KIA's case, it seems that tourism and business contribute little to attract other airlines, it would be up to the authority or government's willingness and to put effort to make the airport more utilised and emerged as regional hub.

Anyway, I think BKI has won in this case.

Sign in to follow this