MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Peter Smith

Fixed Based Operators (FBO)

Hi all,

Just wondering if other Malaysian cities had VIP aircraft facilities?

Obviously Subang has the massive new Skypark FBO, but is there any facilities in places such as Penang, Langkawi, Kuching or Kota Kinabalu?

Hi Liam,

I believe Subang is the only proper FBO in Malaysia. I think Langkawi might have a lounge, but not very sure.

I would imagine a VIP lounge would be top priority for all Malaysian airports ?

Over here at BKI there is the 'exclusive' portion at T2 whilst T1 has a few VIP and VVIP lounges :)

think VIP lounges are avail all round the country. but to be a real FBO you need to have facilities to park/service business jets, CIQ, lounges and also communication base to receive ad hoc jets.

Skypark, and another company in subang has this facilities. This company (something-something aerospace, cant remember) is located near the fuel tanks right next to spirit aerosystem. VIPs wanting "discretion" typically flies in and out of this place.

not too sure about sungai besi. Met a guy operating out of a trailer (a high tech one!) who wanted to start an FBO there a number of years ago.

There used to be a "Mofaz FBO" in LGK. Logically it didn't last very long. The building is now used as the hangar for HM Aerospace.

doubt it. some years ago before the creation of skypark, a number of franchise FBO operators were here to do a due-d on possible locations. kul, szb, lgk and kua were earmarked but nothing came of it.

maybe give it another 5-10 years...

Would the business jet/ad hoc traffic through BKI or PEN justify a specific facility?

Very much depends on your definition of 'justify' I guess :p

Seems like currently in our nation, the construction (with emphasis on construction) of anything aviation related is somehow justified with prospect (perceived or otherwise) of 'hab' status :D

Sign in to follow this