MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mike P

AirAsia X - Flight Transfer

LOW-COST carrier AirAsia on Monday introduced a new Fly-Thru service, which will offer customers on connecting flights and transiting in Kuala Lumpur (KL) added convenience.

Passengers will now only need to check-in and submit their luggage once at their airport of origin and upon arrival in KL, they can access a transit area while waiting for their next flight.

They will not be required to clear immigration in KL and check-in again for the connecting journey, as is the current practice.

The transit area is directly connected to the departure hall and travellers will just need to be at the departure gate at least 20minutes before flight time.

Fly-Thru is available to customers flying selected AirAsia and all AirAsia X flights with a transit time in KL of between 90 minutes and six hours.

For Singaporeans, this will apply to flights from Changi Airport to KL and onward to Gold Coast, Hangzhou, Mumbai, New Delhi, London, or Christchurch.

The fee for Fly-Thru will be built into the ticket price, AirAsia said. But customers can choose to opt out and do the check-ins for their first and subsequent flights separately and to clear immigration in KL.

As part of the Fly-Thru launch, AirAsia is advertising on its site promotional fares from Singapore to Gold Coast starting from $189, to Hangzhou from $159, and to London from $319. Specific travel and booking dates apply.

http://www.relax.com.sg/relax/news/537468/AirAsia_launches_new_Fly_Thru_transit_service.html

Another nickel & dime endeavour by the LCC king of Asia! Really, is there any added cost to handle connecting passengers?

Am no expert but I feel that the extra-cost is quite significant.. Especially regarding the baggage and its sorting and what not.

I just checked the AK's website... there's no official 'fee' for this, so I guess it should be just a slight increase in ticket price, BUT i think this would have been offset by not having to pay for the extra RM25 airport tax at LCCT, as well as the terrible currency conversion rate that Singapore Banks charge its customers for transactions in RM. So ultimately, a fly-through could be potentially cheaper than booking 2 separate legs anyway!

Sounds like a win-win for both pax and AK/D7... If only they had this service last month when I flew to ICN...

For pax like me, who always travel with only hand luggage, baggage transfer is meaningless... and immigration at M'sia for Singaporeans is (although annoying) still very fast... the main draw for this service is Guaranteed Connections! Every time I travel on D7 via KUL, I'm always reluctant to book a SIN-KUL flight because I'm afraid that if that flight gets delayed/cancelled/tiger-ified/etc, my entire vacation goes down the drain...

So eg. in my ICN trip, I ended up taking a bus to KL, flew D7 KUL-ICN-KUL, then only on the return leg, flew TR KUL-SIN (TR had better connecting times & prices than AK) since getting stuck at KL on the way back wouldnt be as bad... (worst case senario: i miss my KUL-SIN flight, i either try to get on the next one, or pay RM30 for a bus/train back instead...)

Edited by reyneo

So eg. in my ICN trip, I ended up taking a bus to KL, flew D7 KUL-ICN-KUL, then .....

You are aware the possibilty of that bus breaking down enroute to KL ? :p

Sign in to follow this