MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
kandiah k

MAS' New Plans and Restructuring Ideas

9M-MPR and 9M-MPS are both 747-4H6/F Short Upper Deck full cargo aircraft brand new from Boeing.

Can 744 pilot fly the 74F by not going major course.......or 744P AND 744F are the same type, same manual etc.

and does MH order the one that can open the nose thing.........that is cool B)

Not sure about the pilot rating, but should be alright, probably with minor training / adjustments.

9M-MPR and MPS will be the BRAND SPANKING NEW, NOSE OPENING, SHORT UPPER DECK, P&W PW4056 powered, 747-400F FULL FREIGHTERS, similar to the following:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/989731/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/941254/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/923280/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/983306/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/987819/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/865265/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/863007/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/861927/L/

The converted passenger to freighters 744 will received name as 747-400BCF (note the BCF or Boeing Converted Freighters suffix). The Boeing 747-400BCFs do not have the nose opening feature.

I don't know if you with me on this but i think it's good.

Just today i talk with one of my friend who live in Houston, his dad work with Continental Airline.

I ask him and ask him to ask his dad about it. my question is, how a major carier like CO can maintain it's economic? Why did CO suffer only minor lost while other US carrier suffer more? How did CO maintain it's name as one of the most successful US carrier.

here is the important answer given.

Fleet

Operator

Route

Maintenance

I'll start with operator. Continental break apart the airline into various operator such as Continental, Continental Express, Continental Connection and Continental Micronesia (now only named Continental). each operator has a different management of it's own, example Continental is by itself and CO Express is under Express Jet.

as for Route, Continental take the route which doesn't cost a lot. they also leave some of thier route to other airlines which is partners and Skyteam alliance. example, IAH-CDG route, there's 2 fly in and 2 fly out. one is by CO and one is by AF. same thing done with IAH-AMS route.

as for fleet, Continental (not include Express and connection) operates a fleet of all Boeing aircraft because this will lower the maintenance cost. CO already dump Airbus and M. Douglas. CO Express ERJ is owned by ExpressJet. Also, keep the engine lesser. like other US carrier, except UAL and NWA, CO only operate 2 engine aircraft. maintenance cost depends on number of engine. the more the engines, the more the cost. That's why CO cancel A340-300 order and go for 767-400 and 777. CO also go for Extended Range (ER). All of CO widebodies uses the GE engine which is fuel efficient and more on range. blended winglet on 737 and 757 fleet is another factor but this factor is still new. CO flight is also flexible. if the demand of the route is high, especially for domestic route, they will bring out the bigger plane. example, if CO planned a route to be operated by a 757, it's not confirm until they get the number person that will travel on that route. sometimes, the number of pax can get above limit of 757, so they bring out the bigger aircraft. this method only be done if there's aircraft availability.

Maintenance, CO dont' do maintenance for smaller aircraft at hub like IAH. CO send 757, 767 and 777 for maintenance at Garret at IAH and send their 737, and some other at Hobby airport in Houston for cheaper maintenance cost. Also, they said that they send their aircraft for maintenance before the dateline so not many things have to be changed and the aircraft will stay in good shape. also CO clean their aircraft like once in two weeks, that's why their aircraft stay like new.

These is some answer i get. from my own eyes, i do notice CO done some other things like no free beer. beer or any alcoholic drinks can only be purchase like US$5.00 each. For in-flight entertainment, some airline having the problem of losing headset. CO headset can only be obtained by buying them from the F/A for $5.00 each and it's yours to keep. i bought a few, it's good for sourvenir since CO don't carry out duty free in-flight sale. :D :D

I think this are some good business strategy for airline. I do think it's good if MAS follow this strategy.

Azuddin

i am not sure if this would make sense, but just would like to share my idea..

one of my mates travelled Emirates from KUL - LHR. n apparenty that they dont use tickets, but just have a slip. n this saves them USD5 per ticket.so if MAS could also use this method, imagine how much of money they could save.?

could some one please correct me on this if i did make any mistake.thanks

I flew Air NZ from SIN - AKL, and all I needed to check-in was an e-Ticket which I printed out myself. It was sent to my e-mail as a pdf document.

The 'slip' your friend used, I'd imagine it's something similar to the one I used. When my parents flew SIN - AKL on EK, they also used a printed e-Ticket like Air NZ's.

If I'm not wrong, SIA also uses e-Ticket for all flights booked online. Sadly though, e-Ticket is only used by MH for domestic flight. My sister booked online for an international flight with MH and had to queue at the city office to collect her ticket. (!!)

I flew Air NZ from SIN - AKL, and all I needed to check-in was an e-Ticket which I printed out myself. It was sent to my e-mail as a pdf document.

The 'slip' your friend used, I'd imagine it's something similar to the one I used. When my parents flew SIN - AKL on EK, they also used a printed e-Ticket like Air NZ's.

If I'm not wrong, SIA also uses e-Ticket for all flights booked online. Sadly though, e-Ticket is only used by MH for domestic flight. My sister booked online for an international flight with MH and had to queue at the city office to collect her ticket. (!!)

Yes, this is the trend these days to move towards e-tickets. With Swiss, almost all destinations are e-ticket destination. When you make a booking, they will email you a receipt with your itinerary. For most destinations, you don't even have to print it out and bring it with you. For some more "difficult" destinations where you have to show "proof of onward travel" to the immigration officer, etc., then you should print it out. If you insist on a paper ticket, they Swiss will charge you something like RM30 for it! For places where there is no e-ticket facility, they send you a ticket which also acts like a boarding pass. When you check in, the gate no., seat no., boarding time, etc. will be printed on the same ticket, so it becomes your boarding pass. All this will save money...

For me, it is a lot more convenient too - no more lost tickets! Some years ago, I lost my MH ticket and boy it was a lot of trouble to get a new one issued... I even had to do a police report!

Continental use e-ticket for all international, domestic and regional route.

Azuddin

Continental use e-ticket for all international, domestic and regional route.

Azuddin

E-ticket is easier and easy to use, by this, airline reduces their cost thru ticketing. Plus, majority no one know what is printed on REAL FLIGHT TICKET ;) I even have a hard time to find my flight information on it :lol:

E-ticket is easier and easy to use, by this, airline reduces their cost thru ticketing. Plus, majority no one know what is printed on REAL FLIGHT TICKET ;) I even have a hard time to find my flight information on it :lol:

i agree, anything printed on paper ticket doesn't make sence to me. like once, my ticket printed a word KULIAH. what is that suppuse to mean. i figure out that it was my travelling route. KUL-IAH. paper ticket use a lot of short form, example, Continental known as CO, AA for American, and Y for economy class. also sometimes, the print of paper ticket worn off.

E-ticket, you'll get the itenary with everything that you can understand. full airline name, destination, and times. the best thing is, you lost it, just print out another one. :D i remember when i lost my CX e-ticket.

Azuddin

i also think about why not get rid of all safety card and print them in Going Places magazine. this way, anyone can take the safety card home :D or how about digital safety card, shown on the PTV. make one channel on PTV for it. printing safety card cost money.

also, why not cramp the Temptation magazine in Going Places, like AA and KLM does. save more by just printing one inflight magazine.

Azuddin

or how about digital safety card, shown on the PTV. make one channel on PTV for it. printing safety card cost money.

Can't agree with that, Safety Card must be printed, easy to grab, use and read....it must be reacheable for use......and trust me, if they invent digital safety card, I doubt FAA will approve it :( and MW can't collect safety card anymore to share in AVIATION COLLECTIBLES :rolleyes:

Can't agree with that, Safety Card must be printed, easy to grab, use and read....it must be reacheable for use......and trust me, if they invent digital safety card, I doubt FAA will approve it :( and MW can't collect safety card anymore to share in AVIATION COLLECTIBLES :rolleyes:

OK, so how about safety card in in-flight magazine. this will include all safety card from all type of planes. I saw America West do it like this. they still have the common safety card and common if-flight magazine. there's another in-flight magazine onboard AWA which is cannot be remove from A/C because it got safety card in it.

Azuddin

OK, so how about safety card in in-flight magazine. this will include all safety card from all type of planes. I saw America West do it like this. they still have the common safety card and common if-flight magazine. there's another in-flight magazine onboard AWA which is cannot be remove from A/C because it got safety card in it.

Azuddin

I dont know it is a comman practice to put safety card printed in an inflight magazine, but again if it is printed inside magazine, it is unreachable, and hard to use during emrgency...............just my 2 cent worth people ;)

Guest Fendy

Azuddin

dont think so. not all people who fly are aviation nuts like us and cant tell differents between a a320 and 747. putting all the aircraft types there might confuse them.

dont think so. not all people who fly are aviation nuts like us and cant tell differents between a a320 and 747. putting all the aircraft types there might confuse them.

you right :D :D you can find many people like us if you fly in Economy or coach class. i flew on first and business class on Continental and CX, i sat on window seat. all these people must thinking that i'm crazy because i took photos of outside view. i fell like and10t in first and business class.

these people just seat down open their laptop and do their work, i open my laptop too, but with FS2004 on it. once i flew on CO 753 to LAX, i ask the people next to me what type of plane that we are on. he said it's an "Airbus whatever". i say why airbus, he say because it's long :lol: :lol: . same thing happen on board America West PHX-LAX. People next to me says that we travel on 737, actually it was an A319 :D :D

Azuddin

Even with MH newly promoted 'Fine Dining Experience', i feel that dining on board has lost alot of its splendor and glamour that it used to have. Flying on business class used to mean that meals were served to you from a tray, not pre packaged as on my flight from KL - Auckland.. its all very dissapointing really, seeing my favourite airline in decline..

Sad to heard that even in Business class..the food wasn't served from the tray but pre-packaged..:(

I remember that. I like CX and AF meal, they serve them on tray with individual plates for each food. CX did it in Business class during my LAX-HKG flight. AF did it in Economy class during my CDG-ZHR flight. Continental did it in first class and give snack tray in coach class. Air India pack them in plastic container with aluminium foil cover, so the food stay hot, I have biryani two times on board Air India during JFK-LHR route, and have nan for breakfast :D .

Azuddin

Have you fly them lately ;)

I got you :p , actually i fly on them last year. remember when the riot happen in paris, i was trying to escape. all train to Zurich has been cancel. the only way out of Paris is by air. I flew on AF, A320, only 6 people on board. since the first class was empty, we in the coach class got first class meals :D .

Azuddin

Is the protest effect the train too, I was there that time, CDG-LAX, flew home a lil bit early cuz of the nasty protest.........not a good week to visit Effiel <_>

After all, lucky to be on that kinda of flight, just a question, why would AF supply First class meal eventhough no one book it? Glad you enjoy the meal Azuddin, this rarely happen in AF :)

Edited by Seth K

Guest Fendy

Sad to heard that even in Business class..the food wasn't served from the tray but pre-packaged..:(

was your flight at night? normally late night flights the meals are served pre pack as opposed from tray. this is to save time and allow pax to sleep.

i remember my flight KUL-TPE-LAX, KUL-TPE meal served from tray, TPE-LAX one meal pre pack and one meal from tray.

Sign in to follow this