MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Old Malaysian plane wreckage in Aceh?

Malaysian wreckage in Aceh? Anybody has further info?

===

August 06, 2010 21:32 PM

Search Mounted To Find Wreckage

JAKARTA, Aug 6 (Bernama) -- Aceh police have already mounted a search to find the wreckage of an aircraft said to be from Malaysia which crashed in Sumatra's Bukit Barisan mountain range, more than 20 years ago.

Aceh police public relations officer Senior Commissioner Farid Ahmad Saleh said the search party was mounted four days ago and had yet to return to base.

"The land journey to the reported crash site will take at least three days. The place is very remote making radio communication very difficult.

"We have yet to hear anything from the search members," he said when contacted by Bernama.

The search was mounted after local residents hunting for wood in the area reported finding the wreckage of an aircraft with a skeleton still in it.

Farid's account also negated earlier reports that the wreckage was detected from the air by local police, as the forest there was too dense to be able to make such a discovery.

Farid also denied reports that Aceh police chief Agus Susanto had said as such.

In KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia's Department of Civil Aviation deputy director Idros Abdul Rahman said the department was willing to work with Aceh authorities on the case if it was confirmed the wreckage was that of a Malaysian aircraft.

"We have all the records and are ready to send our officers to help our Indonesian counterparts on the matter," he told Bernama when asked about this development.

According to the records, two Malaysian aircraft were reported to have crashed in Aceh, one a Twin Otter in 1989 and the other a Skyvan in 1993.

Both were said to be unable to be located because of the desolate terrain where they crashed.

-- BERNAMA

http://bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsindex.php?id=519518

(going OT alert !)

I remember there was a private jet with some very senior American (oil) executives that crashed in Sabah territory (at least that is the belief) very many years ago. So senior that an American post mortem team was dispatched here in preparation to do what they had to do. As far as I know, nothing was ever found from the search exercise. The team left Sabah after donating their equipment to our local hospital it was reported

One can only imagine that the terrain in Sabah is similarly dense, treacherous and unyielding as that found of Aceh

Why now?

"The search was mounted after local residents hunting for wood in the area reported finding the wreckage of an aircraft with a skeleton still in it."

"According to the records, two Malaysian aircraft were reported to have crashed in Aceh, one a Twin Otter in 1989 and the other a Skyvan in 1993."

9M-PID a Skyvan operated by Pan Malaysian Air Services crashed on 31-01-1993 with the loss of all 14 onboard but does anyone have details of which Malaysian Twin Otter crashed in Aceh in 1989?

Geoff

"According to the records, two Malaysian aircraft were reported to have crashed in Aceh, one a Twin Otter in 1989 and the other a Skyvan in 1993."

9M-PID a Skyvan operated by Pan Malaysian Air Services crashed on 31-01-1993 with the loss of all 14 onboard but does anyone have details of which Malaysian Twin Otter crashed in Aceh in 1989?

Geoff

Can't remember about the Twin Otter,

but I lost a friend in the Skyvan...

they were on a rescue mission..

Can't remember about the Twin Otter,

but I lost a friend in the Skyvan...

they were on a rescue mission..

what rescue mission? that time GAM was still powerful, right?

I think there was an oil spill cause by ship during that 93 incident..., Piaruddin I think the PMAT boss was one of the reported missing.

NoX

Can't remember clearly, but if not mistaken, there was a ship wrecked or something

to the north of Sumatera, and the Skyvan (belongs to Pan Malaysian) was sending

second group of divers (they were Singaporeans) to Banda Acheh to help with the rescue mission..

I just talked to the pilot-owner about renting his Skyvan for aerial photo works

couple of months before that... :sorry:

Sign in to follow this