MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Alif A. F.

Chamber fumes over the Labuan-KK air fare hike

Taken from Daily Express

Published on: Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Labuan: The Chinese Chamber of Commerce (CCC) here regrets that air passengers on the Labuan-KK-Labuan route will have to cough out another RM20 per way effective June 1.

Apart from the Business Class the fare had also been increased on other sectors and classes as well.

"It is certainly a sour gift from MASWings for the Harvest Festival," said CCC Chairman, Chin Chee Kee.

Chin said based on per kilometer, the air fare between Labuan and KK was already considered exorbitant and unreasonable. He said the Business Class one-way fare was RM308 and with the additional RM20 it would be RM328.

For a return fare it would be a whopping RM656. Compared to the fare to foreign destinations from KK, one could even purchase a lower fare to Kuala Lumpur," he said.

He noted there was no rationale for the airline hike the fare because for Business class travelers, they were unable to enjoy MAS Gold Lounge facilities at Labuan airport as it is not available.

He said adding to this, Business Class travelers also have to walk in the rain or sun to board the MASWings aircraft.

On what basis is it raising the fare?. The airline should understand its corporate social responsibility.

The airline should also understand that it is the only one that provide the service on the route and the public had no choice but depend on its aircraft," added Chin.

Said unless the KL-Labuan sector was priced reasonably it would be difficult for Labuan to gain from the tourism boom in Sabah.

"Most China travelers coming to Kota Kinabalu on chartered and other flights are paying less than RM600 for the trip which takes about two or more hours.

"Will they be prepared to pay such amount for a 20-minute travel to Labuan" Chin asked.

I didn't realize how expensive it is for a return business class ticket for such a short route...

In a way they don't really have a choice. This is like pre AK time, and AK doesn't want to ply this route. Yet they also don't want a bridge link to Kota Kinabalu because this will kill their business since Labuan people may as well buy from KK on a weekly basis.

What has corporate social responsibility got to do with flying business class?

Edited by Waiping

i'd agree fare price in borneo are much much higher for inter-city connection. (not to west malaysia)

but i guess this is just to off set the cost of operating aircraft there. I use to fly to BTU-MYY once a month and the aircraft was always 1/4 full !

Taken from Daily Express

Published on: Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Labuan: The Chinese Chamber of Commerce (CCC) here regrets that air passengers on the Labuan-KK-Labuan route will have to cough out another RM20 per way effective June 1.

Apart from the Business Class the fare had also been increased on other sectors and classes as well.

"It is certainly a sour gift from MASWings for the Harvest Festival," said CCC Chairman, Chin Chee Kee.

Chin said based on per kilometer, the air fare between Labuan and KK was already considered exorbitant and unreasonable. He said the Business Class one-way fare was RM308 and with the additional RM20 it would be RM328.

For a return fare it would be a whopping RM656. Compared to the fare to foreign destinations from KK, one could even purchase a lower fare to Kuala Lumpur," he said.

He noted there was no rationale for the airline hike the fare because for Business class travelers, they were unable to enjoy MAS Gold Lounge facilities at Labuan airport as it is not available.

He said adding to this, Business Class travelers also have to walk in the rain or sun to board the MASWings aircraft.

On what basis is it raising the fare?. The airline should understand its corporate social responsibility.

The airline should also understand that it is the only one that provide the service on the route and the public had no choice but depend on its aircraft," added Chin.

Said unless the KL-Labuan sector was priced reasonably it would be difficult for Labuan to gain from the tourism boom in Sabah.

"Most China travelers coming to Kota Kinabalu on chartered and other flights are paying less than RM600 for the trip which takes about two or more hours.

"Will they be prepared to pay such amount for a 20-minute travel to Labuan" Chin asked.

I didn't realize how expensive it is for a return business class ticket for such a short route...

It is not MASwingsla....they got it all wrong.....MASwings cannot simply raise fares...I have checked and they still have the old fares....

I think the boat is cheaper.

Just to highlight imported cars in Labuan are also cheaper due to lower tax. So they can drive a Land Cruiser and use the ferry.

Sign in to follow this