MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ikman Ikreza

Light Plane Makes Emergency Landing After Engine Stalled In Mid-air

KT26052010.jpg

KUALA TERENGGANU, May 26 (Bernama) -- A Diamond 40 light aircraft made an emergency landing at Pantai Tok Jembal here after its engine stalled in mid-air, 3,000 metres above the ground.

Trainee pilot Shafiq Mohd Kamil, 19, and flight trainer Naing Myint Khine, 46, of Asia Pacific Flight Training in Kota Baharu, Kelantan, were uninjured in the 10.45am incident.

Shafiq Haizam said he and his Myanmar national trainer took off from Kota Baharu to Sultan Mahmud Airport, here, at 8.11am for a routine training.

"We turned back to Kota Baharu after arriving at the airport here. However, when we were flying over Bukit Rakit at the height of 3,000 metres, the engine suddenly stalled. I tried to restart it but could not.

"The flight trainer then took over the controls and brought it to land at Pantai Tok Jembal," he told reporters at Sultanah Nur Zahirah Hospital here Wednesday.

He said that it was his first encounter with such experience and said that he was grateful to be safe.

The experience would not hamper his spirit in pursuing his dream to become a pilot, he added.

Shafiq Haizam has six more months to go before completing the two-year course.

A check at the scene found that the aircraft was intact with no serious damage visible.

Several firemen, police personnel and Asia Pacific Flight Training staff were also at the scene.

-- BERNAMA

Source : http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsindex.php?id=501224

Photo : By Utusan (M) Berhad.

The fifth light aircraft accident in as many months and four of the five seem to have been due to mechanical problems with the aircraft.

Anyway, congratulations to the pilot on making a safe forced landing - as they say any landing you can walk away from is a good one.

Geoff

Used to fly with Capt. Naing back in LGK and TGG. Glad to know he's OK. I'd really like to know what is going on with the DA-40 fleet. Hope whatever problem it is they can fix it and make sure the cadets can fly safely again. It is surely disheartening to know that the cadets have to risk flying something that has reliability issues.

"We turned back to Kota Baharu after arriving at the airport here. However, when we were flying over Bukit Rakit at the height of 3,000 metres, the engine suddenly stalled. I tried to restart it but could not.

Source : http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsindex.php?id=501224

Photo : By Utusan (M) Berhad.

I wonder, did he really said that?

And what is wrong with the DA-40? So many incidents, I think proportionally more than the old Warriors and Cessnas.

Capt..i think typo error kot? 3000 metres = nearly 9900ft.. or maybe he meant 300 metres?

Capt..i think typo error kot? 3000 metres = nearly 9900ft.. or maybe he meant 300 metres?

Logically it should be 3000 feet. Altitudes are always measured in feet, unless you are in the PR of China.

Logically it should be 3000 feet. Altitudes are always measured in feet, unless you are in the PR of China.

or Russian Federation :pardon:

Think it should be 3000 feet too...

It is 3000ft. Initially they request for 7000ft,which is safer as it can glide further. But both ECU failed before they got clearance to climb...

.....and, what is reason of engine stopped in the air? isn't there any news or information?

Sign in to follow this