MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Yuh Loh

Help to indentify the airport and a few vintage birds

Yes, the Comet 4 and DC-8's take offs are both noisy and smoky! The same goes for the B737-100/200.

IMHO the VC-10 was the worst when it comes to noise... :blink:

Yes, Concorde with the four afterburning RR-Snecma Olympus engines must be one of the loudest on take offs (AND landings). Also on this list is the Ilyushin Il-62 - another noisy smoky airliner.

Truly, your gramdma has got to be the Grandmother of all Aviation Spotters in Malaya.

And I suspect that she may have capture something more unique in 9M-AMM than she (and we) realised. The livery belonged to Malayan Airways (at its later stage) but the titles referred to "Syarikat Pernerbangan MALAYSIA" - meaning Malaysian Airways which was used in the period from 1963 onwards for a few years.

Can anyone confirm this and if that is correct, that makes this an early hybrid livery!

Love those pics . . . Norman, please dig out your antique shots too. A pity I could not afford a camera when I was young but I sure remember those MSA F-27s and the signature whine of their Rolls Royce Dart engines. The earliest shots I have were somewhat more modern planes taken at Paya Lebar Airport - JAL DC8, Philippine B727 etc.

Three cheers to your camera-toting grandma!!

KC Sim

KC,

It is confirmed that the titles on 9M-AMM were indeed "Syarikat Pernerbangan MALAYSIA".

I checked the photos of 9M-AMM, 9M-AML and 9M-AMN in that same livery (they are from the same source on ebay). And in another photo of 9M-AMJ in this similar livery but on the starboard side, the titles are in English: MALAYSIAN Airways.

Kwek