MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mushrif A

Forever cutting corners: MH LGK lounge to close

I received an email from MH that the LGK lounge will close from 01.01.10.

Looks like MH is really competing on a level playing field with AK!

And so, premium pax will only get to use the Westin Lounge at LGK, but ONLY INTERNATIONAL pax on flights to SIN. Domestic premium pax? Well, MH is too cheap to extend the "privilege" to them. Great hospitality (a.k.a discrimination)!

Well, starting 1/1/2010, good news for Enrich Silver members who can now checked in with the limited counters at KLIA but bad news for LGK. :rolleyes:

Well, starting 1/1/2010, good news for Enrich Silver members who can now checked in with the limited counters at KLIA but bad news for LGK. :rolleyes:

That's nothing new really. Silver cards used to be able to check in with gold cards & premium pax at that premium check in island at KUL. Then the perk was quietly removed, and now it seems reinstated as if it is really a new thing.

I received an email from MH that the LGK lounge will close from 01.01.10.

Looks like MH is really competing on a level playing field with AK!

And so, premium pax will only get to use the Westin Lounge at LGK, but ONLY INTERNATIONAL pax on flights to SIN. Domestic premium pax? Well, MH is too cheap to extend the "privilege" to them. Great hospitality (a.k.a discrimination)!

This will surely undermines LGK's status as an 'international' airport in Malaysia. Could it be because MH cannot sustain a healthy number of premium travellers to/fro the airport anymore, that the cost of maintaining the lounge is seen as a burden?

Well, starting 1/1/2010, good news for Enrich Silver members who can now checked in with the limited counters at KLIA but bad news for LGK.

That's nothing new really. Silver cards used to be able to check in with gold cards & premium pax at that premium check in island at KUL. Then the perk was quietly removed, and now it seems reinstated as if it is really a new thing.

The perk was quietly removed and now being reinstated back? I thought the rule that Siver Enrich members can check-in at any Business Class counters anywhere is still applied, and that this new check-in area designated for them will be at Row C in KUL. When I was there on 4 December 2009, nothing seems to be done about it.

If that's the case, shouldn't MH terminates the route first before closing the lounge? When SQ withdrawn from PEN on 1 December 2009, the SilverKris Lounge was closed down last.

This will surely undermines LGK's status as an 'international' airport in Malaysia. Could it be because MH cannot sustain a healthy number of premium travellers to/fro the airport anymore, that the cost of maintaining the lounge is seen as a burden?

The perk was quietly removed and now being reinstated back? I thought the rule that Siver Enrich members can check-in at any Business Class counters anywhere is still applied, and that this new check-in area designated for them will be at Row C in KUL. When I was there on 4 December 2009, nothing seems to be done about it.

Exactly....that's what i meant earlier on.

MH is a business

How ever could they possibly close down a lounge if the yield is promising enough?

Forumers have so much to judge. Period

Edited by Sohai Lim

Yes, we had no Golden Lounge when we travelled in Dec 2010, very grrr. As if it wasn't bad enough that LGK airport has no aerobridges - in this day and age, walking on the tarmac to the aircraft is so very LCC. Especially at the end of year when the monsoon season is on, running in the rain helter-skelter makes for a very poor impression. How on earth is LGK to be seen as an attractive international destination??!!

Yes, we had no Golden Lounge when we travelled in Dec 2010, very grrr. As if it wasn't bad enough that LGK airport has no aerobridges - in this day and age, walking on the tarmac to the aircraft is so very LCC. Especially at the end of year when the monsoon season is on, running in the rain helter-skelter makes for a very poor impression. How on earth is LGK to be seen as an attractive international destination??!!

IST airport also requires you to travel on foot even you're flying on their Full Service carrier!

And IST is an attractive international destination too.....

What's wrong with walking on the tarmac?

I've always felt LGK is more of a leisure market. So, it's good if they're going to close the lounge there if it doesn't make business sense.

Leisure market is not necessary cheap and low cost. Without airport lounge may deny high end resorts of demanding premium travelers.

IST airport also requires you to travel on foot even you're flying on their Full Service carrier!

And IST is an attractive international destination too.....

What's wrong with walking on the tarmac?

Walking on tarmac is not a problem if rain is not often e.g. Middle East.

As for the aerobridge in LGK, it was said that is was the G that wants LGK to be aerobridge-less. So don't complaint to the airlines unless the aerobridge is available and the airline decide not to use them.

Why don't MH do a trial run on EY pax can, on a certain fee, buy their entrance to the lounge. It might be interesting to see many EY pax who doesn't want or ineligible to fly J but willing to fork out for a lounge access just to chill before flight. No booze in the lounge will reduce the entrance fee tremendously.

There is already lounge you can pay to get in. Owned by Westin if Im not mistaken. Hardly anyone use it.

Sign in to follow this