RMAF may get own aerobatics team

I'm for the PC7-MkII ....

for those who watched the solo performance by PC7 pilots

in LIMA... you'll see that some aerobatic maneuvers by the

turboprop can't be replicated or very difficult to perform

in a jet aircraft..

I don't see any jet wiggles its tail left & right while

flying upside down

Aerobatic means bringing aerodynamic to the extreme limits...

(But the SU30 re-writes some theories of aerodynamic... :pardon: )

I think that the SU-30's arrogance towards the principles of aerodynamics is an awesome display of engine thrust and control. It also sometimes defy the laws of gravity. The Russian jets crashed because the pilots have become so used to the awesome power and control that they forget the basics of safety and go over the limit. When that happens everything falls like a stack of cards. What is awesome is also fragile if you don't give it proper respect, and the planes crash.

Our MiGs will retired soon, so why not use them as aerobatics aircraft rather than scraping it like skyhawks.

Why not sell them even better, as turning them into aerobatic planes means more maintenance expenditure, and isn't maintenance the reason why we have to let them go?? so i guess very highly unlikely that they'd be use either

Edited by Ignatius

I personally like to have a acrobatics team....representing Malaysia in international air shows....the question is do we really need to have one and do we have the $$$$ to finance its opearations throughout the year.....Bottomline, is it neccesary and what does our gomen intend to achieve ?

So we have now seen the MiG-29s at LIMA 2011 and Singapore Air Show 2012. What do you think? :)

Wow, trust flee to dredge up an ancient thread ... :good:

Edited by Naim

So we have now seen the MiG-29s at LIMA 2011 and Singapore Air Show 2012. What do you think? :)

We'll see them again on the 3rd of June in Subang next week...

We'll see them again on the 3rd of June in Subang next week...

Oh no, am away 03-06 June!

Yes .......... there was a team by RMAF about 25-30 years ago called 'Taming Sari', callsign 'MAKTAB PERDANA' (sometime they use 'DUSTY DIAMOND' as their callsign) consist of 12 Pilatus PC-7, flown by non other than our skillful RMAF pilots, whose primary job is teaching the ab-initio student in RMAF, based in Kepala Batas Alor Setar. Taming Sari was formed earlier than RAAF PC-9 aerobatic team.

IIRC, Taming Sari was the first ever team in the world which managed to do a 12 aircraft 'Barrel Roll' manouver under propeller category. Sadly, typical Malaysian way, it was short lived when a few idiots in a higher food chain didn't like the idea of having an aerobatic team, especially flown by propeller aircraft. These idiots disbanded, was once our National Pride team and until today our RMAF does not have any aerobatic team anymore.

Personally, I have the honour to watch their performance a few times and associated with the crew. Some had retired, some are still in service but most of them had left to join a greener pasture. Among others are Lt Col (Rtd) Dass (team leader), Col Samsuri Alias, Capt Redzuan Johari (now A330 capt MAS), Capt Khoo TB (now Air Asia capt), Maj Azhar Azali (now B777 capt EK), Capt Nazmi Sulaiman (now Airbus capt EY), Maj Sangeran (now Air Asia capt), Maj Tan Poh Keat (now B777 capt MAS) just to name a few. I salute you guys ........ :hi:

The 'Smokey Bandits' is not an aerobatic team per-se, it is just a 'tactical display' performed by a team of skillful MiG-29 jockeys .......... That is the reason why 'The Smokey Bandits' sequence and manouvers are less exciting compare to Red Arrows, Blue Angels, Frecce Tricolori etc ...... It does not mean the RMAF pilots are less skillful but they are 'RESTRICTED' to a tactical display only instead of a full aerobatics sequence and manouvers. Lt Col Mior Badlishah + team - you guys are still awesome .......... :good:

Stand to be corrected ......

:hi:

I remember years ago there were also "Keris Mas" ( Tigers ) and "Cakra Padah" ( Skyhawks ). Sorry if I spelled the team names wrongly. :)

'KRIS MAS' & 'CAKRA MADAH' were formation callsigns for No 12 Sqn F5 and No 6 sqn A4 Skyhawk respectively. I am not sure whether these callsigns are still in used today. These callsigns are used for day to day operation (training flights only).

'KRIS MAS' & 'CAKRA MADAH' were formation callsigns for No 12 Sqn F5 and No 6 sqn A4 Skyhawk respectively. I am not sure whether these callsigns are still in used today. These callsigns are used for day to day operation (training flights only).

Ahhh...thanks for correcting me. :)