MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

AirAsia lets go of its last 16 Boeing 737-300s

Last week, Tony Fernandes said that AirAsia will "let go" of all its 737s this week. Most of these aircraft are with Indonesia AirAsia. So how will QZ cope with the fleet depleted? Is AK transferring some of its older aircraft to them? Thai AirAsia has about half its fleet consisting on 737s - how can it maintain operations if they did not get more Airbuses? Is Airbus delivering more A320s than scheduled to AirAsia this year since there may be some cancellations and deferred deliveries? Is Airbus taking over the leases on AirAsia's old 737s?

I too wonder how they're going to cope , because the deliveries of the 320's have slowed down significantly as well .

Haven't seen any Indonesian AA or Thai AA crew training on 737 sim's in awhile either . He could be right , they all might be on their way out . I suspect he will bring the Thai crew to be on board MAA , and move most of the current MAA crew to the widebody ? Must be a very complex arrangement , but he never does something without thinking it through .

My guess is that ALL aircraft might be used as a common pool for now - so they just slot in the aircraft and crew for the flights. Does not matter which airline is assigned the flights. It may prove complicated for the accountants though. But this is what maximising aircraft utilisation is all about, isn't it? And it also fits in nicely about AirAsia being an ASEAN airline...

It may prove complicated for the accountants though

Complex business arrangements is extremely fertile ground for the bean counters to thrive on :p

Well let us see how they get out of this - it does not make much sense to fly a A320 into Bandung on reduced load, e.g. limit the number of pax to enable the aircraft to operate from the airport. Perhaps they might get a couple of A319's from Airbus?

I think the cost savings achieved using an all Airbus fleet is so significant that made them so gung ho about getting rid of the old 737-300s.

As much as I hated flying the those "ugly and fat Alberts", I had fond memories of them back when I was a POOR student in UTM Skudai. I remember back then flying MH was RM96 on student GRADS standby, but 49.90 on AK. Seats were all cramped together and the worst part is the extra rows of "different coloured seats"! The galley will creak each time the planes take off and some 733 didnt not come with air-con vents! Farewell to the 733! Too bad I won't miss you!

..... I had fond memories of them back when I was a POOR student in UTM Skudai .....

Well, it's so nice to see that you've moved on since then :)

Complex business arrangements is extremely fertile ground for the bean counters to thrive on :p

Bingo.

And it probably also means extra billable hours or their auditors.

.....now an even POORER TEACHER! Hahaha!

Bingo.

And it probably also means extra billable hours ......

Kenneth,

I suspect you are not maximizing potential of all those 'available for private tuition' hours ;)

Suggest you seek some consultative opportunity with Sing Yew :D

Kenneth,

I suspect you are not maximizing potential of all those 'available for private tuition' hours ;)

Suggest you seek some consultative opportunity with Sing Yew :D

Wow, got "kang tau" (business proposal)!

hahaha, I do actually, but the pay sucks and the hours are killing me!

I bet I can still find QZ 733 in KCH 3X weekly...too bad for late arrivals...or would be good to catch a few before it is gone for good!

Sign in to follow this