MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Pieter C.

Malaysia to phase-out troublesome MIG-29

..with regards to the SU30 MKM ,the key word here is contractual agreement or in this case 'disagreement'..the issue of the mostly western avionics intergration with the Russian software have apparently been sorted out with the final 6 and are ready for delivery , however RMAF has refused to accept the final package until the Russians implemented the updates on the first dozen..hence the year end target by RMAF ,feeling that by then the Russians wud have come to terms to the whole issue by then.

This basically has nothing to do with quality of the avionics being incoperated as it one of the best strike package seen on a similar airframe..its about the Russian trying to squeeze more money from it.

However , i believe common sense wud prevail on the part of the Russians.. if they wanna see the SU30 being considered for 2nd MRCA squadron..

..with regards to the SU30 MKM ,the key word here is contractual agreement or in this case 'disagreement'..the issue of the mostly western avionics intergration with the Russian software have apparently been sorted out with the final 6 and are ready for delivery , however RMAF has refused to accept the final package until the Russians implemented the updates on the first dozen..hence the year end target by RMAF ,feeling that by then the Russians wud have come to terms to the whole issue by then.

This basically has nothing to do with quality of the avionics being incoperated as it one of the best strike package seen on a similar airframe..its about the Russian trying to squeeze more money from it.

However , i believe common sense wud prevail on the part of the Russians.. if they wanna see the SU30 being considered for 2nd MRCA squadron..

..sorry for the double post above.

..in the case of the FA18D's ,it's not about arming codes but source codes which allows the end user to modify weapons attack alghorithm suited to the mission..mind you ,not even the Yanks closest allies i.e Aussies (tho' they've tried to hack it over the years) ,Israelis have the full codes thus always ensuring the Yanks having the upper hand when needed.Nevertheless ,RMAF FA18D's are still able to deliver all its weapons inc the 20+ AMRAAM's which is stored locally..the question arises whether they're able to engage another U.S made aircraft ,hence the need for the Russian made fighters..i.e SU30 ,MIG's to be acquired..this the Indonesians out found the hard way when encountering the U.S Navy FA18's a few years back.

• Like 1

..sorry for the double post above.

..in the case of the FA18D's ,it's not about arming codes but source codes which allows the end user to modify weapons attack alghorithm suited to the mission..mind you ,not even the Yanks closest allies i.e Aussies (tho' they've tried to hack it over the years) ,Israelis have the full codes thus always ensuring the Yanks having the upper hand when needed.Nevertheless ,RMAF FA18D's are still able to deliver all its weapons inc the 20+ AMRAAM's which is stored locally..the question arises whether they're able to engage another U.S made aircraft ,hence the need for the Russian made fighters..i.e SU30 ,MIG's to be acquired..this the Indonesians out found the hard way when encountering the U.S Navy FA18's a few years back.

Planning to engage USAF or US Navy?

:drinks:

Sell MiG29N to who? Myanmar?

I think our PC9 turboprop trainers is enough to defend our country... against Abu Sayyaf hijackers off the coast of Sabah!

BTW, if the MiG29N is sold, the most obvious choice would be additional SU30MKM. Of course, having a JAS39 Gripen (medium-weight fighter) would be a good complementary role to the Sukhoi (heavy-weight) and the Hawk 200 (light-weight fighter). The next question would be, what should be done with the 8 FA18D Hornet?

Edited by Fitri Shukri

I think our PC9 turboprop trainers is enough to defend our country... against Abu Sayyaf hijackers off the coast of Sabah!

BTW, if the MiG29N is sold, the most obvious choice would be additional SU30MKM. Of course, having a JAS39 Gripen (medium-weight fighter) would be a good complementary role to the Sukhoi (heavy-weight) and the Hawk 200 (light-weight fighter). The next question would be, what should be done with the 8 FA18D Hornet?

But apparently they don't think so, hence the submarines.

Me think RMAF have no problem to engage USAF or USN... in soccer match (sideline activity during joint air exercise)

It seem Russian is not supplying RMAF the source code or program on disk even the sub-systems integration is unique to RMAF. Why all the fuss about A/F-18D source code? :sorry:

It seem Russian is not supplying RMAF the source code or program on disk even the sub-systems integration is unique to RMAF. Why all the fuss about A/F-18D source code? :sorry:

at least the MkM is capable of firing all missiles available right?the integration problem is related to a source code?

another thing is,i thought the RMAF has a policy of buying only twin engine jets so that almost rules out the gripen right?

ive once heard from a friend in the navy that the F-18s MIGHT be tranfered to TLDM..any possibilities in seeing that happen?

• Like 1

another thing is,i thought the RMAF has a policy of buying only twin engine jets so that almost rules out the gripen right?

ive once heard from a friend in the navy that the F-18s MIGHT be tranfered to TLDM..any possibilities in seeing that happen?

What about the F-5E and A-4? They're single engined. And why do the Navy need fighter jets?

The F/A-18 will only be useful to the Navy if it has an aircraft carrier. Malaysia does not have any carriers - so why would it want the F/A-18 for?

What about the F-5E and A-4? They're single engined. And why do the Navy need fighter jets?

well..what i meant was for the new MRCA squadron..which was why the competition was more towards choosing between the superhornet and the flankers..that until the gripen came up..

The F/A-18 will only be useful to the Navy if it has an aircraft carrier. Malaysia does not have any carriers - so why would it want the F/A-18 for?

i was wondering the same thing..we dont really have a large sea to defend and im sure the hornets are capable of those range from land right?just my opinion.. :pardon:

Guys, if we frankly say why we need all these fighters for, the truth is, there is no need at all for fighter jets, no enemies what!!!

OUr main enemies are ourselves, just see how we thrash our Bae hawks in trainings.. how many left? We almost lost an F18 in kch due to tyre punctured during landing and that alone the poor pilot ejected!

If the Govt says the Mig 29 has to go, if by all means if it helps in easing their pocket money.. so be it. Better than crashing them while in training exercises. I love the Mig 29 as much as anyone else... but the govt need to use the brain the next time they purchase the replacement for it, rather than putting the mentality of being the first to operate a certain kind of fighter plane and not read the T&C properly... ANd HEY ITS OUR MONEY YOU GUYS SPENT on these jets.. so use it wisely!!

Guys, if we frankly say why we need all these fighters for, the truth is, there is no need at all for fighter jets, no enemies what!!!

OUr main enemies are ourselves, just see how we thrash our Bae hawks in trainings.. how many left? We almost lost an F18 in kch due to tyre punctured during landing and that alone the poor pilot ejected!

If the Govt says the Mig 29 has to go, if by all means if it helps in easing their pocket money.. so be it. Better than crashing them while in training exercises. I love the Mig 29 as much as anyone else... but the govt need to use the brain the next time they purchase the replacement for it, rather than putting the mentality of being the first to operate a certain kind of fighter plane and not read the T&C properly... ANd HEY ITS OUR MONEY YOU GUYS SPENT on these jets.. so use it wisely!!

I think we need fighter jets...to show off especially when SAF F-16 fly near JB! :p

...boss ,it only has to be US made..others around here fly US made aircraft too..

...boss ,it only has to be US made..others around here fly US made aircraft too..

...agree with u bout the money bit and wat the government should do but lets not give that same cold shoulder treatment to our men n women in the military..they're like u and me except they put their lives on the line on the job for you..we can do better than that.

...our mission computers are Indian DRDO not Russian so its not an issue..

Indonesian Minister: no need to wage war over Ambalat

www.chinaview.cn 2009-06-08 18:13:10 Print

Jakarta, June 8 (Xinhua) -- Indonesia doesn't need to wage war against Malaysia over Ambalat border dispute as negotiation over the oil-rich block border area is underway at the moment, an Indonesian minister said here on Monday.

"I already met my Malaysian counterpart. We agreed to solve the border dispute through dialogues conducted by the foreign affairs ministries of the two countries," the Detik.com news portal quoted National Resilience Minister Juwono Sudarsono as saying on the sidelines of a hearing with lawmakers in the parliament building.

Talks about the disputing border are underway in the two ministries at the moment, Juwono said.

He called on the military authorities and public in the two countries to control themselves, averting from hostile acts in theborder area.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-06/...nt_11509070.htm

Historically, most conflicts between countries are over resources.

Indonesian Minister: no need to wage war over Ambalat

www.chinaview.cn 2009-06-08 18:13:10 Print

Jakarta, June 8 (Xinhua) -- Indonesia doesn't need to wage war against Malaysia over Ambalat border dispute as negotiation over the oil-rich block border area is underway at the moment, an Indonesian minister said here on Monday.

"I already met my Malaysian counterpart. We agreed to solve the border dispute through dialogues conducted by the foreign affairs ministries of the two countries," the Detik.com news portal quoted National Resilience Minister Juwono Sudarsono as saying on the sidelines of a hearing with lawmakers in the parliament building.

Talks about the disputing border are underway in the two ministries at the moment, Juwono said.

He called on the military authorities and public in the two countries to control themselves, averting from hostile acts in theborder area.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-06/...nt_11509070.htm

Historically, most conflicts between countries are over resources.

And women.