MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azreen

MAS with RM3.75 billion Cash

1. Isn't buying other airline company also means buying most of their equipments if not all? What's the point of buying an airlines without aircraft?

Now that you brought this up ... yeah. Might as well just buy new aircraft for themselves right ? Haha

2. Although MH's A330 are rather old, SQ in fact ordered brand new A330s, so this should give an impression that if B737 is Boeing's most successful short-haul aircraft then the A330 should be considered the most successful Airbus model based on years of service. So instead of replacing them altogether would replacing or overhauling the engines make the plane more efficient? After all I assume no change in aircraft design so any efficiency gained on the newer A330 should be contributed by the engines themselves.

I don't think so. They can't simply switch to other engine type. Roll-Royce is by far the most powerful engine available for the 333 at the moment and MAS currently is using P&W. The fuel burn per miles achieved is also much less then the old generation 333 as well.

The next generation 333 (dubbed A330-300X or A330-300E) also has some other modification but i can't recall them now. Anyway, what i do remember is that CX love their 333 so much because it is claimed that they can fly their 333 profitably even if the plane has ZERO fare-paying passengers (in other word EMPTY) in it but with a full load of cargo. If you check their flight schedule to TPE they are some flights operated using 333 around 2am or 3am and those flights as far as i know, usually has no passenger but with a full load of cargo and they have been doing this or many many years now.

Still better than MH and also you do get miles. While MH lets just say nothing. BI's under 17 policy consider as child is very attractive. :drinks:

MH also on a number of routes to Asia and Australia don't have miles which others can go to for ex CX, SQ or BI and even EK and they offer very attractive fare, miles and QUALITY. Not some cheap product as many travellers see in Asia quite common food is provided on even 2hr flights and the food is quality and portion is demmed reasonable unlike someone's I call it the Happy Meal. Happy Meal= Snack Box but no toy. :pardon:

I wouldn't call BI having a quality product but it is true that they are very cheap. Two of my cousins are attending Trinity College now in PER and they fly BI all the time because it's super cheap. They also get 25KG of luggage allowance instead of the regular 20KG.

The next generation 333 (dubbed A330-300X or A330-300E) also has some other modification but i can't recall them now. Anyway, what i do remember is that CX love their 333 so much because it is claimed that they can fly their 333 profitably even if the plane has ZERO fare-paying passengers (in other word EMPTY) in it but with a full load of cargo. If you check their flight schedule to TPE they are some flights operated using 333 around 2am or 3am and those flights as far as i know, usually has no passenger but with a full load of cargo and they have been doing this or many many years now.

Impressive! The traffic between TPE and HKG is simply ridiculous!

Still better than MH and also you do get miles. While MH lets just say nothing. BI's under 17 policy consider as child is very attractive. :drinks:

MH also on a number of routes to Asia and Australia don't have miles which others can go to for ex CX, SQ or BI and even EK and they offer very attractive fare, miles and QUALITY. Not some cheap product as many travellers see in Asia quite common food is provided on even 2hr flights and the food is quality and portion is demmed reasonable unlike someone's I call it the Happy Meal. Happy Meal= Snack Box but no toy. :pardon:

Happy meal on flight, nice!

By nature of airline business i.e. advance and return ticket purchased, any airline should have pile of cash for their treasury to invest. With the current load, yield and fuel hedging commitment, MH will find it difficult preserve their cash.

Given current financial situation, it is unlikely MH will upgrade or replace 333, 772 or 774 in the short to medium term.

:drinks:

By nature of airline business i.e. advance and return ticket purchased, any airline should have pile of cash for their treasury to invest. With the current load, yield and fuel hedging commitment, MH will find it difficult preserve their cash.

Given current financial situation, it is unlikely MH will upgrade or replace 333, 772 or 774 in the short to medium term.

Not surprising considering other airlines are deferring delivery of their new planes. :(

What's 774 is its boeing 777-400 is it going to be Boeing's new composite 777 :drinks:

It's a great time for MH to buy new planes as nobody wants to buy planes. There are many savings to inccure :yahoo:

What's 774 is its boeing 777-400 is it going to be Boeing's new composite 777 :drinks:

It's a great time for MH to buy new planes as nobody wants to buy planes. There are many savings to inccure :yahoo:

Ooops! supposed to be 744 :p

Buying new planes is expensive and no doubt an airline doesn't simply renew its fleet without evaluate its current fleet and network requirements.

But, MAS has indicated its plan for WB fleet renewal before and I believe there must be some good ground for MAS to based on, eg. aging fleet, fuel ineffieciency, route expansions...etc. Yes, the market demand has changed since then and it is in bad shape now. But viewing new planes take few years for delivery, i am not sure if it is a wise move for MAS to put on hold the WB fleet renewal until 'market recovery'.

Btw, does MH own or lease its A330 fleet ?

Until dust is settled at PM department, MoF, Khazanah and PMB, no decision will be made on any large ticket purchase.

Btw, does MH own or lease its A330 fleet ?

I believe it's owned by Pernerbangan Malaysia Berhad (PMB). A company that we don't know how it stands financially :rolleyes:

I believe it's owned by Pernerbangan Malaysia Berhad (PMB). A company that we don't know how it stands financially :rolleyes:

Hahaha...

Interesting topic. I have a few questions.

1. Isn't buying other airline company also means buying most of their equipments if not all? What's the point of buying an airlines without aircraft?

2. Although MH's A330 are rather old, SQ in fact ordered brand new A330s, so this should give an impression that if B737 is Boeing's most successful short-haul aircraft then the A330 should be considered the most successful Airbus model based on years of service. So instead of replacing them altogether would replacing or overhauling the engines make the plane more efficient? After all I assume no change in aircraft design so any efficiency gained on the newer A330 should be contributed by the engines themselves.

1. Existing airlines may hold landing rights that MAS does not have. So it can be advantageous to have these rights.

2. The modern day A333s like those SQ are flying feature RR's latest Trent engines - lots of improvements have been made since the 1990's vintage GE and P&W engines were introduced. Avionics and other electronic systems have also improved leaps and bounds. Some airlines have also specified the same (updated/upgraded) avionics as the A346 and A345 for their A333s.

Sign in to follow this