MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Y. J. Foo

Smoking flights

We used to have smoking flights and smoking zones labelled in airline schedules, but now there's virtually none of the major airlines still allows smokers to smoke during flights. If my memory serves me correctly MAS has gone fully smoking-free airline from Sep. 2000. Even before that, smoking was only allowed for certain flights to London, Japan and Middle East. And the ashtrays built into the armrests that I used to fiddle around when I was young are now disabled...at least on 737s.

So...is there still any major airlines defending somkers' rights and enable smokers to smoke?

wah.......never knew can smoke in airlines......btw, i care a d*** if smoking is banned in any kind of way......coz I dont smoke tongue.gif

Long time ago...to be in an airliner with style...smoking is OK.

Not anymore....

I remember passenger who doesn't get smoking seats, they end up at the back of an aircraft to have a puff.

Imagine this...the ashtray is still available at the Toilet Doors!!!!! Not the seat!! laugh.gif On MH 777...all toilet doors still has it ashtrays. rolleyes.gif

I remember that when I flown Air NZ's Boeing 767-219ERs and 767-319ERs in the early 90s from AKL-SIN and back... On one of the flights from SIN-AKL, the check-in counter told us that the flight is full and no more none smoking seats for us.... Holy smoke, we were stucked at the back of the a/c with all these smokers. For a 10 hours long flight, it is not funny and my record clean lungs is filled with those second hand smoke which is more lethal than first hand smoke.

I remember that when MAS started banning smoking on all their flights from 1993 onwards..... flights to Japan was the only exception. Apparently the Japanese are one of the largest groups of heavy smokers and basically they will not get onboard if you don't allow them to smoke. Eventually when Japanese airlines themselves or IATA banned smoking in flight as more and more people are health conscious..... Flights to and out of Japan are all non-smoking.

I am glad they got rid of the in-flight smoking thing forever. I saw ashtrays on 777s too but the NO SMOKING sign seems to be on the whole time.

Imagine this...the ashtray is still available at the Toilet Doors!!!!! Not the seat!! laugh.gif On MH 777...all toilet doors still has it ashtrays. rolleyes.gif

19125[/snapback]

...!?!? Then what the heck the smoke detectors are for?? blink.gif blink.gif

The good old days of aviation is long gone... sad.gif and I didn't get to experience it... sad.gif sad.gif

Personally I would prefer when smoking is prohibited in flight, mainly because I couldn't stand the smoke

Those smoking zones was really a joke. As if the smoke fumes will stay within those zones, especially in a confined space like an aircraft.

I still can remember that trailing yellow/brown stains leading to air vents on MH's DC-10s caused by the smoke fumes. wacko.gif

If smokers can't stand not smoking for a couple of hours, imagine the rest of the plane being unable to breathe for that couple of hours. wink.gif

Sign in to follow this